BETAQDAVE Posted April 23, 2019 Share #1 Posted April 23, 2019 Having had training in safety and first aid in College and the Army, I recently had an oops in my shop where I had to make use of that training on myself. When cutting sheet metal, I was always cautious with handling the metal itself, but apparently not so much with handling the cutter. Quite by accident, I have just recently discovered a new way to skin a cat. (Or was that a new way to skin myself?) I found, much to my dismay, that the new cutter I recently acquired (That was touted as capable of cutting just about anything, especially those obnoxious plastic blister packs that everything sold seems to be enclosed in.) shown below was also quite adapt at cutting flesh! The blades are a tough alloy that is extremely sharp with a finely serrated edge that won’t slip while cutting. They are spring loaded which makes them easy to handle. (Maybe a little too easy?) Well anyways, while carefully holding the sheet metal in my left hand and the cutter in my right, I was intently concentrating on following my marked cut line. As I got close to the end of my cut, I seem to have lost track of exactly where my fingers on my left hand were. You guessed it!! They were lined up with the cut as I apparently was trying to grip both the sheet and the cut off. While I was successful in holding both, I suddenly realized that the tip of the cutter cut more than just the metal. Don’t ask how I did it, but I had managed to cleanly cut a good sized chunk of skin lengthwise off of the inside of my middle finger. Somehow, apparently with surgical precision, I cut completely through the skin without damaging the muscles or tendons. Surprisingly enough, there was not much pain and very little bleeding. So at first I really didn’t think that it was too bad until I held up my hand and the flap of skin fell open. Having a first aid kit in the shop really paid off though as I was able to take care of it quickly. Once I cleaned it out with water and hydrogen peroxide, I managed to roll the flap closed and tacked back in place with a few dabs of CA adhesive to hopefully save the skin. Covering the wound with an antibacterial coated band aid made specifically for finger injuries that came in the kit, all seems well. (see below) Since I had recently gotten a tetanus booster, I will just watch it closely for a while. As they say, figure out what went wrong, and try not to repeat the same mistake again. Although I did learn that thanks to some foresight on my part by having a first aid kit so handy to allow some quick repairs, and keeping my tetanus shots up to date I saved myself a trip to the clinic. Hopefully the skin will reattach itself in place as that many layers of skin take quite a long time to grow back and spare myself the pain of having raw tissue exposed until it does. I once had my big toe nail torn off that exposed the raw tissue below that issued me a painfully clear warning to not do that again any time soon! So take heed of my warning here and make sure that you keep a first aid kit handy and know a little bit about first aid so you know just what to do with it!! lmagna, thibaultron, Keith Black and 7 others 10 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.