US Constellation 1798 by Jack12477 - Artesania Latina - 1:85

Nice and easy, brother. You and family first.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Good to see you back, Jack.   You're not alone in the doldrums... I suspect more than a few of us have it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hope things are still going in the right direction for you Jack and you continue to get better. It doesn't sound like it has been a really fun month for you.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just found this  - Wow  that Ice machine looks amazing  - never seen anything like that before.

Hope you continue on a speedy recovery Jack.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Well, I finally got all the medical drains removed this week. Just one small bandage over the hole where the J-P drain was. That should close on its own by tomorrow. Still on the nothing over 10 lb weight limit for lifting for another week, then nothing over  20 lbs for an additional two weeks, then all activities can resume. Been putzing around the model a bit but still no ambition to dive back in. And this Covid isolation is starting to wear thin, even tho in our area the infection rate is less than 1.5% and holding.

I ordered some sample exotic woods from Woodcraft.com, should be here today, to see how they would look as the backbone and runner plank for another ice yacht model. Woods are all 1/4 × 3/4 × 16 and 1/4 × 1 1/2 × 16 inches and are Purpleheart, Bloodwood, Bubinga, and Paduak.  

The two ice yacht models I have in mind are the Manhasset, which we just restored, and Franklin D Roosevelt's, FDR,  latteen rigged Hawk.  Unfortunately, the Hawk is locked away in a National Park Service  climate controlled storage area and is only brought out for display every couple of years.  I did get some rough measurements and lots of photos the last time it was on display (our club helped them set up the yacht for display), so I am hoping that will be enough.  Manhassett I have all the measurements and photos from the restoration. But first I have to at least get the hull of the Constellation planked before I can start that project.

But first I have to get rid of this post op malaise; been taking a lot of walks around the neighborhood each day, so that helps.  Getting old sucks !   

Your post sounds like something I would write right now Jack! Even though I don't  think my situation is as serious as yours. Keep up the good work and try and keep the spirits high. (Or down enough spirits to act as a counter!:P  Something that is apparently a NoNo when they put a pacemaker in you. :()

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Some very interesting woods, Jack. Looking forward to that build.

Hope your spirits improve wrt to returning to the modeling. Stay away from Lou's. ;):D

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

I think hip replacement and a pacemaker is tad more serious than a ventral hernia repair. The only thing that complicated mine was I developed an Ileus from the general anesthesia which kept me hospitalized for 5 days instead of overnight.  

I will have to take your word for it Jack. It SOUNDS like yours was worse! Other than tiredness, pain, (That the meds handle pretty well, and I'm kind of used to anyway) and limited movement, my stuff seems to have gone pretty well. Much better than constipation, vomiting, cramps, and who know what.

After the hip replacement they kicked me out the next day, did the same after the pacemaker even though I was in full AFIB for a full seven hours after the surgery. Everyone was telling me that they would have to keep me an extra day except the doctors. They said "Kick him out" less than 24 hours after the surgery. 

I kind of got a giggle out of my follow-up Orthopedic visit a couple of days ago. I had a kind of laundry list of things to cover that to me were not going as fast as they indicated they surly should before the surgery. Going by what they said I almost expected that I would be climbing alpine mountains on a daily basis by now. She kept coming back with the comment that it can take upward of a year for full recovery and besides I have pre-existing back issues to take into account! But of course this is AFTER they have sent their bill to the insurance company! :ph34r:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

5 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Well, I finally got all the medical drains removed this week. Just one small bandage over the hole where the J-P drain was. That should close on its own by tomorrow. Still on the nothing over 10 lb weight limit for lifting for another week, then nothing over  20 lbs for an additional two weeks, then all activities can resume. Been putzing around the model a bit but still no ambition to dive back in. And this Covid isolation is starting to wear thin, even tho in our area the infection rate is less than 1.5% and holding.

I ordered some sample exotic woods from Woodcraft.com, should be here today, to see how they would look as the backbone and runner plank for another ice yacht model. Woods are all 1/4 × 3/4 × 16 and 1/4 × 1 1/2 × 16 inches and are Purpleheart, Bloodwood, Bubinga, and Paduak.  

The two ice yacht models I have in mind are the Manhasset, which we just restored, and Franklin D Roosevelt's, FDR,  latteen rigged Hawk.  Unfortunately, the Hawk is locked away in a National Park Service  climate controlled storage area and is only brought out for display every couple of years.  I did get some rough measurements and lots of photos the last time it was on display (our club helped them set up the yacht for display), so I am hoping that will be enough.  Manhassett I have all the measurements and photos from the restoration. But first I have to at least get the hull of the Constellation planked before I can start that project.

But first I have to get rid of this post op malaise; been taking a lot of walks around the neighborhood each day, so that helps.  Getting old sucks !   

I will look forward to those logs Jack.

Those woods should look spectacular with a gloss varnish like the full size Manhassett

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Jack,

Take care of you first.  As for the model, when you're ready or have questions about the bits and pieces, post them.   I'm looking forward to seeing logs on the ice boats.  The timber choices sound promising.

As for the blahs... I feel it also.  Just end up sitting and staring at the model.  I know what has to be done but bleeack.   Not pulling it together.

I think when this virus thing is all over, we all need to a couple weeks and go somewhere exotic and sunny with a nice beach and strong drink.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys for the support! 

BTW woke up this morning to SNOW.  Yep ! It is snowing in October here in the valley.  😀😀😀  And the lawn is covered in wet leaves, been raining here all week. 

HE's BACK !!!!!  Well, sort of back !

Finally figured out how to make part #36 from the non-existent 25 mm x 500 mm sheet .  Fabricated some pieces and glued them in place. Started the first 2 top most planks port and starboard.  Build a jig to allow me to bend the planks into the curvature of the stern.  Easiest way is to soak, bend around jig, clamp and wait for them to dry, then install on model fastening with small nails until glue dries.

Photos follow:

IMG_8672.JPG.dd7fa0b64b4a23f84c704f15b0b0b8f7.JPGIMG_8674.JPG.1202d6a9107a3adb862b2fbd71ee1440.JPGIMG_8675.JPG.8a327f607a120c91fa1922e6706bd25a.JPG

Plank bending jig and water trough

IMG_8676.JPG.fd799ff67f1399967965c8d1bdf37c00.JPGIMG_8677.JPG.efbf95139c71f6b7903afbad5ce959ae.JPG

IMG_8678.JPG.ca09f5532052d94666c8e018b20c571f.JPG

Edited by Jack12477

Good to see you getting to make some progress Jack

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Nice to see you back at it, Jack.

How long a soak?

Ken

Depends on my attention span 😉   usually 20-30 minutes soaking then into the clamps . Clamps can be overnight if I get distracted. 

I will say one thing! This rounded stern is a bear to plank and get all the compound curves right without breaking the planks in the process. Even tho I am using water and heat to bend them. 

Edited by Jack12477

Good to see you back at the bench Jack, I tend to make sure anything I clamp wether for shaping or  gluing gets left overnight. (Just to be sure one understands😉)

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

My problem is not the curve of the stern, it is the "twist" to make it lay flat in the other plane. That's where it breaks usually.  Yes, clamped in the jig is usually 8 hrs after soaking it.  

And, yes, I have Chuck's excellent tutorial on planking right on the workbench for reference.  😉😉

Edited by Jack12477

Have you tried twisting with a hair dryer after you've put the radial curve on it ? Just a thought. 

Current builds;

Completed:

Jack... here's what I did, if I remember right....  Do the stern bend with a short plank.  They you can do the long one down the side.  If you're using the factory quarter galleries, measure a bit so the join between the two planks is hidden behind the gallery.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks, Mark !  I've started using shorter planks. The bow curve is easy for now, might get harder when I get closer to the keel. 

Small update:  Making some progress on the planking.  Stern is still causing issues but the bow and midsection are coming along okay.

IMG_8684.JPG.fe1eff5dc88631b3168c381674815871.JPG

IMG_8682.JPG.cc7f7e8a39efb185869d1beb4843499b.JPGIMG_8679.JPG.291e67fc96684d0c78e918c0cb17a775.JPG

IMG_8680.JPG.b887386e016ce3c5022094537de1b2cf.JPGIMG_8681.JPG.a0627cf1545fd9c9214eb2391bf1c583.JPGIMG_8683.JPG.6ce15691b849d061214b24911b1822c9.JPG

Great progress Jack, the stern always causes me problems, but sandpaper usually sorts things out 😁

Current builds;

Completed:

8 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Thankfully this is 1st planking

By the time you have it all done you will have it figured out how it is done and the the second planking with the much thinner strips will be much easier. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey