Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

aye Augie.......I hear ye!.......they tried to put the Pop {sycle} in Popeye!  buts me landlord caim through.....jes' in the nick'o time!  :)

alls much better now!  ;)  we got crap coming in tomorrow!  should have an update soon....thank you.......my good man! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Mobbsie.......yes.....we have that saying over 'ere,  but I don't think a cold blooded primate,  would have much of a problem with that  :)   it's us warm blooded sapiens,  that seem to scream the loudest :D  :D  :D  :D  

{sorry.......been caught watching Monty Python on you tube} :blush:

we'll still need it for a while yet........I could stand for a few more days like today ;)    thanks for the nice comment......a bit more,  and then it's off on some other tangent :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Very nice, I think the nests look great from above and below...just be careful when you climb up on that chair to take those pics!!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hi Popeye, sure nice looking crows nests and I'm sure you'll figure out a way to make them look like weathered wood, stain, dye or paint????  And your mizzen seems to have a nice angel too.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Robbyn.......actually,  I just held the camera up there and took those.........couldn't see what I was snapp'in :)   see......there is a place for these little  'point and shoots'........only took one take ;)  thanks for the good word!

thanks Piet!   my first time making crow's nests.......not sure how I'm going to do them.  I do know that there might be quite a few glue blotches if I stain......if that happens,  I may need to go with a similar color brown....or even black.   if that happens,  I will do the rest of the masting to blend it in.   the mizzen though,  I do have a problem.......there is a bit too much rake and it interferes with the canopy.  once adjusted,  it will cure the problem.   there will be rake.......but not as much ;)   thanks for the good word!

well folks........I'm back at the table!   it's great to get up in the morning and feel a normal temp in the apartment!  this thing runs as well,  as a clock can tick!   we never got the snow that they were forecasting.......in fact,  quite the opposite!  it's 35 degrees  and the melt continues......but I won't hold my breath.  we will get one of those storms,  we always do........but it won't stay long.    the season is changing my friends..........and I for one,  is ready for it!  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye...

you do a GREAT job on this boat... the progress is very good .... but your Half Moon looks so much different to mine... but both have a very own and individual charisma... thats so nice with this hobby ... doing the same is never the same ;)

Best wishes

Cheerio

Max

:10_1_10:

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

thanks Max.......this is an interesting observation.   I know of another fellow who is building the corel kit,  along with Anja and yourself.  he made the same observation.   I'm sure a lot of it has to do with copyright,  but I also think it has to do with the amount of R&D they do concerning the kits they make.  just between these two kits alone,  there are differences with the crow's nests,  the cap rails,  as well as the assembly of the bow and decorations.   heck.......with the Billing's kit,  I've found differences with the kit itself,  and the actual ship.  the most prominent feature......is the stern.  

post-612-0-17891700-1394721611.jpeg

post-612-0-31443000-1394721622_thumb.jpg

I'm sure that the Billing's drawing is of the 1565 - 1611 ship.......the picture is of the more modern rebuild, used as a floating museum.  Anja was very kind and showed me the corel plans......I see some very nice pros with the corel kit.

I've come to the conclusion that most kits are generic in nature..........why do I continue to build kits?......

.........because they are the perfect 'backbone' to build the actual ship.   many people do research on the ship they are modeling,  because they know that there are inaccuracies in the kit.   it's a corel kit,  but you are the one building it.........and I must say......you have done one spectacular job with that kit!

you have put your best effort into her.....I'm very much looking forward in seeing future projects from you :)    so in my view........the day you bring the box into your house,  it stops being a corel kit......it becomes YOUR kit......YOUR build.....and you build 'er as you see fit ;)

thanks for the good word :)    I really appreciate your kind comment!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm kinda wondering,  if this is also to denote port and starboard......something I've never seen before.

anyway......................................I mentioned the whittling I was doing on the masts.  I needed to get the top capping down to the size that will fit into the nests.  so, I cut into the mast with my miter box and saw,  and cut away the excess....later sanded smooth.

attachicon.gif#1.JPG

now,  I had mentioned perhaps making a new main mast nest,  but I chose to repair the original one,  only because it has the pre drilled holes.

attachicon.gif#2.JPG

later, I chose to rip off all of the upper railing and start over,  adjusting the post in the area I started from,  and the redo.   I assembled the framework that the nests will be located on.

attachicon.gif#3.JPG

the fore mast nest was assembled to the mast......since that one turned out OK.

attachicon.gif#4.JPG

attachicon.gif#5.JPG

after the railing was finished on the main mast nest.....there was still an area on it that wasn't right.  I am making the change yet again.

attachicon.gif#6.JPG

while I was working on that,  I continued on other aspects,  between drying times.   the capstan is an assembly,  consisting of a  bunch of little pieces....most of them are missing.   so I opted to use the parts that the nests would have been made up with.   after making up a scratch base ring for the supplied capstan post,  the railing parts were cemented around the base.

attachicon.gif#7.JPG

then,  the bow spirit was assembled.  it is not trimmed to size yet.

attachicon.gif#8.JPG

I had some smaller dowel to use,  instead of the supplied dowel for the capstan bars.   I added some brass banding to spruce it up a bit more.

attachicon.gif#9.JPG

I did the same for the pump,  and stained other parts that can be readily assembled onto the ship.  I'll lightly stain them with the mahogany stain to match them up with the rest of the ship.

attachicon.gif#10.JPG

Popeye,

nice work at the crows nest, the capstan and pump, Looks very goog

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

oh......it was so nice to work only in my smock again {actually it's a button - down shirt,  but I have a habit of wiping my hands,  and the mouth of the paint bottles on it}.   I'm not a sloppy person.......I just look 'lived in' :D :D :D !

I made some good progress......the mast steps have been assembled.   they still need to be sanded and cleaned up.......stained and {or} painted.   I also took care of the Mizzen mast......it's not perfect,  but if I went any further,  the darn thing would be perpendicular to the deck.......and that just would NOT do  ^_^

I started to assemble the fore mast......I have already whittled down the top part of the second section for the cross tree and cap for the final section.

post-612-0-46521000-1394725220_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-12392100-1394725236_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-97531000-1394725247_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-51374700-1394725259_thumb.jpg

how I whittled the top part down,  was to score around the dowel with miter box and saw,  and then shave it using an x-actor knife.

post-612-0-63535000-1394725444_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-45935800-1394725455_thumb.jpg

I took those photos,  while I was assembling the main mast.

post-612-0-38466200-1394725539_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-60830900-1394725554_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you Nils.........making them was fun.  they're not perfect......I may do a little side project and experiment a little with this......I'm sure the methods I used could be improved ;)    but not right now though.........I think it might get me into more trouble :D :D :D

quite a compliment coming from an experienced modeler like yourself....thank you :)   I'm still humbled from Doris's kind comments

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

with the fore and main masts somewhat completed,  I looked at getting the mizzen mast squared away.

once the correct dowel was chosen for it,  the adjustment of the rake,  was the next step.   using the bottom hole as the pivot,  sanding at the front of the upper deck hole took place.   there is a mast collar for the main and upper deck holes.....they were stained at this time.

post-612-0-90679100-1394727078_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-41574200-1394727102_thumb.jpg

I noticed that the main deck collar was a little lighter than the upper one.......I just ran a Q-tip with some mahogany stain over it,  to darken it up.   after the collars were cemented in place,  a little more sanding needed to take place,  for the mast to fit through.

post-612-0-10664500-1394727295_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-38797800-1394727316_thumb.jpg

a little more sanding was done......still needed a bit more.   I got it to about 1mm,  and will leave it as is.....as mentioned,  if I go any more,  it will be out of alignment with the main mast.

post-612-0-54691100-1394727817_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-26516900-1394727830.jpeg

post-612-0-58523900-1394727879_thumb.jpg

to sand out the mast hole,  sand paper was cemented to smaller diameter dowels

post-612-0-04815900-1394727936_thumb.jpg

the rest of the mast was assembled......the cross tree and upper section of the masting.

post-612-0-67442400-1394728057_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-66927700-1394728069_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

with the exception of the bow spirit......the masts were dry fitted on the ship.   they stood up proud,  without too much prodding.......so I was able to get these pictures.   why waste the moment!

post-612-0-26198700-1394728250_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-70573700-1394728262_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-73962800-1394728279_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

It's looking like you have that rake on the mizzen in the ballpark.  Poof ------ a SHIP!

Good work!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Your comment about a kit becoming the builders kit and not the manufactures’ was right on.

Oh ya, besides that, you done good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Good job on setting the masts, sometimes it's hard to set the right rake, but you hit right on... I like your round sanding sticks, I'll have to remember to make some :)

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks Augie......the fore mast has to lean forward a little more than it is,  but the main and the mizzen have just about the same rake,  which is good  :)   the canopy is still off a little......about 1mm........pretty good considering it was off 3 to 4mm's to begin with.  I can probably do something to fudge the excess.  thanks for the good word  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Bob........when kits start coming with 'text book assembly instructions' ........then we can build 'em like the pros.  of course,  it may take a few years to get all the tools they used to build it........to be honest,  I can't wait that long ;)    I guess I'll just have to depend on all the great R&D developers,  here on the site..........wha'd ya say to that! :D :D :D

thanks for the good word Bob.........I yam,  wot I yam! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Frank.......the masts are just fitted in place......I want to finish them before I cement them in.   they are off a little......the fore mast more than the other two.   the mizzen is set in place already......no adjustment needed.....the fore mast needs to be brought forward a tiny bit.....and the fore mast needs to have negative rake {lean forward a few degrees}.  one problem I always tell myself to do..... apparently I didn't listen on this build,  is to create mast pots under the deck platform.  since this is a POB kit,  there are on inner placements for the masts.  the main mast is the only mast that the mast root goes all the way to the keel.....it's free floating inside.  the mizzen sits tight in the two collars.......the lower collar is as far as it goes,  with hardly any at all past the deck.   the fore mast at the moment,  is sitting on a ledge inside the hull.......where?.....I don't know :huh:    when I do cement the mast in place,  the root is going to have nothing to sit on in there,  the collar is going to be the only anchor point.   when I do the standing rigging,  I will have to be careful not to distort anything.  so, for now,  it will be to clean the masts up and stain them {got my fingers crossed with the crow's nests}.....and then the eye bolts and blocks.  I'll need to create jigs for the fore and main masts.........but I have a few more things to do before I get to that point.  :)

I hope to finish what I'm doing to this build very soon..........then I can begin some more work on the build I've been teasing everyone with {in the background}.   thanks for the good word!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I love what Augie is saying and he is so RIGHT.......Poof a Ship  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Great job Popeye !

Soon at the rigging.....

Tying ratlines, making shrouds, lanyards.....the fun stuff ......

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

thanks Sjors.......still more to go yet,  before I get to that point :)  thanks for the good word

thanks Sherry.......the nests were the big scratch build part of it......that is......unless I think of anything else to do ;)   thanks for looking in and you kind comment  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow, she coming to life Popeye, those masts make such a difference.

Could you place a pin into the bottom of your mast to stop it from moving around when in position if you don't have a shoe for it. Just a thought.

Your doing a great job mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I could do that Mobbsie.......I did the same thing with a couple of builds......but only with the main mast however.  this will still leave the fore mast,  as my Achilles heel.  it will work out........once I get the standing rigging in place.   thanks for reminding me of a process that even I used to do....I must have been off on a fool's errand that day :D  :D  :D   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

today.......I did a little here.......and I did a little there.   I got this real crazy idea.......what a time for laser cutting,  not to be on my side,  with this kit.   I'm sure a lot of you folks experienced this from time to time......open your kit,  and pop out a few of the parts,  only to find that the plywood lamination had separated.   some would complain......some would simply glue it back together.  I usually choose the latter route......but I lament......I now wished it had happened to the rudder.  my idea depended on this to happen.....and it didn't!  I must make it so!  water.........water separates everything!  it separates pebbles from silt.......it separated my son and his girlfriend, when they were kissing {that was fun}.......it even separates with the wave of a hand {I didn't see this......it was in a book I was reading}.  so, I soaked it in hot water.

post-612-0-53694000-1394763863_thumb.jpg

after an hour or so,  I laid it on my table,  and waited for the outer laminates to curl.  it didn't.....wasn't wasted time though.....I got my computer stuff done.  OK then......the next logical option is heat.  I got the admiral's Iron,  I set off on plan B.  the admiral saw me with it,  and the quiz show started.  I promised her that I would buy her a new one.  I told her "don't try this at home!"........she came back with  "I don't have to.....I have you!" {she's been with me too long.......she's a heck of a straight man}.  after pressing it with the Iron for a few minutes,  I was able to remove both sides with a razor blade.

post-612-0-50901300-1394765139_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-00667800-1394765152_thumb.jpg

taking it over to the table,  I sanded the residue off of both sides.

post-612-0-60229700-1394765200_thumb.jpg

now.......I've taken what would probably equate to about 1.5 to 1.8 mm from the thickness of the rudder, which is 4 mm to begin with.  I think that by planking it over with thin strip stock,  it will have a much better finish,  than the bland surface of plywood.  I'll continue with it tomorrow ;)

I also made a trip over to the local Hobby Lobby.  my focus was on two items......stars and diamonds. 

my search was slow.......until I got into the paper craft dept.   here I found these brads....probably used to clip multiple papers together....not sure,  I don't do the craft.

post-612-0-79266600-1394766498_thumb.jpg

with the supplied decorative parts for the ship......there is the moon,  but no stars.  it's clear to see that there are at least five or six stars,  along side the moon.  these come in many colors and finishes.........

gold,  silver,  copper,  antique,  as well as red,  white,  and blue.

post-612-0-43736900-1394766711_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-21755200-1394766736_thumb.jpg

I need the white ones......no need to paint!   I did find some even smaller ones in the dept that deals with embossing hats,   belts,  and other articles of clothing.  they are even smaller than these that I have here.   they go by the product name  "Bedazzles.....Bedazzleit"....something like that.....card package with a bubble box with the product inside.....really colorful package.   they cost $5.99.  I would have bought both items,  but the other part of my search,  was proving to be a bust,  so I had to turn to a more expensive alternative.   the diamonds were proving to be harder to find.........I was looking for the playing card shaped diamond...not the glittering bobble that melts a young girl's heart.  these diamonds adorn the sides of the stern's artwork.  the thing that stuck in my head though was that while the stars would have been an addition to the transom {and probably carved},  the diamonds would have been painted on,  and would then produce no rise in the artwork itself.  I bought a package of decal paper.  all I need to do is go on line and find an image of a diamond.  then copy it and import it into the decal maker.   there I can replicate a string of them and size it down to fit in the space.  it will have a light color background,  so this should work out quite nicely.

one other item I got,  was the wood for the stern rail details.  I have painted up the .5 x 3 mm thin strips red and white,  and I got some 1/16 x 1/8 x 24 strip stock to do the job.  these will be stained,  cemented in place,  and the striped strips will be laid over the face of the rails.

post-612-0-97013300-1394768610_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-88912800-1394768625_thumb.jpg

this is what is to come........when this is done,  the bow will be next,  and then the entire ship can get a flat clear coat,  to liven up the finish.   I'm going back in my rabbit hole now.....call me for tea,  won't you :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

They must have a ball at Hobby Lobby and JoAnne's watching grown men walking around aimlessly and picking up things like Bedazzles, Artist's tape and eying the dollhouse furniture.  Those places have saved me more then once.  I found these great toothpicks...you would swear they made them individually on a lathe.... cut off the points and you've got perfect stanchions.  You never know.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

even funnier when you ask about something and tell them what it's for :D :D :D   my best area is the jewelry dept......some of that stuff is just crying to get embossed on the transom of a ship.....or even a figurehead!   Christmas stuff is still available......not as abundant,  but I did see a few things that would be a nice touch ;)  I've heard of JoAnne's,   but I don't think there are any around here......we have Micheal's and a place in the Mall of New Hampshire {the name slips my mind}.  only sad thing is....Hobby Lobby don't sell wooden kits,  I have to go to Hobbytown for them.  cocktail party toothpicks......I've seen them.....had that thought myself  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I usually just wait until my wife or kids needs to run in one of those places and I'll scurry around quickly to pick up what I need. I also must say, I had little appreciation for how tall your Half Moon is going to be when finished. She's quite a ship.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

They don't call them 'tall ships' for nothing!  And your Niagara is no slacker in that department, Patrick.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

thanks Augie and Patrick.........you never know the true size of the build,  until the masts are on......or in this case,  dry fit.  I was lucky with this kit......it gave me the measurements and a 1:1 diagram of the assemblies.   now to see how they will take stain  ;)

so true Augie.......Patrick,  your Niagara rocks!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Gasp!  That is a lot of ship Popeye!  The masts have transformed it and it really does look just fantastic :)

And thank you for the tutorial/pics on how to sand inside a hole.  It is so simple but ingenious!

I do wonder what type of brand new iron you bought your Admiral though ...  :P

Edited by Bindy