Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

Wow.. very well done Popeye.  I like the way you're making the rails too. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark :)   the inclines aren't done to any instruction....just done by eye,  so I have to scratch make all three sets.  I've tried to bend strips like this before.......after many failed attempts,  well I don't think I need to tell anyone here how hard it is.   they start out bulky,  but they come out good in the end.  I'm not too concerned with glue blotch,  since they will have that stripe overlay,  hiding it. thanks for the good word!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

just caught up with your build Popeye , she is looking great :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

thank you Adrieke!  so good to have you looking in :)   .......a little bash........a little scratch......but aren't they all though ;)  the hope is to keep as close to the photos of the actual ship {the ones I have anyway},  as I can.  it's been fun so far  :)   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

You are going into a higher gear Popeye ????

Nice paint job.

Where do you get those colours from ?

I have seen that green but not that blue on the stern.

Or is that your own idea ????

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

I'm following the pictures I have of her......the rebuild.

post-612-0-89846700-1395582615_thumb.jpg

now I need to make the diamond decals.......and perhaps the circle inlays {  I'm not too optimistic about them though}.   should look pretty cool when it's complete {the process,  that is}  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Decals? We all thought you were going the inlaid wood route. LOL  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

wasn't feeling well yesterday,  so I took the day off.   was going to do a little,  but ended up sleeping in my recliner {pffffff}  then there was the walking dead that I wanted to watch ;)

sorry Patrick..........a carver,  I am not  :)

there is a lot of mixed info on this ship Sjors.......I'm just going by what I see :D :D    for instance,  is it me,  or do these masts look a bit stunted?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow, Popeye, she's looking absolutely brilliant. Haven't looked in for a while although I have been getting your notifications.

The bow sections have come together very well and you should be well chuffed, the mast look fine to me and not at all stunted, with regard to your crows nests they have a weathered look about them but if your not happy with them you could always paint them black, just a suggestion.

The color scheme looks great, that green looks like a sage green and as you say is a very close match with the real ship.

Altogether your onto a winner here mate, be proud of her mate she's coming on nicely.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Popeye,

was a long time not here... had a lot of fun with my HM but also a lot of serious work to do .... your HM comes out really good. I like the galion and the mars... I am sure your HM will be very close to the wellknown rebuild in the US

Good luck all the time

Cheerio

Max

:10_1_10:

BTW - what would you recommend to save the models from dust? I think about a acryl hood... but will be about 110 euros... Second: Still haveto build a stand before I can take some pics for a gallery...

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

A nice bit of improvements have occurred since last I stuck my head in the door. Great creativity as always.

That picture you just showed of the replica? it doesn't have top masts?

I cant wait to see the painted sides change as you add the striped rails and diamonds, and so forth, This point of the build they seem to change appearance so fast.

That's a nice photo to follow.  It also shows good detail of the rigging.  Lots of fun there.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I don't know what's up with this picture......I have others that show full masting.   I'm only using it for the color scheme anyway,  so it's all good  ;)

thanks Mobbsie.......you too kind  :)   I'm pleased with the way the nests came out.....it's just the blotches that don't enthuse me.   funny, I like the way they look in the picture.  I'll just touch them up a little....they'll look fine.   the green is actually a military flat....a couple of shades brighter than an olive drab  thanks for the good word......pop in any time  :)

thanks Max........just goes to show the differences in these two kits.   add in a bit of bash......even color,  and the differences become even greater ;)   you could go with a simple dome....or you could spend the extra and get the full case.  either way.......get that beauty of yours covered!   not one speck of dust should fall on that wonderful work you've done.  I hope to see you with another build soon.....there are so many cool techniques waiting for you to discover!

thanks Keith........yea.....that's a weird picture of her.  I have others though that show the full masting.  pop in any time.......hopefully,  I can get this all together.   I agree.....I think it's going to look nice,  if it goes the way I want it to.

the picture doesn't show the upper mast rigging Bob.........Anja was kind enough to send me a couple of pictures.   there are some lines that the Billing diagram doesn't show........it will be a hoot when I get there.......thanks for the good word.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I began to do a little work with the decal maker.  in my search to find the perfect diamond image,  I found it odd that I was more successful looking through images of mineral diamonds,  than playing card images.

I did see some really cool tats though........if I was doing a car model,  I could see an avenue for some cool decals!  I settled on two of them......one of them has a black border around it,  so I'll save it for another time.   I have another one that is a pair.   it was imported into the decal program and sized down..

....I need to go a bit more,  but I'll wait until I have the string created and do it in one shot.   I'll need to change the color as well......I went ahead of myself and created the string before I did it......I had to do it to each pair, instead of it as a whole.  

post-612-0-54224900-1395797652_thumb.jpg

this is done by copy and paste

post-612-0-76537600-1395797662_thumb.jpg

what I need to do now,  is print this out once it's finished,  and then scan it back into the computer  it will then be reintroduced into the decal maker again,  where I can copy the image as many times as I want,  as well as resize it down a bit more.  I have already checked it with the test copy I printed.   the other thing I'm concerned about is the transparency issue.   I've done a search.......seems I'm not the only one who has noticed it.  there is a transparency tab on the program page,  but it has been deactivated.  I contacted the company today......and got a pretty prompt reply.  there is an updated program for it,  but it will cost me another $15.00 to get it.....only being offered as a download.  I need to get inkjets for my printer as well,  mine are almost dead.   I'll have to see what develops here ;)

on the rail front.......I have all three pairs done and stained.......all I need to do now,  is give them the reddish tone.  I have also done some bending to another pair of strips.  these will be used to do the bottom line,  the base line for the incline rails.

post-612-0-37149300-1395798821_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-36035800-1395798833_thumb.jpg

I'll see if I can get some of it done now........the bow area is easy.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Popeye,

Nice work on the paint and your rails, do yoiu plan to decal the circle patterns as well?

J

Popeye, I'm looking forward to seeing how the decals look in place. Do you use SolvaSet when you're putting them on?

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

thanks J........I'm going to try and do the circles......I'll probably need to do it in the same process.

thanks Patrick.......I use decal set,  the Testor's equivalent.....oh,  yea,  a must have  :)   although,  with as flat a surface that I'll be working with,  I might not need it.

thanks Lawrence.......if it was inlay,  I probably would...but the diamond and circle patterns are painted on.  there is no rise or indention in the area that they go on.   now the stars on the transom is a different story........they have a rise,  so it is thought that they were carved and nailed in place.   when the sides are done,  I can do the transom.

having a plastic model background for most of my life.......decals have been the perfect solution concerning the detail required.   I have been using it in my wood builds......and so far,  it has been quite successful.   I'm hoping that this build will turn out like I think it will.

I'm pleased with how it look right now......update soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Interesting process. I’ve been thinking of decals also. I’ll wait to see how yours turn out.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

That decal program looks real interesting, nice work Popeye

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks Bob and Frank.   I need .......and will be getting the updated version of the decal maker.  I can get away with using the one I have at the moment........the diamonds will be on a light background and I can do the circles and lines in black.......I'm a little off on how the actual ship looks,  so a little bit more won't matter.  one side of the ship is complete....with the exception of the decals.   all I can say is that  it really changes the looks quite a bit!.   I'll have the update...as soon as I give Gibbs him early afternoon break  ;)

thanks Keith.........I think the admiral's printer has new ink jets......I wonder??????????  ;)

icky-may :D

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I said that I was going to do a little yesterday.....well,  I did.   I began with the rudder,  finishing it off and staining it.  instead of the bland looking plywood,  it looks like this.

post-612-0-68028700-1395853185_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-22202800-1395853196_thumb.jpg

all of the rail parts got the reddish mahogany stain.

post-612-0-96156200-1395853244_thumb.jpg

working on the port side first,  the rails were cemented in place....starting at the fore deck 's outer hull

post-612-0-48008600-1395853381_thumb.jpg

I added in the end caps.......and then the bottom rail was added.

post-612-0-73077400-1395853425_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-84261900-1395853437_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

today.......I started with the incline rails,  cutting and trimming them to fit.

post-612-0-96209100-1395853589_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-21125400-1395853613_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-02191300-1395853701_thumb.jpg

I began with the striped strips.......I must warn you......it does get a bit graphic here.  if you have that  'dizzy issue'.....then look in controlled glimpses.  if your susceptible to the 'WTBH syndrome',  refer to the picture a page or two back,  and it should dissipate rather quickly.   my only regret,  is that I probably should have made the sand area a bit wider.    and so I began........

post-612-0-32062400-1395854564_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-76232100-1395854576_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-02076400-1395854588_thumb.jpg

when I did the inclines,  I wasn't sure how I was going to the curved parts.........I quickly figured it out though ;)

post-612-0-96990200-1395854658_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-30150500-1395854671_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-68760100-1395854690_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-44240400-1395854704_thumb.jpg

then it was time for the bow to get it as well

post-612-0-00957100-1395854756_thumb.jpg

until I arrived with this........really staggers the imagination,  doesn't it?  ;)

post-612-0-35946400-1395854814_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

WOW!    Looking really fine!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

She's becoming very fetching with your colour scheme Popeye. I really like models with lots of colour to them.

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Augie hit it.... WOW!!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Augie.........you don't think it's too hard on the eyes? B)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you Peter and Mark!   I followed the picture :)    once I get the starboard side done,  I can do the transom.  I also need to do the bottom paint  {anti foul}......according to the picture,  it is red.  I can't airbrush,  so I will have to break out the brush......unless I get a good day,  then I can do it in the garage.  thanks for the good word!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: