Hello and yet another Syren in progress

Kevin53

Hello from Naperville Illinois.  As a recent retiree, I have finally gotten the time to try out some hobbies.  I am currently in the middle of building the US Brig Syren from a MSW kit.  This is my first wooden ship model, so I have had to develop many new skills as I go.  I have greatly benefitted from reading many of the build blogs on this site.  My philosophy is to take my time and enjoy the process.IMG_2213.thumb.jpg.60d32f5e4006fdc369d57e949eee03b9.jpg

I am nearing the completion of the exterior of the hull and I am looking forward to staring on the carronades. 

Almost as much fun as doing the actual build has been setting up my work space, building jigs, and acquiring new tools!  (Perhaps my background in engineering is showing.)  I struggled with what to do with the 42” x 30” drawings while building ship models.  The sheets were too big to have laying around and I didn’t have the wall space in my work room to hang them up.  My solution was to design this rolling drawing rack out of ¾” PVC pipe.

IMG_0540.thumb.jpg.2b350016346bbcc1e0ca1a9338fd3733.jpg

Regards

- Kevin

Kevin

Currently building US Brig Syren.

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

:sign:

Hello, great job with the drawing frame!! A very nice Syren also

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Kevin, Welcome to MSW.  You have a nice looking Syren and I hope you start a build log.  I will definitely follow it.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Kevin,  from the PNW a warm Welcome to our corner of ship modeling.

Your progress with Syren is fantastic, very nice job!  I have a skeleton of her waiting for further attention.

I like the idea of your rack (for plans that is). May I take the idea of yours and make my own?
My new shop has limited wall space for plans so this would be to great help.

Again, warm welcome to MSW.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Nirvana - Thank you for your kind words.  Yes, by all means you may use my drawing rack plans.  I am sure it can be improved upon. I would be interested in seeing what you do with it. 
 - Kevin

Kevin

Currently building US Brig Syren.

Wow...  that plan rack is genius!   Got any plans or information on that you could share?   

EDIT:   Nevermind, I just found your post on this elsewhere : 

Great piece Ill be adding to my shop renovation plans. 

Edited by Justin P.

• 2 weeks later...