Caldercraft HMS Cruiser 1:64

Wahka_est

Hi all,

Somehow Caldercraft HMS Cruiser has catched my eye. I like how it looks like in natural wood finish (may just good photos :) ).

They advertise it as quite simple build with fast completion time.

My question here is that there basicly isnt much info about builds etc. Also cant find any good descussions about it. Is there any reason people avoid it?

I saw a really good deal for that and allready ordered it (deal was too good to be wasted).

All info about the kit and knowhow are welcome.

Wahka

This kit was an early design by Chris Watton for Caldercraft's "Nelson's Navy" line of kits. Chris is an innovative designer who is well-known and respected in the modeling community. Those early Caldercraft kits were cutting-edge in their day and are still great models twenty years on. We have a number of examples here, both finished and in progress, for instance here and here. You'll not be disappointed.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Wahka,

I'll add to what Chris said and suggest you open a log.   Not only will you get help, but you'll be helping others.    

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wahka, I think part of the reason there may not be a lot of info is it is basically the same ship as Caldercraft’s Snake kit and the Snake has carronades vs cannon and the hull is copper plated which may be why there are a few more Snakes - even so you could probably follow those build logs as well for info. And for sure if you start a log and ask for input you’ll have it....

Having nearly finished Snake (been on hiatus for a while) and determined to finish, in retrospect I think I should have gone with 'Cruizer' for among the following reasons:

•  Copper plating is not an easy out, its time consuming in of itself.  You could always add it to a Cruizer model by buying separately if you desire.
  •  The masting and rigging is slightly less involved, 2 masts vs 3 - Snake is my first build and Cruizer might have been slightly simpler to get head around trigging and also less repetition
Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I built Cruiser with some modifications to better represent the class. Materials are generally good, as are the plans. As an early CC kit the instructions are lacking badly. I barely used them anyway, but depending on your experience level it's something to keep in mind. 

The link to my build is in the "completed section of my signature. 

20190215_144220.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Everyone is here to help if you have issues. Make sure you start a build log so we can follow along. 

Good luck!

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"