Revell Tie fighter - 1:110 by Fnick (Finished)

fnick

Hi all

Shipyard is in the garage and it being a bit too cold to go in there during the winter I thought I'd do something a bit different:81Uw3DxVWDL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.a71917b843e1054a96a32b8e6bbeae71.jpg

Also had a case of builders block with Le Mirage... And also really wanted to finish a kit in less than 20 years! I've been watching a few (lots!😄) Of plasmo's videos to get some tips. I've not got too many progress pics but here there are 

IMG_20200325_070638622.thumb.jpg.29ba1063ce94e7dc2ed97cbec2c3c36f.jpg

IMG_20200325_070720960.thumb.jpg.12618ed8f0e5def0fe07a516fa84afa4.jpg

IMG_20200318_210639591.thumb.jpg.1700a52446062a19e724603b0f302bdb.jpg

IMG_20200329_204819896.thumb.jpg.322bdaa83a7e09fb97ee5e5065341d8d.jpg

IMG_20200329_204243206.thumb.jpg.c32e6d71dce1d85a7acf2d0d92b0b834.jpg

As you can see I've gone for a greyer colour than the box art which just looks too much like blue to me.

Question for the more experienced plastic modellers out there: what kind of spray varnish (out of rattle can or with brush) is the best? I've tried humbrol acrylic varnish out of spray can but it comes out far too quickly and also appears to make the paint crack...

Thanks for looking in

Nick

Edited by fnick

Nice looking Tie Nick...

My suggestion is Testors dull coat or gloss coat for clear finishes..... It is lacquer and stinks the place up, but it's the best as far as I'm concerned...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I should add it's not finished yet. C

A few patches to tidy up and I also need to try and accentuate the panel lines on the main body. I do have a dark grey wash but it doesn't appear to flow in the lines easily. Might be worth getting Tamiya panel Line.

Nick

Nice job, looks good,  will you be getting the X-wing to complement it??😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks Edward! As tempting as that is😄 I've got an airfix starter kit of an Aston Martin DB5 that my best man gave me on my 40th which was nearly 3 years ago... Probably should start that first! Kit isn't brilliant but it will be a good way to get back into doing car kits.

Nick

Ps: can't get too hooked on plastic kits Le Mirage will end up being exactly that!

Edited by fnick

5 hours ago, fnick said:

Ps: can't get too hooked on plastic kits Le Mirage will end up being exactly that!

I know what you mean, these plastics guys tempt you in then never let you out!!😂😂

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

1 minute ago, Edwardkenway said:

I know what you mean, these plastics guys tempt you in then never let you out!!😂😂

What  - Me - Us  on here  😉

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

3 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

What  - Me - Us  on here  😉

Trouble is I'm enjoying it, so there will be another plastic kit after the dauntless :P

Current builds;

Completed:

5 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Trouble is I'm enjoying it, so there will be another plastic kit after the dauntless :P

Glad to hear it   - we will build our woes away.☺️

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

it's good to work in both mediums........change with the seasons ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

56 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

Are you a clairvoyant  Denis?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

6 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Are you a clairvoyant  Denis?

OC.

Nope, he thinks everybody is like him ;)

Fnick, I used Vallejo rattlecan lacquers for the destroyers I have built, and for a BF 109G I used AK from a bottle, because I didn't have any satin left in a can. In the end it all boils down to preference.

P.s. I didn't like Valleyo bottled lacquers for use in an airbrush, with a conventional brush it worked as expected

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

7 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

Yeah, and eventually you combine them, and we get multimedia.... for those wild and crazy days....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

no Carl.....if your like me.......you do anything that hit the table  :D  {I've been showing great restraint with the wagons}.   at the moment,  I'm working on both wood and plastic.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

As long as the boxes do not hit the table, there isn't anything to build :P

Nick, don't mention it. Currently testing Mr Paint both enamels and acrylics. I really like the enamels for airbrushing.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

The tie fighter is finally finished. I opted to use humbrol Matt varnish as I did another test and it worked fine. Unfortunately grrrh the windows have completely misted up...😠

Anything I can do? Clean it carefully with white spirit maybe? I'll let the photos do the talking. The colours are a lot lighter than in real life. I had to use the flash just to see the details. I'll try again tomorrow in the middle of the day

IMG_20200410_182310163.thumb.jpg.62537cf5280a5e6ae668399e47beb7d5.jpg

IMG_20200410_182254054.thumb.jpg.59688176d84e5a281beaffd2f97753f6.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Nick

Great looking Tie-fighter,  did you follow Dirks Imperial Star Destroyer?

I'll be around when you do the DB5

Current builds;

Completed:

3 hours ago, fnick said:

grrrh the windows have completely misted up

Gloss varnish might help. I wouldn't go for the white spirit. I found MR Paint (NOT Mr Color!) Cleaner to be a very effective paint remover, both enamel as acrylics. Watch out you do not touch other areas than the ones you want to "strip"

Carl

Nope never sanded varnish was going to try and use a cotton bud to remove it. I used Matt varnish.didnt know about the putting on another layer trick. Thanks!

Don't think I have other varnishes. Mind you Ill need to order some satin or gloss varnish for the db5.

Odd for even matt should still be opaque. It may be that the clear plastic turned murky, which you cannot alter, but for changing it. In tis particular case I would try the MR Paint Cleaner with a cotton swab.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

fighter looks awesome Nick........tough call on the glass.  never had any real luck in recovering it....never used a varnish either.   turning white is usually a humidity thing.......I get that a lot with lacquer.  if you do try to strip it off and it looks promising,  perhaps some clear nail polish will bring back the luster

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On 4/10/2020 at 11:43 PM, fnick said:

I'm a bit confused cog... Clean off Matt varnish with gloss varnish?

No he referring to the surface the two different lacquers put on a finish, Matt Lacquer is designed to break up a smooth surface so it doesn't reflect light, where gloss lacquer is designed to smooth a surface so it reflects as much light as possible....  What he's contemplating is spraying the dry matt lacquer with high gloss lacquer nd see if correcting the finish will allow light to pass... I've heard of this before but I think it depends on which lacquer formulations were used... Lacquer from 30 years ago (true lacquer) crazes clear surfaces, that is unrecoverable. The current crop of Lacquers are not chemically true lacquers, but they act like them.... you might be able to restore it by recovering with the correct lacquer, or even stripping and removal of the lacquer......

At this point being covered with matt, it doesn't look right and never will... another option is if the kit is a round two model, and is in current production, you can get the replacement part fairly easily......

I hope this explanation helps you come to a resolution....

Other than your question on the finished windows, Beautiful model... nice work...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Thanks for the comments gents!🙂 appreciate them especially since it's been a while since I did a plastic model.

Yes my plan is to use some gloss varnish (hopefully arriving end of next week) on the windows as I have also heard it can clear them up to some extent. If it doesn't work then I'll add that to the experience pile!

If you have some or can possibly get some you might try using Future floor shine:

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey