Battle of Waterloo Attack on La Haye Sainte Farm 1/56 28mm

3 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Indeed Edward,   between  the Two obstructions  I think it  decided the battle  on the allies  side  - not foregetting the Brilliant squares aswel.

OC.

Yes indeed,  Wellington chose the battlefield well, but it was touch and go for a while, especially with the charge of the British heavy cavalry which could have been a total disaster, but Blucher and his Prussian  army kept his promise and turned the tide in the last couple of hours or so.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

6 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I was thinking about the scale of the battle  (I thought my little dio is going to be big enough at  36 X 20Inches)   imagine if I could have built the whole battle field in 28mm  ............I would need about  100feet  square I  would think.

OC.

Oh man, that would be one hell of a dio, I've seen one in 6mm and 15mm but as you say you'd need a fair space at 28mm. I think the actual battlefield was about 4 or 5 square miles in area, though without looking it up ,I can't be certain 

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

14 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Oh man, that would be one hell of a dio, I've seen one in 6mm and 15mm but as you say you'd need a fair space at 28mm. I think the actual battlefield was about 4 or 5 square miles in area, though without looking it up ,I can't be certain 

Just loooked on a  battle plan and it shows the battle area as   3 miles across  and   2 miles  deep     converting that into  28mm   I think is  something like  -  565 Feet   x   377 Feet  For a Dio of the whole battlefield.      that is Massive.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

That is huge, the Royal Greenjackets Museum has a 25sq metre dio, with over 30,000 men, gun and cavalry. image.png.299148177a6035bb559ee35058d5a112.png

This is 1:72 scale

Current builds;

Completed:

19 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

That is huge, the Royal Greenjackets Museum has a 25sq metre dio, with over 30,000 men, gun and cavalry. image.png.299148177a6035bb559ee35058d5a112.png

Amazing find   you would need  either one of those camera drones or a camera on a long stick to get close up pics of that.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

That's about 4 football fields. Holy cow!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 1/30/2021 at 6:21 PM, Edwardkenway said:

that would be one hell of a dio

Folks might be interested in this book: Wellington's Smallest Victory : The Duke, the Model Maker and the Secret of Waterloo

It can be had cheap used and speaks to the desire to ‘do the whole of it’!

Edited by EricWilliamMarshall

7 hours ago, EricWilliamMarshall said:

Folks might be interested in this book: Wellington's Smallest Victory : The Duke, the Model Maker and the Secret of Waterloo

It can be had cheap used and speaks to the desire to ‘do the whole of it’!

Thank you Eric.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 31-1-2021 at 12:51 AM, Edwardkenway said:

30000 men gun and cavalry on 1/72 scale...

I'm jealous 😉

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2 hours ago, Backer said:

30000 men gun and cavalry on 1/72 scale...

I'm jealous 😉

That's probably a lifetime or two maybe three project.  Incredible.

Some years ago, there was TV show here in the States that did the Battle of Gettysburg using miniatures.  Took them a year to film it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

14 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Some years ago, there was TV show here in the States that did the Battle of Gettysburg using miniatures.  Took them a year to film it.

Some 40 + years ago there was a tv show on Saturday morning in England that refought famous battles in miniature, the ones I remember best were, 1st Bull Run, Waterloo and Trafalgar. The tables must have been 10' × 20' and the miniatures were always fantastic, basically it's what got an eight year old boy into proper wargaming instead of setting up knocking down games.

Mark do you happen to know the name of the show? I'd love to see it.

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

32 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

No I don't.  It was maybe 30 years ago when I lived in Missouri.  If I comes back to me, I'll let you know.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

44 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

11 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

No I don't.  It was maybe 30 years ago when I lived in Missouri.  If I comes back to me, I'll let you know.

Well while yuse guys are giving the synapses a workout, you may want to check out Little Wars TV

Here's an example of what they produce....

It is aimed at the wargamer of course.... but their model recreations are excellent....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

That video  looks excellent  and that chap almost on the verge of reinactmant vs wargamer.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Also  I came across  this little  gem  -   Sharps very own  discussing  Warerloo, have yet to watch the whole thing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I found the British TV show bg1.thumb.jpg.fb7716d181f5be465ed05a2a1fc1c3fc.jpg

Called Battleground and hosted by Edward Woodward. 

I got two of the battles wrong, they were Gettysburg and Battle of the Nile, not Bull Run and Trafalgar. I also took some years off me as I was 13 not 8🙄 that's what happens when you try to recall events from 43yrs ago

They did six episodes and they are on YouTube 

Current builds;

Completed:

Thank you for finding that Edward,    think I remember it  - probably as a kid  wishing I could paint Airfix figures like that.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Here's the playlist if your looking for what's available....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

7 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Here's the playlist if your looking for what's available....

Thank you brother   - excellent find.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

These are contermpory  drawings from the time  showing the Grey slate roofs  and a good amount of  damaged  Whitewash  coming off the walls  showing the Brickworks.

OC.

deeece3c398a5071942b54ca28abdfb4.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

12 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

These are contermpory  drawings from the time  showing the Grey slate roofs

Well the timbering and lengthwise beams would be the same, but they would nail or peg the slate tiles to the roof, I would surmise that the damage would be represented by a hole surrounded by missing and broken slate tiles, the slate being a dark bluish grey wouldn't show a lot of smoke damage.... I would tile the roof using plates of a suitable material and paint a black spot on the MDF underneath to represent the hole. you probably wouldn't see the timbering cause the timbers would fracture out from underneath the plates leaving nothing but the jagged slate edges.....

I'll do some research.....

Quote:

5 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Well the timbering and lengthwise beams would be the same, but they would nail or peg the slate tiles to the roof, I would surmise that the damage would be represented by a hole surrounded by missing and broken slate tiles, the slate being a dark bluish grey wouldn't show a lot of smoke damage.... I would tile the roof using plates of a suitable material and paint a black spot on the MDF underneath to represent the hole. you probably wouldn't see the timbering cause the timbers would fracture out from underneath the plates leaving nothing but the jagged slate edges.....

I'll do some research.....

Thank you brother,       do you think they would have had insendery  devices  fired out the French Canons   as surely a  bog standard  canon ball would not  have caused a fire?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Got a pic brother, it is of Kenmore House which was used as a union hospital several times during the civil war, Several of the Battles it was involved in were Fredrickson, The Wilderness , Spotsylvania court house to name a few... It was hit with 11 cannonballs during the war, and this one photo shows the damage resulting from the cannonball penetrating a wood framed roof....

dsc_0038.jpg.f4900ba2612114773d2e8e8e073aae9e.jpg

3x4 timber rafter framing with a 1" board sheathing with a slate roof over that at the time of the war..... You can see how the wood splinters to the inside of the hole and would leave fractured tiles on the outside.... A relatively small hole.....

Quote:

58 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

do you think they would have had insendery  devices  fired out the French Canons

Yes in fact heated shot was long used by French and British forces, (mostly naval forces) from the early 1700's.... so it's entirely possible that both sides used it..... 

Below a hot Shot furnace built just before 1800 at Fort-la-latte in France....

1024px-200707_Fort_La_Latte_27.jpg.4f64d267cca9227eb7f72e5dfc31590e.jpg

In 1792, the Austrian forces besieging Lille used heated shot against the city, which was described as a war crime by the French Republican press.

The last known use of Hot Shot was by the ironclad CSS Virginia against the USS Congress during the Civil War successfully setting her afire....

So yeah it's entirely possible.....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Could also have been fused mortar/howitzer shell, basically hollow shot filled with gunpowder and a fuse.

Bit of a gamble because the fuse had to be cut the right length, else it went off too early. A bit like the  grenades, that the grenadier companies used in the early 1700s

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Thank you  EG. Edward   thats put some things into context  - food for thought, quite a few decisions  regarding the time frame during the day I want to show  early on and the damage to the farm was limited  but later on towrds the  late afternoon is when the French attempted to set fire to the barn  if not the farm to draw the KGL out.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Could also have been fused mortar/howitzer shell, basically hollow shot filled with gunpowder and a fuse.

Bit of a gamble because the fuse had to be cut the right length, else it went off too early. A bit like the  grenades, that the grenadier companies used in the early 1700s

Round ball fused shot, commonly known as "Bombs" as in "Bombs bursting in air" from the National anthem were around since the 1300's, in the late 1700's the british refined them by adding a sabot, a round piece of wood so the fuse would always face the muzzle when loaded.... lighting the fuse was enacted by the flash blowby in the barrel from the propelling charge.... they were an effective anti personnel weapon but the fusing was completely unreliable only actually working about 40% of the time..... Just before the civil war they went to pointed "Bombs" which were a bit more reliable but still less than 60% effective.... During and shortly after the civil war they went to percussion fuses and detonators which made them 80% effective..... Grenades date back as far as the 1200's.....

Quote:

8 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Round ball fused shot, commonly known as "Bombs" as in "Bombs bursting in air" from the National anthem were around since the 1300's, in the late 1700's the british refined them by adding a sabot, a round piece of wood so the fuse would always face the muzzle when loaded.... lighting the fuse was enacted by the flash blowby in the barrel from the propelling charge.... they were an effective anti personnel weapon but the fusing was completely unreliable only actually working about 40% of the time..... Just before the civil war they went to pointed "Bombs" which were a bit more reliable but still less than 60% effective.... During and shortly after the civil war they went to percussion fuses and detonators which made them 80% effective..... Grenades date back as far as the 1200's.....

Thank you brother  for keep finding this info  - really will help my  build  plan.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thank you brother  for keep finding this info  - really will help my  build  plan.

OC.

They also had shrapnel charges as well, invented by a Lt. Shrapnel of his majesty's own in the 1780's....

Quote:

They also had howitzers which could lob shell and shot. As already stated, fusing was hit or miss, although they preferred air-burst shells for antipersonnel use. For direct fire against attackers, they had grape shot, rather large lead balls. As we neared the American Civil War,  case and canister were developed for antipersonnel use, with better fuses. Like General Sherman said, was is hell.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild