HMS Terror by clearway - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:75 - upgraded

21 minutes ago, clearway said:

ahhhh the mystery just keeps going

Without an eyewitness to the event, a mystery it will always be. We merely guess at what could have been. 

Thanks for looking in everyone, just a quicky tonight with the starboard davits installed (been having a lot of good weather for D.I.Y till today). Have decided will go with wooden supports for the bridge based on the fact that less iron makes sense if trying to heighten the compass away from masses of iron in the hull (should we have used wooden railing supports methinks!?

2031736581_Terror_starboard_davits1.thumb.jpg.c8ea3fad7249355145cd6eb1aeea8c7f.jpg

take care all

Keith

Not just a great photo, that's a heck of a lot of work you've done there.

2 hours ago, clearway said:

should we have used wooden railing supports methinks!?

Best I can give is 'maybe'. Oak posts at 2 1/2 or 3 inches square would be strong enough but a strong enough mounting at the base may present a problem. I'm not sure.

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

10 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

Not just a great photo, that's a heck of a lot of work you've done there.

Best I can give is 'maybe'. Oak posts at 2 1/2 or 3 inches square would be strong enough but a strong enough mounting at the base may present a problem. I'm not sure.

Thanks very muchly guys for the likes and comments- yep Craig that is why i went with iron stanchions- however at the sight where they discovered the long pine "piece" mentioned couple of posts ago, they also found a 3 foot longish piece of oak with a locating peg cut into the bottom and a 1 inch hole through the top which is screaming removable handrail stanchion....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvC0gD1emNjqGq8EBKhqf8-HcCkT-Xwdk_mg&usqp=CAU

Take care everyone

Keith

Edited by clearway
missed info

1 hour ago, clearway said:

yep Craig that is why i went with iron stanchions

I think you were right the first time although this was a preliminary drawing.

ZAZ5672 enlarged:

1896856572_ZAZ5672s-2j1406gc1b.jpg.83e7d4a1b623e6d3d6cf92672d81aff6.jpg

Craig.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

I agree Craig- just sometimes you see things and wonder if they hadn't altered stuff- it's almost as if the admiralty went out of their way to create confusion by mashing up updated fittings on drawings from before the latest drawings! And they provided updated draughts for the updates on their ships except for the re-fit we need (mind you it is the same with Beagle (can't remember the guys name offhand but he didn't seem to like producing complete drawings for his exploration ship re-fits).

Keith

22 minutes ago, clearway said:

it's almost as if the admiralty went out of their way to create confusion

And leaving stuff out because every shipwright knows how it's done.......  Oh my aching head.

Craig.

And each Captain wanted the ship's carpenter to make changes that made them feel more confident in their command of the ship......"that stick of wood over there needs to be over here." Though a Captain's discretion probably occurred more often when it came to the rigging. 

On 9/23/2022 at 8:55 PM, Keith Black said:

And each Captain wanted the ship's carpenter to make changes that made them feel more confident in their command of the ship......"that stick of wood over there needs to be over here." Though a Captain's discretion probably occurred more often when it came to the rigging. 

oh yes Keith- it was the captains choice to remove the cross jack and topsail off the mizzen mast and send them back to the naval yard that made Terror and Erebus barque rigged- also accounts of captains heightening/ lowering masts to alter trim when under sail for the first time based on previous experience/ knowledge. In matthews book he states how Crozier sent the iron waist davits back as he didn't think they would stand up to arctic conditions. 

As Keith S and myself keep saying " all the info we are needing is there on the seafloor - though resembles some of the restoration jobs some of you guys have started build logs with .... hmm looks over at Keith B 😉

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Keith, hope you are having a good start to October.

I’m struggling a bit with the telltales on the sails. A couple questions if I can?

How did you get yours to fall straight down? Mine want to point in all directions.

Is there some sort of knot on both sides of the sail to hold them in place? I’ve tried a few things and if I use knots, the direction of the tail doesn’t fall straight down. Without knots, they are unstable and seem to be easily tugged out of place. Just not sure how to make these work and look somewhat realistic.

Any help appreciated.

15 hours ago, DanielD said:

Keith, hope you are having a good start to October.

I’m struggling a bit with the telltales on the sails. A couple questions if I can?

How did you get yours to fall straight down? Mine want to point in all directions.

Is there some sort of knot on both sides of the sail to hold them in place? I’ve tried a few things and if I use knots, the direction of the tail doesn’t fall straight down. Without knots, they are unstable and seem to be easily tugged out of place. Just not sure how to make these work and look somewhat realistic.

Any help appreciated.

Hi Daniel- Doing good thanks- hows things your way? Been busy completing outdoor jobs before winter sets in so little workshop time😐, regards reefing points (telltales) i used a darning needle and a few inches of the 0.5 mm rigging thread, passed the thread through the sail with an overlong tail on one side, then used normal sewing thread just below where the reefpoint went through and passed half dozen stitches around it. Also when trimmed to length used some diluted P.V.A. to stiffen them and stop unravelling. 

Not very prototypical but we are talking 1/75 scale here.

Keith

Edited by clearway
missed info

10 hours ago, clearway said:

Hi Daniel- Doing good thanks- hows things your way? Been busy completing outdoor jobs before winter sets in so little workshop time😐, regards reefing points (telltales) i used a darning needle and a few inches of the 0.5 mm rigging thread, passed the thread through the sail with an overlong tail on one side, then used normal sewing thread just below where the reefpoint went through and passed half dozen stitches around it. Also when trimmed to length used some diluted P.V.A. to stiffen them and stop unravelling. 

Not very prototypical but we are talking 1/75 scale here.

Keith

Keith, I attempted something like what you describe, but in the end, i settled for using the thread that I used to stich the sails, very flimsy thread, passed it through the sail with a long tail, passed it back through the sail in a slightly different place, then finally back through the original hole on the first pass. Tugged the "knot" tight and finally added a bit of diluted P.V.A. to keep the thread from backing out. After all reefing points were installed, I cut them to the same length. Using this method I didn't have over sized knots and because the thread is very flimsy, seemed to cooperate by hanging straight down and seems to somewhat replicate what I see in the images of 1845.

Daniel

Daniel,

At such small scales, your method sounds great, thanks for sharing.   I have been unable to find any information on the circumference of the reef points other that they are braided (not a good idea at our scales) but they had a length that is twice the circumference of the appropriate yard, and two per cloth, (thus about 12 inches apart.)   (David Lees' Masting and Rigging page 74)

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks for looking in, likes and comments everyone. Wow talk about a split weekend weather wise.... yesterday outside in lovely warm sunshine doing D.I.Y. , today started off dull cold and grey then high winds and torrential rain (still lashing down now), though workshop time resulted🙂.

On Terror we now have the sheets on the jib sail rigged though the tack still needs rigged, the small anchor each side of the stern are now mounted and before i install the bridge and azimuth compass and post i added some barrels alongside the bulwarks.

1585340877_Terror_jib_sail_sheets1.thumb.jpg.fb62e2edccdb9237ad890e12a1cf82e5.jpg

1966106450_Terror_stern_anchor1.jpg.fb3322d9be6de9902c61d52e99c1e432.jpg

1685296929_Terror_barrels1.jpg.2e51b696cadfdf59f353edc1fef89bd6.jpg

Take care all

Keith

Edited by clearway
missed info

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for looking in and the likes- always appreciated. Weather is very very how shall we say bonkers at the moment with beautiful warm sunny days followed by wind and rain - sometimes during the same day!

With Terror the point of no return regards the bridge and azimuth compass post which are now glued into position. Also the main braces are now belayed but still need the tails coiled- i suspect there might actually be an outrigger at the stern for the block which guides the brace to the sheeves in the bulwark to clear the anchor there, but can't find enough details. At the bow i now have the stay sail sheet rigged though like the jib sail still needs the tack rigged.

579579369_Terror_bridge_and_main_brace1.thumb.jpg.d075e35ebf5387ea841a43a293987ce9.jpg

268829193_Terror_stay_sail_sheet1.thumb.jpg.0fc3b204f06779462ef0b22aa360bff3.jpg

Take care all

Keith

22 hours ago, clearway said:

Also the main braces are now belayed but still need the tails coiled- i suspect there might actually be an outrigger at the stern for the block which guides the brace to the sheeves in the bulwark to clear the anchor there, but can't find enough details.

I've been spending a lot of time lately studying Biddlecombe's The Art of Rigging. He indicates that in this era there were bumpkins in the stern quarter that would serve this purpose: "Main Braces. The standing-part makes fast with a clinch round a bumpkin, projecting from each quarter; the leading-part reeves through the block at the yard-arm, and back through a block which is strapped to the bumpkin; then through the gunwale, and belays round a cleat inside" (83). The relevant portion of Plate X shows a hard-to-see bumpkin (which I've circled in red). The main braces are labeled #10, with the standing and running ends just above and below the number 10.

1060028263_ScreenShot2022-10-23at10_42_10AM.thumb.png.f3eaece070509cb1d844e5e4cd67bca6.png 

Although Biddlecombe's description isn't specifically about the Terror, it is from the edition published in 1848, so I would assume has some relevance. (I hope so, since I plan to rely on this source pretty heavily once I start the rigging!)

Thanks for the likes and comments and looking in everyone- this evening after a couple of days of pondering i unhooked the long suffering rigged/ unrigged main brace and made an outrigger from one of the brass eyes from the kit fittings with a piece of soft brass wire from my spares pile wrapped around it near the eye to form the two diagonal supports (one leading forward the other downwards.

39733030_Terror_main_brace_outrigger1.thumb.jpg.f1002a0f29f4094a4b4bc210635b4ced.jpg

will need a coat of varnish and then hopefully i can finally get the brace rigged!

Take care all.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes and looking in everyone- heavy rain and less daylight = shipyard time😉. Back with Terror and the main braces are finally rigged - that is it they are staying rigged this time! Also the tacks for the stay and jib sail are now rigged- just realised that is all the rigging finished bar any needed for the ships boats:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic.

Also made a start on the anchor chain- this is the caldercraft studded link chain mentioned right at start of log which was blackened chemically- still trying to decide whether to have anchor with stock in place or shipped and anchor stowed as per Mathews plans in his book🤔

1680102472_Terror_main_brace_with_outrigger1.thumb.jpg.3ddc8857e9ddb02d5369008450979599.jpg

1535129339_Terror_jib_tacks1.thumb.jpg.a3b4ecbbe656c930f9ea2d121287c22e.jpg

1129477331_Terror_anchor_chain1.thumb.jpg.25cf22a252af565d56782360b45c8e76.jpg

Take care all

Keith

P.S. guy fawkes night here in u.k. so sounds like battle of Trafalgar at the moment!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes and looking in everyone- wow what a glorious weekend weather wise- safe to say lots of outdoor D.I.Y. jobs crammed in while the temp was in the high teens centigrade so no shipyard time.

This evening with darkness starting around 4pm and drizzly rain its back indoors! The bower anchors are now in place though still need to fabricate the anchor release mechanism (see sketch)

1082402787_Terror_anchor_catted1.thumb.jpg.76e21fb383e61e64cb9ec957209e25b2.jpg

501117407_Terror_anchor_catted_21.jpg.784e8314be973c0cba3ad82eb76c5a69.jpg

Take care all

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes and looking in, not much happening in shipyard this week as i decided to get back to some 00 gauge wagon kits as a change of scene, however this evening i got the anchor release mechanisms in place (simplified as we are talking 1/75 scale here). They were shaped from some softened brass wire bent to shape, flattened and drilled.

1697351785_Terror_anchor_release_21.thumb.jpg.74146b171a52b1edb4a488299197d03d.jpg

Still can't believe this will be third christmas since i started Terror!

take care all

Keith

• 5 weeks later...

Happy New Year to all- flippin heck, third new year building Terror! Back in shipyard and made a start on the companionway ladders before i install the davit arms midships- going off plans looks they they were hinged on eyebolts situated on the shroud protector with the pins facing aft and hooks and eyes fitted at the bottom to hold them in place. Looks like they were removable, but where they were stored when not in use lord alone knows (storage racks midships/ on the shroud protector)?

I didn't use the kit supplied ladder but scratched one using walnut with the pins made from brass rod flattened where it is glued to steps. The hooks and eyes are made with annealed iron wire.

1726424515_Terror_steps_31.thumb.jpg.2d74eea5801fda1891ddf58d10dbacd9.jpg

398047249_Terror_steps_21.thumb.jpg.0b36f3c0ccf02643fe82ed79bf6cf4db.jpg

Take care all and hope you all had a good time.

Keith

33 minutes ago, clearway said:

where they were stored when not in use lord alone knows

Near the stove! :)

Keith, the ladder turned out awesome. Happy New Year to you. 

• 2 weeks later...

After nearly two solid weeks of heavy rain here in Cumbria and Dumfries and Galloway over the border i think i might fit davits and boats to the house! 

In the shipyard we have the first boat on the davits though not belayed yet- this is one of the Quaycraft resin models i ordered back in 2020 from Cornwall Model Boats. The falls rig through a hooked double block on the boat and two sheaves near the end of the davit arm.

1370155277_Terror_boat_stowed1.thumb.jpg.0abe4e7d230e5774a920c8027c790d55.jpg

709984947_Terror_boat_stowed_21.thumb.jpg.3cb0e95bf6f01a7ad4f08154eba54cbd.jpg

Take care all and thanks for the likes and looking in.

Keith

Keith, that looks fantastic! That resin ship's boat looks great, Cornwall is such a nice supplier. 

12 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Keith, that looks fantastic! That resin ship's boat looks great, Cornwall is such a nice supplier. 

Thanks Keith, there was also a company run by Nick Tonkin called "The Model Dockyard" who carried a good range and didn't mind you calling with advise on fittings etc- sadly retired last year though.

I have to admit though it was a nightmare having to rig up through the davit - if you varnish something after drilling make sure you clear the holes out properly!!!!

the wood effect was created by first priming with humbrol matt black from a rattle can, then a coat of matt desert yellow then then a wash of humbrol matt 26 khaki followed by wash for light wood from AK interactive followed by a couple of coats of matt acrylic varnish.

Keith