Good morning from Iowa, USA.

Hey all, I have an old decorative galleon (I think it is "inspired" by a galleon, proportions seem a like wonky) that my parents are handing down to me for my first house. It's in pretty rough shape and I have very little modeling experience outside of the occasional 1/35 car kits.

From my perspective, this looks like one heck of a project; the sails are brittle and covered in grime, the paint is wearing thin, and a few of the masts appear to just hang there. If I could restore it to just half of its former glory I may become addicted. My questions are: What exactly is this thing? Is it feasible to restore it myself? And if so where should I start?

Thanks in advance, I've always loved motorboats and sailing and I feel myself slipping into a new obsession.

AFD2F1BB-C0BB-418A-A5C4-D36CB1202F76.jpeg

F77C5679-0A03-4162-8C81-9DC4C9E452BB.jpeg

Hello, ClapTrap.

Well, the place to start is actually here, but since you've already framed the question, we'll have a go at it. Your ship is what we call a decor model, and you're right -- it only bears the vaguest resemblance to an actual galleon. As a model, it has essentially zero value, but as an heirloom it might at least have some sentimental value. Restoring it would entail removing the excess grime and reattaching the loose masting and rigging. Since the rig doesn't follow any actual practice, the best way to figure out what goes where is to examine the bits that are still attached -- the loose bits were probably attached in much the same way. And since it's not really a model but rather an artistic impression of a galleon, you can't do too much harm to it if you don't get the rigging done exactly the same as when the item was new.

If you do, in fact, end up slipping into a new obsession, have a look around the forum at what first-time builders are working on. This is a great and potentially very rewarding hobby if you get off to the right start.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

ClapTrap,

First a warm welcome to MSW. 

See this galleon as a "cold case", you are the investigator. It will take time, but you will find the joy of restoring an heirloom to put on the mantel (if you have one).

And yes, there's a danger to this..... addiction!

Addiction to ship modeling.

I wish you all the best and set up a log, I will follow you along.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome to Model Ship World ClapTrap.  That is definitely an old decorative piece of art.  It looks like a fun project to clean this up.  Good luck on this and have a look at the many build logs on this site.  There are many newly released kits designed for modelers getting into this hobby. Maybe we will see you with one.  Just start a build log so that we may follow your progress.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

We do have topics for "Restoration" in the scratch area.  There is one going on for an old galleon.  The easiest way to find them, is go to the Scratch Area and in the search function (upper right hand side) use the keyword "Restoration".  Before hitting the search, re-click on the word and change the settings to "this forum" and "content titles only".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 minutes ago, Charles Green said:

I'm in Idaho now but I grew up in Sioux City.  Believe it or not, I miss the flat land.

Where in Idaho?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

:sign:

And enjoy the restoration of this model.

Maybe you discover a new hobby, building model boats.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

As someone already addicted (and currently doing a restoration of a ship I made when I was a teenager) , every time I see one of these I think to myself "A bit of cleaning, some repair - that could look pretty damn good". I find restoring a model very rewarding -changing it from something dirty and damaged to something worthwhile.

Start a buildlog and show us what you're doing - it'll give other members the opportunity to give help,advice and guidance on your journey of restoration.

If after you've finished you find yourself addicted - well you're not alone :D 

Welcome! Looks like a nice little project there. Definitely as Mark says above, look into the “restoration“ build logs here on the site as they do have a lot of great information