HMS Triton by Edwardkenway - 1:64 scale

Hi again,  bit of a set back on the planking, I took off the planks at the bow as I had not put a drop plank below the wale and could not get the second belt of planking to run correctly. Hopefully now it will and I can make progress again. 

Also I need to sort out how the planking terminates at the stern because at the moment I don't think it is working out, so I may be removing a few planks and re-fitting them when I've figured out what to do.

Thanks for your interest and likes👍

Cheers 😃

20200115_221510.jpg

20200115_221944.jpg

20200115_221653.jpg

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Just catching up with a few months away from following build logs, so sorry if I'm butting in a bit too late. I've been considering whether to build a Triton full build, so it's been interesting to follow your own progress. With regard to your comments about the difficulties with your planking, it may be an artefact of the way the photos are taken, but I can't see the pencil markings for your plank widths on the last two bulkheads. The width of the planks at the stern seem to be wider than the marks on the third last bulkhead would suggest. Might that be a source of difficulty?

Tony

Tony it's nice to see you back.🙂

Regards the planking problem it was the bow I had the trouble,  I had not noticed the stern,  but now you've pointed it out to me I can see that also, thankyou. 👍 I will take some planking off at the stern as well, which will help me out as I was going to alter the way the planks terminate at the stern .

I'm glad you saw it and pointed it out as I had no idea and would have carried on regardless, :default_wallbash:

This is why I have not started Winchelsea yet as my planking needs a bit more fine tuning. Hopefully the next session post will show the improved version. 

Cheers 👍😁

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

I don't know if you've read the various planking tutorials on this site, but just in case you haven't they're really worth studying.

If you go to the forum for "Building, Framing, Planking and plating a ships hull and deck" this points you to the planking tutorials. Chuck's tutorials are particularly good on spiling and bending with heat alone (i.e. without soaking the wood or using steam).

Tony

I forgot to say I still struggle with the planking myself, but, as you suggest, every time I do it I get a bit better! At least I think I know how it should be done!

Tony

7 hours ago, tkay11 said:

Chuck's tutorials are particularly good on spiling and bending with heat alone (i.e. without soaking the wood or using steam).

Hi Tony,  I've watched Chuck's videos on planking using the iron for edge bending,  and had a go myself on Triton,  I think is possibly the best method of planking round the bow.

Thanks for your advice, it is always welcome and helpful 😁

5 hours ago, tkay11 said:

I forgot to say I still struggle with the planking myself, but, as you suggest, every time I do it I get a bit better! At least I think I know how it should be done!

Tony

Yes I feel the same, hopefully by the time I start Winchelsea I can attempt a decent job of it.

Cheers 👍🙂

Current builds;

Completed:

Hello,  I've not been able to work on Triton as we've been looking after the grandkids til my daughter gets home, so workroom has been out of bounds, but managed a couple of hours today and removed some planking and replaced said planking with alterations. I have to admit that I have struggled with this planking, I think it is because I didn't spend enough time fairing the bulkheads. I'm thinking I may copper this side of the hull and paint what is not covered and put a bit more effort and preparation into the other side.

There are no photos as yet but I will post some next time. 

I have to get better at planking before I start Winchelsea 🤨

Cheers and thanks for likes, comments and stopping by 👍🙂

Current builds;

Completed:

So regards the starboard side planking, it is done, but it's not the best,  in fact if I  wasn't going to copper it(I would like to get a bit of practice for when I finally get Chris's Speedy)I would rip it off and start again, all the problems I've had come down to my lack of preparation 😫 I was far to eager to start planking and now it's bit me.

LESSON LEARNED :default_wallbash:

The port side as you can see needed a bit of shimming on the forward 3 or 4 bulkheads (poor initial cutting) but after more than a few hours work I think its probably good to go. 

So I've used thread to line the planking belts and next I will mark planks out and fingers crossed I'll get this alot more accurate and acceptable. 

I think that starting Winchelsea is still quite a long way off.!!

Thanks for looking in.🙂

Cheers 👍

20200201_111333.jpg

20200201_111455.jpg

20200201_110457.jpg

20200201_110520.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Thank you, for you encouraging words.🙂

Hopefully when I've finished the port side there will be a noticeable difference, but that remains to be seen!!

Cheers 👍

Current builds;

Completed:

4 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

if I  wasn't going to copper it

I did the same thing with my Syren.  The coppering allows us to practice planking, with all our errors being forgiven by the coppering!

Alan

I think all of us have done that... the first side is "lesson learned" and also ends up as the "wall side" when displayed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you gentlemen,  your words are encouraging.

I'm going to try and get in the shipyard and run a couple strakes this weekend. 

Thanks for looking in. 

Cheers 👍😃

Current builds;

Completed:

Hello everyone, I managed to get the first belt of planking done over the weekend and did the last of the six strakes today. Next time I shall fit the garboard strake and work the next belt from the keel.

Thanks for the likes and dropping by.

Cheers 👍😁

20200211_173227.jpg

20200211_173153.jpg

20200211_173221.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Thank you LS, I have found it very testing but also satisfying when I do get it right.^_^

If you want a good scratch project may I  suggest  Chuck's HMS Winchelsea group build as there is Chuck's own magnificent build log and you can download the monograph chapters. Just have to buy access to the plans $15 about £13 and get them printed, most can be done at your local library, but the largest need a professional printer as they are A0 size, cost about £15.

Cheers 👍😁

Current builds;

Completed:

From where I’m sitting it looks like you are doing a great job! If my current build goes well I may heavily consider doing the Winchelsea, but I’ll probably do it less scratch and more kit-like. I’m really impressed by your scratch work; someday I’ll have to give it a try (when I have acquired the right tools).

Edited by VTHokiEE

1 minute ago, VTHokiEE said:

From where I’m sitting it looks like you are doing a great job! 

Thank you, your kind words are much appreciated!!

Current builds;

Completed:

9 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

If my current build goes well I may heavily consider doing the Winchelsea, but I’ll probably do it less scratch and more kit-like. I’m really impressed by your scratch work; someday I’ll have to give it a try (when I have acquired the right tools).

Edited 9 hours ago by VTHokiEE

Winchelsea would be an excellent choice as you have all the laser cut parts from Chuck if you need them.

As to tools I'm still just using a coping saw and craft knife,  not got round to buying a scroll saw yet. Did have one on order but cancelled it and got refund after waiting 6 weeks and still not delivered. 😡. I will get one before I move on to Winchelsea 

Cheers. 

Current builds;

Completed:

3 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Winchelsea would be an excellent choice as you have all the laser cut parts from Chuck if you need them.

This is exactly the route I'm currently planning on taking; I might have to pick up a byrnes table saw to rip planks if I want to do it in AYC (which given how nice Chuck's build looks is very tempting)

3 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

As to tools I'm still just using a coping saw and craft knife,  not got round to buying a scroll saw yet.

The scroll saw would be my other tool of choice if I wanted to somewhat limit the laser cut parts. Of course I have to consider if I actually have room for both tools (and the time/skill to cut out the bulkheads accurately).

The Proxxon DSH scroll saws come up regularly on eBay for about £100. I bought a refurbished one from Axminster for that price on eBay and it works fine. The only thing is that you really do have to finish off with a sander, or careful sanding, and I now tend to use a coping saw much more now that I have built my own jeweller's bench pin. The problem I have with the coping saw is that I still find it difficult to make perfectly vertical cuts all the way round. But I suppose that's something that comes with experience.

Tony

Tony even after all the frames for the cross section and bulkheads for this build I still wander off the vertical, but as I don't cut to the line it usually is simple to get over.

I have been looking on Ebay and gumtree for a scroll saw because if I get one cheap enough I can also get something else such a table saw or sander.

Cheers 🙂

Current builds;

Completed:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again, as mentioned above, I was looking for a cheap scroll saw,  well I got one on Ebay,  only £50, so to try it out I busied myself cutting out the bulkheads for Winchelsea, but every time I looked in the workroom there was Triton waiting patiently for me to do more work on her.

So back to planking and starting at the keel I fitted the garboard and began working away from the keel.  Limiting my self to 3 strakes at a time is a must otherwise I would lose myself in modelling as time flies when working on these projects. Hopefully I'm getting better with Chuck's edge bending method and I'm also getting a little less messy with CA glue,  although I'm still sticking my fingers to planks inadvertently :wacko:

Anyway thanks for dropping by and the likes til next time. 

Cheers 👍😉

20200310_182149.jpg

20200310_182145.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

• 1 month later...

Hi, I went to my local library and basically printed them off at 75% of the 1:48 templates apart from the deck, profile and centre board which I had printed at John E Wright in Derby, again at 75%.

I chose this scale as I plan to fully rig Triton. 

I hope this helps. I'll look forward to seeing your Triton builds. I will add I thoroughly enjoyed the cross section but if I did another it would be 1:48.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers

Current builds;

Completed:

So as a break from cutting wheels out for my card Sherman I've come back to the shipyard and done a few strakes on Triton 

I only have three and a half more to do and then its sanding and mark the waterline.20200425_115610.thumb.jpg.1775641e2c5e189c4c7729274dd6a880.jpg

Looking like a busy productive shipyard 😏 note my adjustable height table (admiral's ironing board 😆) I don't know why I never thought to use it before!

Thanks for dropping in and hitting the like button 👍

Cheers 

20200425_115622.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Hello again, thanks for the likes, I have officially ran out of wood now and without funds as I'm not at work and waiting for the rescue package, work on Triton and Winchelsea is on hold till I am able to purchase some more timber.

But planking on the hull is finished and looking at it I'm thinking I will copper or paint it as it is not too clever. I may copper one side and paint the other,  we'll see! Lots of sanding to do before that though. 

Til next time

Cheers 

20200428_171655.jpg

Current builds;

Completed: