Is it ok to Ask Questions on my Build Log?

I have never built a model of anything before but I started my first build log for my first ship (Triton). As I go along, I may have questions regarding my build and I wonder if I should place these questions in my log or in another appropriate section on this forum.

My impression is that a build log should be on how you build a ship and not to ask questions.

Thanks

Nicolas

Always feel free to ask questions! Asking them inside a build log is perfectly fine, particularly if you have people following it.

Occasionally, you may need to go outside of your build log, as sometimes, it's hard to find answer from just those who follow your build.

Good luck with your first build!

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Nicolas, many of us have done the Triton keep an eye on the logs.   Maybe not everyday though.   If it's something not specific to the Triton such as glue, woods, etc. as them in the appropriate place on the other sub-forums.

I'll say this as I've said it before... there's no such thing as a dumb question.  If you have questions, you need answers.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I understand, and I thank you both

Regarding the logs, I have made a copy of the Triton full frame logs from Daniel, Charter33 and SaturnV and I study them every day to understand the process. All 3 logs are wonderful and well explained and my thanks to all 3 who spent the time to document their experience. Without these logs I would have been unable to even start thinking of building a ship.

I have also copied the log from Dan Vadas who built the HMS Vulture. Although this log is not related to Triton, I found Dan has gone way out of his way to provide details and terminology of everything he did and I find his log most helpful and I thank him too.

My main problem so far is the terminology used which is like learning a new language but I’m getting there....at least now I know where the bow and the stern of a ship is, LOL

Nicolas

11 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

Ah, you mean the sharp end and the blunt end

No Steven, the PROPER terminology is the pointy end and the fat end!:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Steven and Lou, what on earth …. what parts of the ship are you talking about?
Are those the new definitions?
😉

@Oskar24, Trust me - you will have questions all through out the build, better to ask than to be sorry. And that's why we are here and having this forum, to help each other.

Btw, a warm :722972270:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Yes, Oskar24, disregard our lame attempts at humour. Maritime terminology is a whole new world and it takes a while to get your head around it, but bit by bit it does come. There are quite a few good dictionaries of maritime terms online - I rather like this one - https://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199336005.001.0001/oxfordhb-9780199336005-e-48 - but of course (particularly when you're just starting out) you will look up a word and the definition contains new words you also have to look up. But persevere, it does get easier.

And ask as many questions as you want. The people here are very helpful and will often give you better ways of doing something that save you a lot of time and trouble.

Steven

Thank you all guys and now with your help my vocabulary has increased by a few more words....lol

The link for the maritime terms dictionary is very helpful and I have the following link which could be useful to other newbies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_nautical_terms#Abaft

all is much appreciated

Nicolas

4 minutes ago, RussR said:

If asking questions was against the rules, I would have been band a long time ago. 🙂

I think the majority of us would have been banned. A very much self-destructive way to run a website. 😁

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

15 hours ago, Oskar24 said:

My main problem so far is the terminology used which is like learning a new language but I’m getting there....at least now I know where the bow and the stern of a ship is, LOL

There's a lot of on line places.  I  use some myself for translation many times.  The ones suggested are pretty good. And I'll add one more:  http://southseas.nla.gov.au/refs/falc/contents.html  This is Falconers' Dictionary of the Marine. 

If you'd prefer to have a hard copy, look for a used copy (or new) of Wolfram zu Mondfeld's Historic Ship Models.   I find it very handy to have in shop when I don't feel like firing up the computer.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The Falconer’s dictionary link looks pretty good Mark, thanks

I must agree that a hard copy dictionary is very convenient and much easier to use. I found the zu Mondfeld's Historic Ship Models in paperback for CAD$66.48 shipping included and I order it ( comes from Ontario).

Much appreciated

Nicolas