HMS Unicorn by harlequin - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

That is a cool device - at first I thought it was a drill balanced on a set of miniature parallel bars. In any case your Unicorn is shaping up nicely!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

1 hour ago, hamilton said:

That is a cool device - at first I thought it was a drill balanced on a set of miniature parallel bars. In any case your Unicorn is shaping up nicely!

hamilton

minicraft did a series of small power tools including a router/lathe....they are now discontinued but you can still get them on ebay....i bought a couple of stainless steel bars which were a lot longer than the original so they take the longest yards......they were great bits of kit including drills, saws, table saw and sanders...worth a look on ebay for the tools and power packs.

• 2 weeks later...

She's really coming along Harlequin! Great work

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Just looked into this build for the first time. You have done a great job so far. I had this kit many moons ago but sold it on due to its accuracy. Starting to think i get too hung up on the final result being as historically accurate as possible and so taking the fun out of the build. After all my favourite build was Corel's Resolution which i did just build from the box only modifying the rigging.

The Unicorn is an interesting ship with its beakhead bow and two light quarter galleries, features that are accurate to the original. Sometimes wish i had kept hold of her. I myself had found an old second hand kit quite cheaply (not £15.00 though).

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2022 at 7:01 AM, Thunder said:

Hi,

Just looked into this build for the first time. You have done a great job so far. I had this kit many moons ago but sold it on due to its accuracy. Starting to think i get too hung up on the final result being as historically accurate as possible and so taking the fun out of the build. After all my favourite build was Corel's Resolution which i did just build from the box only modifying the rigging.

The Unicorn is an interesting ship with its beakhead bow and two light quarter galleries, features that are accurate to the original. Sometimes wish i had kept hold of her. I myself had found an old second hand kit quite cheaply (not £15.00 though).

give it another go Thunder.......not touched it since christmas but starting on rigging again this week...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2022 at 11:45 AM, SpyGlass said:

Seeing the prototype of this kit in the Olympia Model Exhibition many many many years ago inspired me to restart the hobby.  I was quite pleased with my finished product - albiet as usual with me it took ages and I had to order some parts I lost in the process.

Still have a weeny stock of the black strip - which I was thinking of using on Speedy and for some reason parts for six spare guns  !!! 

Your build is looking great !

cheers SpyGlass....i am in training for a 50 mile fell race in 6 weeks so not worked on Uni for a while.

• 1 month later...

big 50 mile fell race coming up this weekend in the beautiful English Lake District.......starts at 11:30 saturday morning and finishes sunday morning early hours....after that then Unicorn can finally get some attention....not going to be easy but I have several friends who are running with me and my daughter too. I am the lucky one really as the 100 mile race is happening at the same time. As i am pale and ginger we need dull cool weather. Plenty of factor 50 will be applied to every exposed area of pallid skin....One good thing is the bar remains open and pints of Old Peculier will be available at the finish line as well as the cuban cigar i will light just before the finish line....

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 2:28 AM, harlequin said:

big 50 mile fell race coming up this weekend in the beautiful English Lake District.

Are you running the Dragon's Back in Wales next month?  Our youngest son and our daughter in law (both 47 years old) are running it this year.  200 miles of agony in my opinion.    I like your idea of a cigar and pints much better.   Give me any good pint and an H. Upmann and the heck with running.   Cars (or even horses and mules) were invented for a reason you know.😀

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU