ENGLISH MAN O'WAR by Robert Taylor - FINISHED - Revell - 1:96

Nice work.

Congrats 👍👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Well done - excellent work, you have turned a plastic kit into a  display replica.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful work, Robert. I find it interesting that one of the flags included in the kit is that of the cinque ports https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinque_Ports - I know she's not based on a "real" ship, but it's nice that the kitmakers have added a little detail which gives some indication of her port of origin.

image.jpeg.6da38623d00d3942a518efb968beb443.jpeg

Hey Robert I got a question for you. I am starting my Man O War and I am curious of your process. In your pictures it looks as if you did a little of the hull painting before you glued the two halves together with the deck. Then after you put it together you continued and finished the remainder of the hull painting. Is that correct?  I have all my pieces primed and will start the delicate painting. I am going to weather the deck first so it is ready to insert in the hull halves when it is time. 

069C0EBB-FBA8-45B6-81FD-C4FB2B0BD1CF.jpeg

1E2001EB-C707-4F21-AB24-EAD58CD219E9.jpeg

On 9/26/2020 at 2:52 PM, Bill97 said:

Hey Robert I got a question for you. I am starting my Man O War and I am curious of your process. In your pictures it looks as if you did a little of the hull painting before you glued the two halves together with the deck. Then after you put it together you continued and finished the remainder of the hull painting. Is that correct?  I have all my pieces primed and will start the delicate painting. I am going to weather the deck first so it is ready to insert in the hull halves when it is time. 

069C0EBB-FBA8-45B6-81FD-C4FB2B0BD1CF.jpeg

1E2001EB-C707-4F21-AB24-EAD58CD219E9.jpeg

Hi Bill 

More or less correct, I usually paint all my parts first, Hulls and on sprues, before any assembly, anything after this is just little touch ups if needed.

I think it's better to do this with Galleons as there are usually a lot of intricate painting to be done which isn't very feasible if the assembly has already been done or at least it makes it harder to do imho.

Hope this helps Bill mate 

On 9/23/2020 at 12:55 AM, Louie da fly said:

Beautiful work, Robert. I find it interesting that one of the flags included in the kit is that of the cinque ports https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinque_Ports - I know she's not based on a "real" ship, but it's nice that the kitmakers have added a little detail which gives some indication of her port of origin.

image.jpeg.6da38623d00d3942a518efb968beb443.jpeg

Hi Louie

You are correct  in that case, this particular flag being the "Lord Warden of Cinque Ports" 

I bought my Cloth Flags after sails from HISmodel as they look so much better than paper ones, just a shame you can't  get Cloth flags for every kit out there.

Best wishes 

Robert.

20200930_092924.jpg

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon Robert. Just letting you know I am referring to your build here a lot as I progress with my Man O War. My color scheme is a bit different but the actual build is obviously the same. I refer to your photos any time I am curious about something. Is very helpful. Just today when I was dry fitting my mast I noticed the foremast slanted toward the front. Definitely not verticals!  This concerned me and I wondered if somehow I had the holes lined up wrong. Sure enough I checked your’s and that is how the foremast is. 

Bill

C015C672-16B6-4DA8-843C-1A5859ECD1CF.jpeg

AA523199-DB53-4545-A180-F5F7584B5A46.jpeg

F350525C-BEB8-4C64-9C3F-1FA907620637.jpeg

5E9B29C1-D218-4184-BCF5-667DC1A38A6A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Good afternoon Robert. Just letting you know I am referring to your build here a lot as I progress with my Man O War. My color scheme is a bit different but the actual build is obviously the same. I refer to your photos any time I am curious about something. Is very helpful. Just today when I was dry fitting my mast I noticed the foremast slanted toward the front. Definitely not verticals!  This concerned me and I wondered if somehow I had the holes lined up wrong. Sure enough I checked your’s and that is how the foremast is. 

Bill

C015C672-16B6-4DA8-843C-1A5859ECD1CF.jpeg

AA523199-DB53-4545-A180-F5F7584B5A46.jpeg

F350525C-BEB8-4C64-9C3F-1FA907620637.jpeg

5E9B29C1-D218-4184-BCF5-667DC1A38A6A.jpeg

Good afternoon Bill, Yes that is correct my friend, same can be slightly said for the main mast too, however the Mizzen and Bonaventure masts slant in the opposite direction, I was concerned about these too when building the kit, but I think it's to do with the rigging and obviously the height of the quarter deck and balance of the ship, in the end it all looks finished ok.

I see you have more or less went with paintwork within the instructions, looking good my friend.

Here is a link to a website that may help explain why boat or ship masts are slanted forward or aft:

https://www.woodenboat.com/whiskey_plank/why-mast-rake

So you may see it on other models as well.

Yes Robert I ended up going with colors similar to the instructions. Tried other ideas but don’t have as good a knack for picking colors as you did. I am glad you responded because right off the bat I got a question for you. Looking at my instructions and your photos I am trying to understand exactly what needs to be done here. Are the threads 1 thru 5 individual lines to obviously be used later or are the same thread tied at both ends to the bow sprit?  Number 5 looks like it is a continuation of number 3 for example. 

75AC146D-551A-443C-8EC4-EB6671403CE5.jpeg

8 hours ago, Robert Taylor said:

Yes that is correct my friend, same can be slightly said for the main mast too, however the Mizzen and Bonaventure masts slant in the opposite direction, I was concerned about these too when building the kit, but I think it's to do with the rigging and obviously the height of the quarter deck and balance of the ship, in the end it all looks finished ok.

Yes, if you look at contemporary pictures of galleons, generally the foremast is raked forward and the mizzen(s) is raked aft (though on this example though bonaventure mizzen is raked aft the mizzen seems to be raked forward for some reason) . So the model is correct.

1818677770_GuillaumeBrousconLeConquet1545a.jpg.af2b090bf246d453efab0486a6cc046d.jpg

9 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Yes Robert I ended up going with colors similar to the instructions. Tried other ideas but don’t have as good a knack for picking colors as you did. I am glad you responded because right off the bat I got a question for you. Looking at my instructions and your photos I am trying to understand exactly what needs to be done here. Are the threads 1 thru 5 individual lines to obviously be used later or are the same thread tied at both ends to the bow sprit?  Number 5 looks like it is a continuation of number 3 for example. 

75AC146D-551A-443C-8EC4-EB6671403CE5.jpeg

Hi Bill, 

First of all 1,2&3 threads are a continuation to be rigged through a triple hole block and tied back into the bowsprit. No4, is the same thread through a block making a triangular shape again tied bk onto the bowsprit. No5 thread is attached to the other end of the block in No4 and will eventually be rigged to the 2nd crows nest on the foremast and has nothing to do with Nos1,2 or3.

Btw, there are another 2 triple holed blocks to get rigged the same way for the fore and main mast standing rigging.

Have gave you the 2 photos to see work in progress and finished example.

20200709_141636.jpg

20201101_051650.jpg

Edited by Robert Taylor

Thanks Robert. That is what I was thinking but the instructions do not show the the triple hole block being used. It seems early in the building process to add these threads now. Seems they will continually get in the way. Did you tie them at this point or wait till later when doing the rigging?

Hey Robert I could have posted this on your Golden Hind build but thought you might see my question here first. What model (brand, scale, etc) is your Golden Hind?  After working on the Man O War, and loving it, and seeing your Golden Hind pictures, I am thinking of adding it to my future. I see 1/72 scale by Airfix online that looks similiar to yours. It is surprising it only has 109 pieces. Your’s looks more detailed/complicated than that. 

Thanks again Jeff T and Louie about the racked mast. I doubled checked all my construction to insure all pieces are lined up exactly as directed. Then dry fitted the mast in the holes. Wow! The mizzenmast seems really racked to the aft, but I guess that it is correct. The bend in the bottom of the mast even accentuates it more. My first gallion build and I am so used to having the mast vertical on the Cutty Sark and USS Constitution. 

2507EA71-B463-4082-B9A7-96924F5D484B.jpeg

No, that can'tbe correct. 

The mast should have and angle somewhere between the rake of the aft mast, and the main mast.i The masts are kind of fanning out: the forward mast vertical, or slightly raking forward, the main mast vertical or slightly backward, the mizzen masts raking aft, the rake increasing from main mast to aft mast.

IMG_1024.thumb.JPG.39d2794b5988c8ffd05201c88108bb06.JPG

Jan

Edited by amateur

On 11/3/2020 at 2:00 PM, Bill97 said:

Hey Robert I could have posted this on your Golden Hind build but thought you might see my question here first. What model (brand, scale, etc) is your Golden Hind?  After working on the Man O War, and loving it, and seeing your Golden Hind pictures, I am thinking of adding it to my future. I see 1/72 scale by Airfix online that looks similiar to yours. It is surprising it only has 109 pieces. Your’s looks more detailed/complicated than that. 

Hi Bill, Yes mines is the Airfix 1:72 scale, but the Special edition so I dont know if it had more parts in it or not? 

14 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Thanks again Jeff T and Louie about the racked mast. I doubled checked all my construction to insure all pieces are lined up exactly as directed. Then dry fitted the mast in the holes. Wow! The mizzenmast seems really racked to the aft, but I guess that it is correct. The bend in the bottom of the mast even accentuates it more. My first gallion build and I am so used to having the mast vertical on the Cutty Sark and USS Constitution. 

2507EA71-B463-4082-B9A7-96924F5D484B.jpeg

On the question  of your Mizzen mast, I think that's is leaning too far backwards mate, does lean backwards but not as much as that, I remember I had a slight problem installing this through the upper deck and into the hole in the deck below that you can't see, a little perseverance and I got it aligned ok, just make sure yours is allingned right mate.

20201105_093344.jpg