Cheapie Chinese kits?

Brewerpaul

While looking for a first time kit, I came across tons of VERY inexpensive (<$20) wood ship model kits from China. I stayed away from them because what seems too good to be true probably is...

I'm curious if anyone here has actually built one of these? How did it come out?
I'm hoping to win an eBay auction for a solid hull Scientific Dos Amigos kit as a starter, but I was thinking that if I contemplate a planked ship in the future, these ultra inexpensive Chinese kits might be a decent way to learn to plank without ruining a better quality kit.

Hello Paul,

I suggest you read is:

It is a serious subject and an informative thread.

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

just a suggestion but if you want to learn how to plank you might look at the NRG half hall planking project you get a basic education in how a POB ship is built and a great planking education by Toni it really is a learning experience and a fun project and if you have questions help is just a click away

Best

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

Don't buy them. I was a victim of their strategy.

They just cut one piece of full kit from western companies into small pieces, and sell the hands and legs of the kit as 'enhanced parts'. If you buy the $20 kit, you will definitely regret because guns and anchors are wooden sticks. If you buy all of the enhanced parts, it costs more than the original kit they stole.

Economically, ethically, legally wrong decision.

Modeller_masa, I can't like your post enough.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Modeller_masa, I can't like your post enough.

I bought the pirate kit when I was building the first kit an year ago. I didn't know this forum at that time, and the first time I read the post about banned makers was when I joined this community last month.

It is common that South Koreans buy chinese products from aliexpress, and I also found the kit when I was researching the next ship. As a consequence, I had to buy additional parts at $100 after I purchased the skeleton $20 kit. Unfortunately, SK modellers communities are super thin, and most people don't know about pirate issue. Only a few communities banned posting the pirate kit of 'GUNDAM', which is the most famous modeller's hobby in SK. When I bought the pirate kit, and was frustrated by the splitting sales strategy, some of modellers were building one of the pirate kits. At last, I stopped to make the kit because of horrible wood quality. It stinks really bad like strong chemicals.

That's my story. I think I need to spread about the pirate story to SK modellers. I'll translate the article and let people know what brands are wrong and why they shouldn't make the mistake I did.

We do have a list of pirate companies (see below) who's kits are banned from MSW.  I hope this might help you get the word out about them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 1/28/2020 at 11:38 AM, Ebomba said:

just a suggestion but if you want to learn how to plank you might look at the NRG half hall planking project you get a basic education in how a POB ship is built and a great planking education by Toni it really is a learning experience and a fun project and if you have questions help is just a click away

Best

Ed

Where would I find that project.

An off topic question as long as we're talking about planking. I'm currently on my first wooden ship,which is a cross section of the Constitution. In that short hull section,planking was easy, with no cutting,fitting or bending. I already have my next project;as a recent transplant to Maryland, I bought a used Pride Of Baltimore II online from eBay. Looking it over it looks like a terrific kit but I already have questions. Would it be a good idea to start a build log for the POB now and ask some of those questions even though I won't start the kit for several months at least?

• 2 weeks later...