HMS Unicorn by harlequin - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

12 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Take a look at my Unicorn/Lyme log linked in my signature.  I agree with Bill that the Corel kit is of the Lyme class in Chapman’s Architectura.  My log goes into the many inaccuracies of the kit.  Still builds into a nice model though as some of the logs on here show.

Very well said Mike,   very similar  class to the Corel Greyhound  kit - quite a few of us  tried to bring that kit to life.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice restart!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Nice work harlequin! My Unicorn, a 1980's kit is sitting in a container maybe never to finish as the materials then were quite second rate by some standards. Maybe, just maybe you can inspire a restart for me with your good works.

Joe

Edited by Thistle17

15 hours ago, Thistle17 said:

Nice work harlequin! My Unicord, a 1980's kit is sitting in a container maybe never to finish as the materials then were quite second rate by some standards. Maybe, just maybe you can inspire a restart for me with your good works.

Joe

This one of mine is ancient and to be fair it seems to be going ok....go on give it a go.....you know you want to...

this is roughly what the transom will look like when installed. I will probably paint the background black....The outer decoration is a cast metal which i have heated to soften then bent to shape....overall it doesnt look too bad......the new unicorns have a precast transom which makes this stage easier....im happy enough with the result. 

IMG_1700.JPG

Great work mate  - takes me back to my  Greyhound/Lyme  build.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 hours ago, harlequin said:

those were the days....i have just dusted Greyhound and looks in fine shape.

Indeed mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

18 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

Good heavens - just seen your log - THAT takes me back.  I built Unicorn it must have been at least the early 90s if not earlier.

The black wood supplied was discoloured and they supplied a ridiculously over large amount of replacement - I still have about 20 strips left.  I think it is actually dyed but it is a nice true black throughout so can be sanded without discolouring.

I have used on severa builds where a bit of a contrast without paint is needed

I was very pleased with the end result .  My figure head  was total rubbish compared to yours !

the kit is ancient SpyGlass....i bought it for 15 quid so no pressure to complete.....they call this black strip fibreboard....some of the second planking is very brittle, but I am going to continue with it and see what happens......it is going ok I think.....corel kits have a lot of detractors but i actually dont mind them at all...

Unicorn doesnt have a stern post so I took a gamble and shortened the length of the hull to accommodate a stern post. Overall it has ended up a strange shape but with the addition of the rudder I can live with this peculiarity....the colour is different, but I can do something about that later...  the hinges have yet to be fitted.

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

Edited by harlequin

Transom being prepared for fixing.....second planking will probably be finished in the next couple of days....then a good sanding to smooth out the whole hull.....the transom will be fixed and allowed to dry thoroughly before the windows and decorations are fixed....a dry fitting seems to suggest all will be ok. 

IMG_1722.JPG

Edited by harlequin

On 10/11/2021 at 12:42 PM, Bill Morrison said:

Mike,

I cannot find your build log.  Can you help?

Thanks!

Bill

Hi Bill, sorry I missed this one.  Here is a link to my log from a few years ago:

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)