HMS Triton by Edwardkenway - 1:64 scale

Hi all, I'm doing this as having bought the plans for the cross section I thought I might as well use the full ship plans too.

When I get time I will cut the bulkheads and centreboard. Til then please bear with me as I f I'm not here I will be next door on the cross section. 

Cheers

Edited by Edwardkenway
To put in scale

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Finally managed to resize and print the centre board. 

I'm going to be cutting it and the bulkheads out tomorrow, then dry fit to see if everything is ok .

20190914_212824.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Hi LS., thanks for looking in.

This one is a bit slow moving at the moment. I have started the cross section.  It's in the group projects for Triton,  then cross sections.

To be honest that is not going any faster but it is a great learning experience. 

Cheers

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all, so started to cut bulkheads out but found that I can't get  my trusty coping saw in as there is to much board,  I think I will borrow my dad's jigsaw to rough cut them and then do the precision cut with old trusty. 

Til then cheers. 

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all, 

The borrowed jigsaw did the job and then had 2 or 3 hours with old trusty cutting the b/h . I've dry fitted them to the keel former and there is quite a bit of tweaking to do.

I must say although it's still using a saw it made a change from cutting the components for the x section frames. 

20190918_230324.thumb.jpg.5ec5f7a4a256ad6ba5a0d90f8eb1ee6e.jpgI'm gonna need a bigger table!!

20190918_230312.jpg

If I'm going to do more of this type of build I got to get a band saw or a scroll saw,  it was a lot of cutting. 

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Hello LS, yes I bought these plans from NRG for $5 = £4.34. I hope to make everything but the cannon, rigging yarn, blocks and deadeyes but we will see if I can manage this.

It's going to be quite a challenge but I have no time constrictions on this build, it will be as and when.

Thanks for looking in. 

Cheers 😀

Current builds;

Completed:

Really nice start, Edward and welcome at the Triton shipyards

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thankyou and thanks  for having me.

Current builds;

Completed:

Looks good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 3 weeks later...

Nice progress.  Everything looks pretty good from here.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Phil, Mark thanks for the nice comments. 😀👍

I've stalled on this build as I'm  getting stuck into the cross section and I'm also waiting to get some swiss pear for the keel, stem and sternpost but I'm finding it hard to get hold of over here without paying through the nose. But hey ho I'll get there eventually 

Cheers 

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi Edward

Have you tried here for the pearwood, in blocks so you will have to slice up yourself, I bought a couple last year and cut them on the band saw

www.exotichardwoodsukltd.com/product-category/dimension-blocks-squares/pearwood-dimension-blocks-squares/

Not to far away in Staffordshire as well, prices dont include postage

Regards

Paul

Edited by paulsutcliffe

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Hi Paul, I will check that site out, thank you. 

I did see some on ebay 340×150×6mm which I've ordered, but always handy to know where to get more and different types and species of wood. I think your build of Sirius is excellent by the way. 

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

In the "Wood" subforum, (https://modelshipworld.com/forum/20-wood-discussion/) there's a pinned topic on "where to buy wood".  There's also lots of posts on where to buy it so some digging there might be worthwhile.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good call Mark,  I did some digging in the wood discussion and found a site in Germany (Massiv-Holtz-werkstatt).

They have got plenty of species and ready milled wood, strips and boards, no boxwood but pear, cherry,  beech etc.. reasonably priced and they ship to the UK. Just need to buy enough timber to justify 28 euro postage. That said my next order of wood will be from this site.

@paulsutcliffe I checked the site you mentioned and they've got some decent wood but at the moment I haven't got a saw to cut it with but thanks

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Hello again,  it's been a few weeks since I've done anything on this build, but my small piece of 6mm pear has arrived so I've cut out the forepiece out. 

I have cheated a bit,  in such as it is in two parts instead of eight because I made a right hash of my first try at cutting all the parts separately. 

Also I finally found a place to get my planking from in the uk. 

Now I know Chuck is planking the Winnie with Alaskan Yellow Cedar and it looks very good,  so when I found the store here in the uk stocking AYC I decided to get it for my Triton as I'm getting slightly bored of walnut as hull planking. 

The  store is online and is The Balsacabin.co.uk

Cheers till next time 

20191014_230713.jpg

20191014_230727.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway
Forgot to add photos

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all 

Cut some more of the keel pieces  but nothing more.

I'm waiting for my Alaskan yellow Cedar that I ordered to arrive. 

That's it for now 

Cheers 

20191018_220142.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

I've received my delivery of Alaskan Yellow Cedar today, so hopefully will try and find some time to fair the bulkheads on my Triton this weekend and work out the planking belts,  but everything depends on life leaving me alone for a bit.

It does look very nice wood with clean sharp edges, and didn't break the bank👍😉

Cheers

Sorry for the photo quality 

20191025_140507.jpg

20191025_140425.jpg

20191025_140524.jpg

20191025_140539.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi LS,  I had started to fair the bulkheads but because of the rain I put it on hold, have to do the sanding outside, but Sunday's weather looks better so I'll get cracking on with them.

Thanks for looking in 👍

Cheers. 

@mtaylor thanks for the continued support and encouragement 😀

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all, well the sun came out today so I took the Triton framework into the garden and made some dust, I didn't realise just how much wood needed removing but all bulkheads are back in the former and may need a bit of tweaking here and there. 

I think that I will recut number 27 bulkhead as it looks wrong and when the test batten was placed it gave the stern a flare and not the gentle curve that my deck template has.

Have squared up the bulkheads but still got to put some strengthened in and some filler blocks. 

That said I have got ahead of myself with putting the timbers for gunport  in because if the bulkheads aren't squared they'll have to come off.

That's it till next time 

Cheers 👍😀

20191027_225234.jpg

20191027_211334.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all, LS you were right everything was fine, albeit with a little bit of tweaking. The forepiece has been fitted and I've placed strengthening pieces between the bulkheads, which have also helped keep them square and true.  The filler blocks at the stern still need shaping and sanding. I'll do that next time along with the timbers for the stern.

Cheers👍😀

20191030_112730.jpg

20191031_224632.jpg

20191031_224646.jpg

20191030_112737.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all, LS I'm not sure that I shall need fillers at the bow though they are need at the stern, but this is where I've got a problem. I have done filler blocks  taking the shaping from the fully framed plans but it just doesn't look right,  so I'm hoping someone will help me out.(see photos)

Stern aside I've framed the gunports and fixed the keel to the former. 

Once I have got the stern sorted I shall make the framework for the great cabin, counter and taffrel.

Til next time 

Cheers 👍

Thanks to all for looking in and the likes.

20191102_222217.jpg

20191102_222225.jpg

20191102_222242.jpg

20191102_222233.jpg

20191102_222121.jpg

20191102_112142.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Maybe I'm wrong but the stern filler looks a bit short as the deck will go back beyond the rudder post and rudder.  Otherwise... ship shape and ready to rock and roll.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Edward, 

She's looking good so far. As for the filler blocks, (and please forgive me if I am over simplifying the issue) can you lay a test plank against the Stern and, in the same way you check the fairing of the bulkheads, check the profile of the filler block. If the filler block won't allow a correct lay you need to sand more off. If there  are gaps you have sanded of too much and require padding out.

I hope this helps but if l have misunderstood you and stated the obvious, please forgive me. 

Keep up the great work. 

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

Hi all again,  regarding the stern fillers  I've done a Dirk(Dubz) and resorted to a bit of deconstruction. The remade fillers look better and the stern timbers for the cabin and counter fit way better than before 😅

I have partially sanded one side and still have one to stand.

Mark you are correct in the fact that they were short but I think I've got it sorted now, thanks for your advice.👍

LS I don't think I would have got a  plank to fit on the original fillers but I shall test the remade blocks, thankyou for your input my friend 😉

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words Mark and LS.

20191103_220058.jpg

20191103_224102.jpg

20191103_215640.jpg

20191103_200911.jpg

20191103_215645.jpg

20191103_220044.jpg

20191103_220035.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed: