USS Tennessee 1869 by Keith Black - scale 1:120 - Wood Hull Screw Frigate - ex Madawaska 1865

Keith,

Sorry to hear about Maggie’s difficulties!

The Tennessee is looking great!  I had never heard of the weave method to make ratlines before.  That is interesting and looks amazing!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Those ratlines are truly magnificent Keith. The shot with them mounted shows how perfect they are. Clearly your skills are in no way diminished. Keep up the good work.

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Fantastic work on the ratlines, Keith!   Your usual meticulous attention to the task.  I've never built a full masted ship, but I can imagine the difficulties in placing the figures after-the-fact.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

As to the the disposition of the figures, it is useful to make a sort of 'story-board', at least meantally, that notes down what is happening, who is involved (officers and ratings), and how many are needed for the task.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thank you to all for the likes, your support is most welcome.

19 hours ago, Jay 1 said:

She’s looking great, Keith—well done, sir! 

Thank you, Jay.

12 hours ago, wefalck said:

The long beading needle are good idea, as they allow you to align the ratlines properly before you pull the thread through 👍🏻

Eberhard, sometimes I'll miss a shroud and won't know I've missed till the thread is pulled through. It's a simple matter of doing it over as there's no glueing till all the shrouds have been woven successfully. 

10 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Keith,

Sorry to hear about Maggie’s difficulties!

The Tennessee is looking great!  I had never heard of the weave method to make ratlines before.  That is interesting and looks amazing!

Thank you, Phil. Several of us discussed the weaving process pages 16 and 17 but I never actually photographed the needle in action. I'll do so when I weave the starboard side.

9 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Those ratlines are truly magnificent Keith. The shot with them mounted shows how perfect they are. Clearly your skills are in no way diminished. Keep up the good work.

Thank you, Keith

8 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Fantastic work on the ratlines, Keith!   Your usual meticulous attention to the task.  I've never built a full masted ship, but I can imagine the difficulties in placing the figures after-the-fact.

Thank you, Gary. I messed about a little last night seeing how difficult it is adding a figure climbing the rats and 'working' on the spars, tedious.  It's going to be a challenge adding the figures in a meaningful manner.

6 hours ago, wefalck said:

As to the the disposition of the figures, it is useful to make a sort of 'story-board', at least meantally, that notes down what is happening, who is involved (officers and ratings), and how many are needed for the task.

Understood and that's the mental process I'm currently going through. Thank you. Eberhard. 

4 hours ago, Rick310 said:

Very nice!! 
Rick

Thank you, Rick.

Thank you to all for following along, I wish I could sit with everyone in a group and chat over strong coffee and artery clogging donuts.

God bless each of you,

Keith 

Well trained centipede :) - looks good mate.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Bit late to the party here... the ratlines are fantastic; you are very skilled Keith. Really enjoying the progress on the boat.

I have some experience of being a carer to my father who had Lewy Body Dementia. Despite some dark moments, I mostly remember the great moments of fun we had together - the laughs always echo loudest as you'll no doubt know. Best wishes to you both, and keep a smile somewhere close!

Edited by FlyingFish

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

Keith, dear bro, it looks like there are 27 dedicated followers here, plus drop-ins from time to time. Grass Lake is west of Ann Arbor, right? I’ll bring the donuts, if you can provide the coffee, and we’ll all have a grand time. Let’s call it a NRG mini convention. Aside from that, we get to see your efforts up close. One of the things that is lost in the excellent photography is the scale of this model.

Pat @BANYAN, Rick @Rick310, and Andy @FlyingFish thank you for your kind comments. 

6 hours ago, clearway said:

i would bring  a few bottles of Cumbrian real ale as well Keith😁

Keith, will that get past all the check-in hoopla? 

5 hours ago, TBlack said:

Grass Lake is west of Ann Arbor, right? I’ll bring the donuts, if you can provide the coffee, and we’ll all have a grand time. Let’s call it a NRG mini convention.

Tom, yes we're about 23 miles west of Ann Arbor. 

This sounds like the makings of an MSW/NRG Noggin n' Natter and I'm up for it!!

Our house sits on two lots, 3/4 of an acre in total. The lot on the west side is empty, plenty of room for car and camper parking. We've got a 7 foot fire ring that I burn brush in but we can make it tidy, a quarter cord of firewood and we can stay up all night making S'mores donuts and campfire coffee.

Gawd, that sounds like so much fun. :36:

Thank you for the likes and for following along. Consider yourselves invited. 

Keith

38 minutes ago, TBlack said:

It may take me awhile, but I'm going to remember this!

Tom(your brother)

Please do, Tom.