HMS Triton Cross Section by Edwardkenway - 1:64 probably more like 1:60 - FINISHED

Thanks for that Chad!!😀.

I have to admit that I have not spent as much time on this as I have on the full build. But it does keep calling me back when I'm waiting for some glue to dry. 

There's still quite a few bits and pieces that still need making and fitting,  but there's no rush. 

Till next time 

Cheers 👍😀

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

On 11/26/2019 at 3:54 PM, Edwardkenway said:

Hi, it's been a while since I've been on the Xsection, but had extra couple of hours in the workroom so made up one of the gangways. The brackets are wood and not metal but I don't think it matters to much. I can't fit it til I've rigged the cannon. Still got the other one to make.

That's next time though. 

Cheers. 

Thanks to all for the likes and looking in 👍😀

20191126_225555.jpg

20191126_225610.jpg

I like that idea of using wood for those brackets.   I'm thinking of using it on my current build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, I found making them from wood a lot easier than from metal, I was never very good with soldering. 

I used 1mm x 1mm walnut, I'm not sure what your equivalent imperial size is.

I'll be sure to check La Belle Poule out, thanks for looking in. Hope you've not got too much snow?

Cheers 

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back,  I think that the cross section needs a bit of attention as I've been concentrating on the Triton full hull and getting the plans for Winchelsea printed and sourcing the materials for the bulkheads. 

Anyway the second gangway has been made, (twice because I forgot to make it as a mirror image and ended up with two starboard side gangways 😖) Also fitted  the capping rail and made the fenders, not fitted. Next I'll make the entry steps.

Sorry no photos but will post some next time. 

Thanks for the likes😁

Cheers 👍

Current builds;

Completed:

Hello, managed to get a couple or three hours at the workbench, and made a scraper to form the entry steps, I've also fitted them and the fenders to one side of the cross section, the gangway to the same side has been fitted as there are no guns going that side.

Thanks for the likes. 😁

Cheers for now 👍

20191217_170249.jpg

20191217_170354.jpg

20191217_170304.jpg

20191217_170318.jpg

20191217_170522.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Looking good, Edward.   Double the plans.  I don't think that black strip runs through the ladder/steps.  I don't have my plans handy (stored away with stuff I've finished) so I can't say for sure.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thankyou Mark, no I've got to change a couple of steps as one should be set where the moulding is! 

Just a small error on my part😖

Thanks for looking in and your advice 👍

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi, just a quick update, I've repositioned the entry steps and adding one more as per plans. Also made the gangway ladder which will go on the side with the deck planking when I finally fit that gangway. 

My thanks to everyone who has looked in,  liked and for comments.

Cheers 👍😁

20191218_212019.jpg

20191218_212130.jpg

20191218_211507.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Thankyou Chad, I welcome your input and advice. Hopefully I shall keep getting better but at the moment I still look at what I've done and see where I could have done it differently or better and neater. I still make plenty of errors and most things get made or done more than once. It all helps the learning curve though 😁

Eamonn  and Phil  thanks for your continued support  I really appreciate it👍

Cheers 

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all, another small update, I decide to fit the access ladder to the gangway on the unplanked side, therefore I had to put a small area of deck for the ladder to stand on. Also made the second gun barrel, it still needs painting. 

To rig the cannon I need blocks but looking through my bits and pieces I have not got enough so I'm attempting to make my own. I've used a piece of 4x3mm walnut and made 4 single and 4 double blocks. I need to get them to look less "blocky" if you get my meaning. I thought if I put them in a small pot with coarse sand it might work a bit like a tumbler,  I'll let you know how I get on next time. 

I appreciate all the likes, comments and advice 😁

Cheers 👍👍

20191221_221813.jpg

20191221_221625.jpg

20191221_221653.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

The entry steps look so much better re-fitted.   And I apologize for my typing... I really need to proof read before hitting "submit".

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Mark,  have a merry Christmas and a happy new year .

Current builds;

Completed:

Thanks Edward.  I wish the same to you and your family.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I round my blocks off with my knife, before I cut them off the strip.

Trying to round them off after the fact is risky in my opinion (to your fingers, I may or may not have cut myself trying to modify previously made blocks).

8B0E651E-B0AC-4A1E-92A6-30428FEF1C61.jpeg

23D87E22-43F3-432A-99E7-5E1296AAD006.jpeg

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Both of your Tritons are looking awesome!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Thanks for the compliment Phil, hopefully the cross section will be done and dusted by the new year,  and then I'll have Triton full hull do and Winchelsea to start.😆

Yes that's the better way, I've put the first attempt in the bin, I will try again😁👍

Merry Christmas and happy new year to you and your family 🎄🎁😁

Current builds;

Completed:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, happy new year to everyone. 

My first time back in the workroom since before the holidays and I had to buy some blocks from Chris Wattons Vanguard Models as my attempts were absolutely atrocious, so I took the easy route. 

Have finally rigged one cannon still have the other to do. 

The one I have done has been fitted as "run in" mainly because I found it easier to fit the tackles but also I've not seen any portrayed this way. I may be wrong and someone else has done it. I kind of like it. The second cannon will be fitted "run out " as the norm.

Thanks for all the likes, comments and input from you all, it is much appreciated. 

Cheers 👍😁

20200103_123801.jpg

20200103_123745.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Looking good!

Thanks for the likes and comments 

I managed an hour today and got number 2 gun rigged and fitted,  next time it's  flake the out haul line down and fit the gangway and ladder. 

Cheers 👍😁20200107_181640.thumb.jpg.73290a93b93a3a60a4603c05e9b409ce.jpg

20200107_181714.jpg

20200107_181616.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Well done!

Hello everyone,  another hour or two working on the Xsection has seen the last line coiled, the gangway and ladder fitted and glued and the skid beams fitted, not glued as I don't know wether to paint them or leave them natural,  but apart from that I'm going to call this finished. 

Once I've decided on the skid beams I will put a final coat of matt varnish on where it needs it and that's it. 

Thanks to all of you who followed this project which was a big learning experience for me,  I must say that I enjoyed it and it has given me a taste for an attempt at a fully framed build but not yet as I have the Triton full hull and I have the Winchelsea project to do first, but I hope to do one in the future. 

Cheers and thank you 👍😁😃

20200108_195045.jpg

20200108_195034.jpg

20200108_194744.jpg

20200108_194706.jpg

20200108_194749.jpg

20200108_194810.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Thank you   I've enjoyed it immensely,  it's  quite a step up from a kit but gives a great sense of achievement knowing you made the components but with the added bonus of the plans already provided for you .

Cheers

Current builds;

Completed:

Thanks Chad, now I can put all my effort into the full build.

Current builds;

Completed:

Thanks, I've been following your Victory build and wow!! at that scale

Current builds;

Completed:

Looks great, Edward.  One would never know this is your first scratch build.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: