First build

Jeff L

As the title says I’m about to take my first steps into wood model building, I’ve built countless plastic models but I am ready for a new challenge. I’ve wanted to build the Occre cut-away Bounty but after reading build logs and watching YouTube builds it seemed a bit ambitious for my first one so I’ve ordered the Occre Albatross. I was watching a build video and the guy building it was using some sort of palm-sized squeeze bulb to put pins into the planking and it made me realize that I may not be tooled up right for a wood build. So the obvious question is.. what, if any, special tools would you recommend I should have?? 

Hello Jeff,

I did a quick search and found a couple videos that sound like the ones to which you are referring. (DevMa models?)  My apologies to the builder in the video, but IMHO I would not use anything from the planking video as a how-to guide, including his use of pins.  First and foremost, study the tutorials on planking here at MSW.  Follow some other builds  plank-on-bulkhead models like similar to your Albatross.  

There are numerous posts here at MSW on what tools are needed/recommended and these are a great reference.   For the kit, I would guess hand tools will suffice, so no big investment is needed to start off.   Specifically, regarding pins, Tee pins to temporarily hold the planks are an option, but definitely not pins shoved all the way home as they need to be taken out.    Remember that the magnificent contemporary models from hundreds of years ago that still exist today were built with hand tools.  

First time builds can launch you into a lifetime of builds or end the journey with the first model.  You are very lucky to have this forum available to you as most of us had no such source of thousands of helpers and teachers when we started our first builds, so take advantage of it and learn from our mistakes.    

Most of all, have fun with your project!!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hey Jeff, welcome to the world of model shipwrights.

I'm about 1/3 through my first build and thought I would pass along some things I've learned.

The advice I received was to buy tools as you need them. Then buy the correct tool of the best quality you can afford. 

Your probably going to start with the keel and bulkheads. Look at as many build logs as you can and see what tools others have used for these steps before buying. Then do the same for each following step.

Yes, it slows things down. But I'm finding patience is key with this hobby. I'm still adding needed tools as I go along but it does help spread the cost.

If, at some point, you decide this isn't for you, you will only have invested in the tools and materials you needed to reach that point.

And if you finish the model, you will be well equipped for the next.

I also follow some of the other forumson this site. Like tools, jigs, painting ect. I've found lots of tips that will help me in future points with my build.

Also there are many fine book on the build process of wooden models. I just acquired, as a Christmas present, both volumes of Ship Modeler's Shop Notes from the NRG website

Good luck, and use this site to your advantage.

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

Hi Jeff,

Allen and Dave are spot on. I am on my 5th model over the course of 35+ years and I'm still adding to my tool arsenal (and learning!). But when I first started I only had what I used when I was building R/C aircraft and made it through the process. MSW is an excellent source of information, use it and enjoy it. I will never be as good as a lot of our members but they sure help me in wanting to improve my work. Welcome aboard and have fun with this VERY rewarding hobby!

Mike

Hi Jeff - Hope you enjoy that build. I’m presently working on a cut away Bounty myself and have finished a number of wooden ships and boats. Some specialty tools I’ve tried but find I never use much. Others are really helpful. That bulb thing for nailing you mention I tried using once but now gathers dust in my toolbox  (I just pre drill and use my little hammer). You will probably find out what works best for you through trial and error like me. The picture shows all the basic tools I have come to use all the time and which work really well for me.  They always seem to be front and centre on my work table and have been invaluable to me over the years for cutting, shaping and fashioning wooden boat models.

2D93901A-8C9C-4072-A2C4-4A3D12A4CB15.jpeg

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Jeff,

you have received excellent advice. The tool arsenal Tim shows is exactly what I used to build my 1st. Only exception was I used the cheap xacto saws. Still do! Good luck and ask questions. 

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans. 

Welcome! I just purchased that Bounty kit recently, please do a log when or if you start 😊 

Hi Jeff, welcome to MSW.  You've received tons of good advice already so enjoy the build and open a build log.  The log will be the best way to get help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Jeff,

One more comment.   Tim's photo is really great.... except..... there looks to be a bottle of CA glue.  UGH!  (My own personal opinion and certainly not a universal one😕)  If you can start your endeavors into wooden ship building without it, I think many, if not most, members here will agree that you will be better off.  There is no need for CA anywhere in building wooden ships and based on posts here at MSW it seems it causes as many problems as it solves.      

I think by now you see what I meant about getting input from the crew.  

Allan  

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Jeff, one other thing I wanted to pass along. I've learned from experience that sometimes one needs to test a process before doing the work on the model.

For example; I'm in the middle of attaching the rudder to the ship. This means fabricating the pintles and grugedons and attaching them. On scratch materials I'm testing epoxy, soldering, micro nails, drilling, shaping and so forth.

Of course, some processes are straight forward. But if something seems complicated, it may be best to do a test run first.

Take you time and if you feel rushed, put it down and take a break.

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose