US Constellation 1798 by Jack12477 - Artesania Latina - 1:85

Yea, Lou, I've been seeing the weather news about the "atmospheric river" pummeling you guys. They say it is moving cross country toward us east coasters. Tonight's News is forecasting a potential northeastern hitting us Monday / Tuesday.   Too much snow on ice will wreck our sailing.  

7 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

lived

So she could only take it for seven years?:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

14 minutes ago, lmagna said:

So she could only take it for seven years?:D

No, hubby and she both got job transfers which gave her the opportunity to get her Doctorate degree. 

Moving along with the bending of the fore and aft bulwark.  I immersed the wood in water for about 15 minutes, then using a heat gun I borrowed from my son, using the lowest heat setting I slowly bent the piece around a form, clamped in place overnight, then temporarily clamped to model applying a bit more heat to get it to fit better. I will let it sit for a day or two to let the wood dry then will glue to model.

20210130_172526.thumb.jpg.18344dc96ac0dba4cc8120f7a939505f.jpg20210130_172537.thumb.jpg.5c5d177fcecae401fbc67faa1279800e.jpg Don't have enough clamps or fingers ! 

Edited by Jack12477

Well, definitely cold here 5 F (-15 C) this morning at 0630, up north in Adirondack Mtns -17 F (-27 C). "Monster" snow storm (nor'easter) heading up coast, snow arrives tonight continues thru Wednesday morning, 12+ inches of snow forecast for my area.  Snowblower gassed up and ready to rock n roll, larder well stocked, kegs tapped.  Plenty of hot cocoa mix.  🙂🙃😉😁🥶

Reading that  post  makes me realise that British weather is pretty much non league stuff  compared😂, stay warm and safe Jack 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

If memory serves the Gulf Stream terminates near England keeping your weather milder but maybe a tad  wetter and foggier.  😃

We have a contest here in NY called the Golden Snowball Award between 5 NY cities with populations over 100,000, namely,  Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton and Albany to see who gets the most snow between November 1st and May 1st.  Syracuse usually wins, but Buffalo and Rochester dominate also.  This season, thanks to a previous nor'easter dumping 4 ft of snow on them, Binghamton is leading with Buffalo right behind them.  Of course, the Grand Daddy of all NY is the Tug Hill Plateau area at the eastern end of Lake Ontario, record snowfall for one season was 499 inches (126 meters??).  

Lowest temperature  −52 °F (−46.7 °C)   February 18, 1979     Old Forge     Herkimer County NY

Lowest temperature   −52 °F (−46.7 °C)   February 9, 1934       Stillwater Reservoir  Herkimer County 

Edited by Jack12477

126 metres!! Most of the hills we have would disappear beneath that much😄

Yes we tend to get much rain but I've noticed we've been getting heavier,  longer rainfall for the past few years, coupled with milder winters

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

8 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

British weather is pretty much non league stuff  compared😂

Same here in the PNW.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Same here in the PNW.

Yea, but you guys get those 150 mph winds, forest fires, torrential rains, all coming in off the Pacific. And we won't even mention those mountain passes, will we!!! 😄😄😄  Our east coast nightly news always has some piece about PNW weather / storms. 

In fact this nor'easter we are about to get is a " gift" from out west. 

Edited by Jack12477

11 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

499 inches (126 meters??). 

11 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

126 metres!! Most of the hills we have would disappear beneath that much😄

Yes we tend to get much rain but I've noticed we've been getting heavier,  longer rainfall for the past few years, coupled with milder winters

Actually I think Jack had a typo and meant 12.6 meters.  When you are shoveling it seems to be 126 m!!!

Tom

30 minutes ago, toms10 said:

Actually I think Jack had a typo and meant 12.6 meters.  When you are shoveling it seems to be 126 m!!!

Tom

Oh yea ! It's 2.54 cm per inch not 25.4 (mm) .   Metric was never my strong suit. Surprised nobody in Metric- land caught it.      Thanks, Tom ! 😉

3 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

It was much more behaved when it was out here but when it realized it was having to go your way it got a little mad. It's had almost a week of holding it in.:unsure:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

25 minutes ago, lmagna said:

was much more behaved when it was out here

Gee ! I heard it took out a whole section of US 1 in Central California before departing 😟 I mean Grand Canyon style cleavage of the highway.  

28 minutes ago, lmagna said:

It's had almost a week

of saying "are we there yet? " 🤭

6 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Gee ! I heard it took out a whole section of US 1 in Central California before departing

Have you never driven highway 1 in California? It's a slice out of the cliff over the ocean, constantly exposed to the sea and weather on the western side. Having a section fall away into the sea is pretty much a matter of when not if! But yes, even though a storm like that is not really all that uncommon here in Washington, they have not had to deal with that much rain at once in California for years. At least in San Francisco. Heavy rain with mudslides are almost seasonal in Los Angles. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

22 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Yea, but you guys get those 150 mph winds, forest fires, torrential rains, all coming in off the Pacific. And we won't even mention those mountain passes, will we!!! 😄😄😄  Our east coast nightly news always has some piece about PNW weather / storms. 

We, in the PNW, hope you enjoy your gift.    I've not done the Big Sur area since I was in CA in the late '60's, but it's is a bit freaky when you stop and look and realize the ocean is under you.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Have not driven US 1 in California but I have taken a few white knuckle drives over the Colorado Rockies,  e.g., Loveland Pass, "million dollar highway" from Ouray to Durango,  and Rocky Mountain National Park.  No guard rails on those roads. 

11 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Have not driven US 1 in California but I have taken a few white knuckle drives over the Colorado Rockies,  e.g., Loveland Pass, "million dollar highway" from Ouray to Durango,  and Rocky Mountain National Park.  No guard rails on those roads. 

I remember the Loveland Pass white knuckle drive.  There's lots of them out here.  There's one I've taken from Sacramento to Tahoe like that also.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The Ouray to Silverton leg is over an 11,000 ft pass, then downhill into Silverton, back up another 10,000 ft something pass, then downhill into Durango,  total distance is 100 miles but takes about 4 hours to drive.  Then there is Wolf Creek Pass coming into Durango from East.  My Admiral was almost catatonic, looking out the passenger window, no shoulder, no guard rail, just straight down 2,000-3,000 ft maybe more. 

Edited by Jack12477

Finally, after much pushing, pulling heating, clamping I got the bulwark installed, then I had to use the heat gun to mold them to the fore and aft deck curvature. 

20210202_142005.thumb.jpg.63473754378b0dd52dc75295f61c8624.jpg20210202_141955.thumb.jpg.2acfcdc07500823658530505ab4c8ea9.jpg20210202_142030.thumb.jpg.531f4e475f86b53c1335b5c073621c22.jpg 

Came out looking pretty clean Jack, congratulations.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Came out looking pretty clean Jack, congratulations.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Nice job Jack.  I remember when I did mine it was a real nightmare to get everything bent and fit.

Tom

@toms10 When you did yours, did you cut the gun ports in before or after you did the 2nd planking with the Clear and Walnut veneer planking ?  Right now the decks are just tacked down with 4-5 nails just to hold them in place. Next step calls for adding 5 rows of Clear below the bulwark then continuing to keel with the Walnut. 

Hi Jack

I cut the gun ports before the final planking.  I then brought the planking up to the edges of the gun port linings. I then framed each gun port on top of the planking. 

Tom 

Looking good, Jack.  Well done on that monster stern piece.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: