New Member: Boats Billy, Wichita, KS

Greetings fellow modelers: I understand it is customary to introduce oneself to the community. I'm Bill Bushey, from Wichita KS. Retired Boatswain from the USN Military Sealift Command, 40 years at sea. Built plastic kit sailing ships by the dozen as a boy, then lost the hobby sailing. Retired now and jumping back in. Just purchased an original 1974 USS Constitution Revel 1/96. Going to do a custom build as follows.

Bought aftermarket parts and equipment: HisModel blocks, deadeyes, rigging thread, oak decking, parrels, captstan, draft scales, gun tackle blocks, flags and cloth sails. Going to rig her with topsail and t'gallants, port tack with guns run out to port. All other sails furled, except courses. Them brailed. Also jib and spanker rigged. Looking to achieve a "spoiling for a fight" effect.

From Model Monkey: galley stove, lower capstan and the 1808 cast 24 pounders, carriages and 32 pound carronades. Splurged for some 18 pounder barrels as well for proper bow chaser. I plan to post a photo and essay build log. Any fellow crafters out there that have worked with the HisModel and Model Monkey after market parts, all input and suggestion much appreciated. I have the workflow instructions from HisModel, but we all know there are tricks and tips that come only from experience.

Permission to come aboard?

Billy

:piratebo5:and welcome to MSW.  Looking forward to seeing your build as I did this kit as a kid:D

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome to MSW Billy, looking forward to your log.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome to MSW.   This sounds like a great project.  I'm looking forward to it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 months later...

I'm back aboard. Spent some time getting my eyes repaired. Both running lamps have new lenses, so now I can see the bloody thing!! Build log underway.

So....Initial hull half flat black paint with the copper added below the waterline. I've closed off the forward gunport on the gun deck each side. Going to rig 1812 with the 30-24's, carronades on the spar deck and a custom bought scale 18 for the bow chaser. The gun deck is pre-glued together with the hatches painted so I can use the first of my aftermarket parts. HisModel (out of Czechoslovakia) makes after market parts for this kit and I bought the oak planking veneers for the decks. The pieces have been cut out of the factory plate and I did have to trim the hatch openings just a millimeter on the forward sides. I attribute that to the idiosyncrasies of the deck assemblage and not any vendor error. 

This is going to be a slow build. I've got custom/after-market parts out the ying-yang. Cannons will be rigged, custom capstan, stove, lanterns, shot racks, the works. Probably be a review of two big after-market vendor parts as well (His Model and Model Monkey.

Underway.

Constitution Build (01).jpg

Constitution Build (02).jpg

Constitution Build (03).jpg

Constitution Build (04).jpg

Good to have another Kansan aboard Billy.  I live about hour and half east of Wichita and have just finished the kit you are working on.  

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

The photos like great.  I suggest you start a build log in the kit area. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good to see your model, Billy. The thing to do now is start a build log and upload your photos there. Then everybody gets to see them and follow your progress. Instructions on starting a log are here:

You'll find a lot of helpful people along the way who'll be able to offer advice and encouragement as you make your journey.