Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

Popeye, that paint is outstanding! I'm definitely eager to see this with the decals.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Well the seizures have subsided and thought I'd comment. :D

Seriously though, it's amazing what a difference the trim makes. She's really going to POP with the diamonds and circles. Great job as always Popeye.

So here's an odd question. In reading Laughtons book Old Ship Figure-heads and Stern he talks about that of the ships of the 1400 and 1500's, many had painted sails. I've found this quite intriguing and wondered was this common on ships of differing countries and styles.

from Laughton (pg 9)

It was the era of painted sails, of the royal badges painted on the Kings ships, sometimes all over them, of private ships painted in the colours of the owners, and of a gorgeous display of flags of all kinds, banners, standards, streamers, penoncelles, according to the nature of the ship, her ownership and her employment.

As the Half Maen was sailed into New York Harbour in 1609 was she built in the late 1500's and with her colours it makes me wonder if she would have been adored so, with painted sails.

Just wanted to feed your creativity monster Popeye  :dancetl6:

I haven't looked in since yesterday and today the ship's almost done!  :huh:  :D  Well......maybe not, but you are progressing at lightening speed and she is looking excellent!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Don't know if you all have seen this but here are some interesting pic's of the replica.

http://www.newnetherland.org/ship.html

Here's an interesting quote also:

She was strangely old-fashioned in appearance, riding high in the water like the flat-bottomed boats the Dutch used on their insland waterway, the Zuider Zee. Her poop and fo'c'sle were higher than those of comparable English vessels, and her three masts looked perilously thin. Hudson's first reaction when he saw her was that she would be difficult to handle. 'I'm afraid' he complained ...'that she'll prove clumsy in foul weather."

Noel B. Gerson, Passage to the West: The Great Voyages of Henry Hudson.

Keith said

Well the seizures have subsided and thought I'd comment. :D

Made me laugh out loud!

Denis the colours are vibrant, you are doing a great job on this. It is interesting how different eras had their different colour schemes, I wonder what the 20th century one will be when looking back in a couple of hundred years.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Popeye,

Very nice paint job !

The only thing.....I don't know if this also count for the USA but in Holland, those red and white stripes means...Do not enter !

So nobody can go on board at your Half Moon ??????

But I love it !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

oh boy.....:)  sorry for the quick exit yesterday,  but I seemed to have picked up some sort of malware.......ad pop-ups all over the place!

the admiral installed a program she has on her computer to combat it.....and of course the shot over my bow,  that I should dump XP.

Now for the catch up.

thanks Patrick.......I hope to get to the decal soon.  I need to finish up on the other side,  and then it on to the transom.  I need to get new ink jet cartridges first.   thanks for the good word :)

thanks John.......not too sure if the original ship was done this way,  but it sure makes for an interesting model ;)    thanks for the good word!

thanks Keith......I wish that was the case.   I don't think it had a crest on any of the sails.   I'm dying to try the idea on a large scale....I have done flags at this time.   I do know that it is possible to pass sail cloth through a printer.  it's something to shoot for in the future.

I have read that particular article about Henry Hudson,  and that website is the same one that I gleaned a couple of pictures from, among others that I have visited.   did you see that one I posted from National Geographic?  I thought it was pretty cool.  thanks for the good word,  my friend!

thank you very much Sherry.......still more to go before I get to mast her.   I am rather hampered at the moment......can't use the cellar for airbrushing  {bottom paint & clear coat},  so I don't have a timeline for it yet.   for now,  just do as much as I can........I think 90% of the parts have already been assembled in some way or another.   pretty awesome,  if you think about it  ;)  thanks for the good word!

thanks Frank! :)

thanks Andy........always a pleasure to see you pop in every now and again :)   thanks for the good word!

thanks Michael........I guess that the next generation would have a much easier time with their modeling......they'll have pictures to fall back on.   we have to rely on historians and written text to imagine how these ships were adorned......even then we have to wade through all of the conjecture and points of view.   all 'n all.......I think we do a fine job of it ;)  thanks for the good word!

I didn't know that Sjors... :huh:    in our country......yes,  it could be construed as a word of caution,   but it's OK on this ship......it's a barber shop!   thanks for the good word,  my friend!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Fine job on the piant.  It will be fun watching the decals go on.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Bob and Ferit.   I got ink cartridges :)    I'm almost done with the starboard side....just have the trail boards to do.   I have a set of the diamonds printed.......and I find out that I'm out of bonder.....crap!   I'll have to go and get some tomorrow.....then perhaps,  i"ll be able to show you that bit of progress.

so.....yes,  the starboard side is done.......started with the rails.....

post-612-0-45518400-1395961123_thumb.jpg

...and then the striped trim

post-612-0-54179900-1395961164_thumb.jpg

I made one set of decals......still need the bonder to seal them up.  I might have to make an even smaller set......I think these are still too large.

post-612-0-12485800-1395961251_thumb.jpg

still need to make up the circles......I did the trail boards

post-612-0-68320900-1395961335_thumb.jpg

now.....both sides are finished.

post-612-0-21731300-1395961372_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Smiling over here.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks Augie  :);)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Geoff :)   for an kit with missing pieces,  it's been a lot of fun.  thanks for the good word and looking in  :)

I look at so many builds here.......it's hard to see them all.   I skimmed through your logs....... I was glad to see how quickly you picked things up.  now I see your doing two builds......the more you do,  the more you'll learn.   your doing very well........keep up the good work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Beautiful work Popeye!  I would love to work with a decal machine like that.  There's so many details you can achieve with decals.  Sjors I don't see any do not enter signs.  Maybe they just mean use caution while boarding so you don't miss your step.   ;)

Edited by DSiemens

Sweet work, Popeye.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What a collection of clamps ... and models ...

I like Her

... I suppose during working you listened in background "Half-moonlight sonata" from L.W.Beethoven  or a half of "moonlight sonata" first or second part

Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

That's a very sharp looking Half Moon Popeye!!!

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

thanks John,  Mark and Patrick  :)

I think the ship's barber is out at the moment Sjors.....but I could do it!  I have attachments for my clippers!  ;)   ......and for that traditional stooge's haircut........I can use a bowl! :D :D :D   appreciate the good word!

I do listen to classical music from time to time........I was thinking more of the songs like  "sunglasses at night"....or "cheap sunglasses"

thanks for the good word Nenad!  ;)

decal makers are nice things to have Daniel......I wish I had one when I was into modeling cars.   although it makes it easy to create the fancy designs on ships,  it still doesn't come close to those who are really good with a brush.  the first thing to do,   is to figure out whether a particular aspect is painted on.....or carved.  to be honest......I don't know if I can carve .....I should try it.  I'll keep it in mind when I do get the updated version ;)  icky-may :)

thank you Borge.........good to see you here!  did you see the glare all the way to Norway? :D :D   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you very much Lawrence.   i've done a bit of work on the circles and lines........I having to make them using paint shop....need to figure out how to make the design look thicker.....I'll show you what I have so far.   thanks for the good word.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I had begun on the transom this past Friday.   still some more to go before it will be complete.   I'm going to lean more toward the Billing diagram with it,  instead of the picture I've shown you......I like the added detail it brings to the build.   first,  I added the decorative molding that encases the transom......then the 'brim' at the top of it.

post-612-0-98147100-1396373460_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-31416300-1396373472_thumb.jpg

on the back rail,  I added a piece of the striped stripping and the ornament on the top

post-612-0-84890000-1396373557_thumb.jpg

now,  as I mentioned,  I created the circles and lines on paint shop.   the one that is included in this computer is bare boned......can't do too much with it.   I have downloaded paint shop 10.....I just need to install it,  and I'll see how much more I can do.

post-612-0-37334500-1396373762_thumb.jpg

after importing the scanned copy of this design into the decal maker,  I ran off a sheet.......but I think the image needs to be beefed up a little.......it may be hard to see.

post-612-0-39778900-1396373882_thumb.jpg

if this was the decal itself,  you would not see all this white,  but it will fit something like this on the ship

post-612-0-18502100-1396373935_thumb.jpg

there are other parts that will adorn the transom.........two crests,  the moon,  the stars,   and the logo for the East India company.  the stars are going to be interesting.......they are the studs that I found in the paper craft dept, at Hobby Lobby.   I still want to go back and buy those other stars I saw......I will be sure to show them when I do.  for some of the folks that have ship star decorations.......they will find these quite useful.   anyway.......I painted all of these parts.

post-612-0-66132200-1396374321_thumb.jpg

the Billing diagram shows that there are four gun ports....two on the transom,  and two just below the counter.   these I have to make from scratch....they are missing in the kit.   they are 10 mm squares of basswood......for the hardware,  I'm using dark mahogany stripping......they are in the beginning phase.

post-612-0-70677600-1396374552_thumb.jpg

the mahogany was painted flat black........two of them will be painted blue,  and the other two will be stained the color of the hull.......there's still more to do to them  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Lookin' good Popeye! Very anxious to see the decals in place.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne