Planking techniques and tutorials and videos, etc.

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/

Its available in the top menu under Modeling Techniques as well.   There are also some discussions and topics on this same techniques page.   Browse through and enjoy.

I am slowly creating focused “techniques” areas on the common  subjects of ship modeling expertise.  So far two are completed.  Planking and rope making.  I have moved the more robust and educational topics on each subject along with any downloads, videos etc.  to make them easier to find.....hopefully.

more will follow.  Just have to decide on the next one.   

any suggestions?

Chuck

A video on your painting technique would be great Chuck. I’ve read your explanations before, but there is nothing like seeing it being done to make it really clear.

19 hours ago, gjdale said:

A video on your painting technique would be great Chuck. I’ve read your explanations before, but there is nothing like seeing it being done to make it really clear.

1. I'll second the recommendation by Grant for a video on Chuck's painting techniques for getting a high quality paint job without lap or brush marks in the finish. I have been using thin coats of acrylics and, although I get a pretty good finish, I still end up with some noticeable lap and brush marks if you look closely. The video could include recommendations for preparing the surface for painting, brush types to use, how much to thin the paint and stroke techniques to help prevent lap and brush marks, etc.

2. A video on the process of correctly fairing the hull would be great also since it is such an important step in successfully laying the foundation for the model. I understand what we are trying to achieve in an accurately faired hull but I still don't feel confident in how I go about it. I'm often uncertain if I have taken off enough or too much even though I am checking the frames often with a batten. The video could include recommended sanding blocks and grades of sandpaper to use. Is it best to start at the bow and work towards the middle or start in the middle and work towards the bow and then the stern, etc? What is the best way to fair the more difficult areas such as the more severe curves at the bow and stern? How should properly faired frames intersect with the rabbett and how does that vary along the length of the keel?

3. A video demonstrating the process of cutting the rabbett would be great too. This is another important step that is often rather vague for many modelers. The video could cover many aspects of cutting the rabbett including the choice of tools, how the rabbett changes along the keel, how to check the cut as you go along and what it should look like when done properly especially at the stem and stern.

4. An addition to Chuck's excellent planking videos would be a video demonstrating how to correct the little things like gaps that may show up along a plank. For example, in one of the planking videos, Chuck points out a small place where the plank he has just finished edge bending does not lie completely flush with the previous plank near the bow and says that it will take a little tweaking to get it to match up better. How is that done? Does the plank need to be bent more at that point or does the edge need to be beveled in that area or both? Also, what is a good way to eliminate small gaps that appear between planks here and there? Is it best just to bevel that area only, etc? These are such important things to know since little errors in planking tend to creep and get magnified as we continue along with planking process.  

I know that successful, experienced modelers perfect their techniques over the years and that there isn't "one perfect way" to do any particular task, but a step-by-step video from someone with years of experience about their techniques would be very helpful to many of us. As the saying goes: " A picture is worth a thousand words" and I think a well made video can be even better.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 7 months later...

Chuck,

Of all the jobs required to build most models, I don't think any are as daunting as taking a chisel to a keel for the rabbet.  Talk about quickly screwing up, making a mistake cutting the rabbet is rarely recoverable (I know).  The forums and build logs talk a good bit about the topic, and there are YouTube videos regarding the topic on real ships.  Would it be useful to demonstrate the techniques from bearding line to laying a plank to installing a false stem?

Thanks for asking for ideas and your unfathomable experience.

John

Current build: Great Harry, restoration 

On hold: Soliel Royale, Mantua

Completed:

Bluenose ll, Artesania Latina

San Francisco llArtesania Latina

Chris Craft barrel back triple cockpit, Dumas

Chris Craft 1940 double cockpit, Dumas

Santa Maria, Artesania Latina

1901 Scow Schooner, scratch built

Hannah, Continental Navy, scratch built 

Candelaria bomb ship, OcCre

Pride of Baltimore, Model Shipways

17 foot Chesapeake kayak (2, one scratch), Midwest

USN Picket Boat #1, Model Shipways

Kobuksan, Turtle Korean ironclad, YoungModeler

HMS Revenge, scratch

NY Pilot Boat, kit bashed, Model Shipways

USS Monitor, scratch

Nuestra Senora de Afortunado, 1926 Popular Science plan, Resoration

Martha, CBMM,

Puddle Jumper, scratch stern wheeler

Lady Sarah, kit bashed Constructo Victorian launch

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/2/2021 at 7:41 PM, Johnnyoldboy said:

Lady Nelson is my first build. Have been struggling with first planking. I bought bender but tough to control. What I found was the best technique was to wet the plank for 1 minute and then bend over a soldering iron. You are able to bend and put a twist on the plank pretty easily

Try any steam source. I usually use a facial steamer my wife discarded years ago, some seconds into steam convert the usual measurements of strips in something really easy to be bent.

• 7 months later...

Great videos Chuck and planking techniques is great as well. As many modelers have a dislike for the garboard strake, a short video would greatly enhance the steps in the planking techniques. I know in y case I'd rather rig hundreds of masts than take an 8mm x 1.5mm x 550mm plank nd make it a garboard.

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

I think your best bet for understanding the Garboard will be to look at the Half Hull Planking Project..

Talk about the garboard starts here:

I agree the garboard has caused a lot of grief, but I think the main mistake people make is how far forward it should run.

Garboard1a.jpg

The black strip shows the placement of the garboard.  Toni says " The garboard is the only strake with a straight edge. "  The image is misleading due to perspective. As it runs forward you have to account for the space it covers on the curved bulkheads.

image.jpeg.f16c38c877321cc5260e803ca8f7f2c0.jpeg

As I mentioned, where the garboard meets the stem is critical, but if you just lay a straight line , accounting for your plank width, from the stern to the stem, it will be perfect.

The mistake most often made is letting the garboard fall to far aft , which result in planks that curve upward too much as the planking moves up the bow.

Practice making your planks with paper or card before committing your wood stock.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon