Battle of Waterloo Attack on La Haye Sainte Farm 1/56 28mm

17 minutes ago, Canute said:

Good idea for the mud. It was a wet area for the battle.

I could do with doing the road last I guess  so I could push some of the figures into it a bit  - I think   (Just guessing here  and probably not the way to do it)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I'm not sure how you'd  do that as I always used based figures, for movement in the wargames, but I guess placing them in the wet filler would work so long as you worked out the positions beforehand 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

19 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

I'm not sure how you'd  do that as I always used based figures, for movement in the wargames, but I guess placing them in the wet filler would work so long as you worked out the positions beforehand 

Yep  I always  wanted to build it as a Permanent  Dio  and not a wargaming set up  - hence why Im cutting them off thier bases when I am ready to fix then down with super glue and possibly pins into thier feet, just need to work out the muddy areas.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

sounds like some really good plans there ;)   totally understand concerning your brother.......hoping things get better.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just now, popeye the sailor said:

sounds like some really good plans there ;)   totally understand concerning your brother.......hoping things get better.

Thank you Denis.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

hence why Im cutting them off thier bases when I am ready to fix then down with super glue and possibly pins into thier feet, just need to work out the muddy areas.

Suggestion brother, don't cut the bases completely off, just shave them down leaving just enough surface for a good glue hold and lay your soil right up to their feet.... Easier to do and more secure....

If you have ever tried to drill pin holes in skinny, tiny plastic legs, you would know why... You already know what happens to a tiny glue joint with a larger mass on the other side.... Breath on them and they break off...

Shave the base down as small and thin as you can with them still standing on their bases, Glue the base to the surface using Gator's glue, then lay the soil up to their feet over the remaining base to hide it,  you will be a lot happier in the long run....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

hows your brother?

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

3 hours ago, Egilman said:

Suggestion brother, don't cut the bases completely off, just shave them down leaving just enough surface for a good glue hold and lay your soil right up to their feet.... Easier to do and more secure....

If you have ever tried to drill pin holes in skinny, tiny plastic legs, you would know why... You already know what happens to a tiny glue joint with a larger mass on the other side.... Breath on them and they break off...

Shave the base down as small and thin as you can with them still standing on their bases, Glue the base to the surface using Gator's glue, then lay the soil up to their feet over the remaining base to hide it,  you will be a lot happier in the long run....

Yep  I thought of that from day one brother  -  before doing anything else  I thinned the bases they  are moulded to,   down till they are just thick enough to support them  - See  "great minds think alike"😉

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

56 minutes ago, Kevin said:

hows your brother?

He is still in hospital   being kept in while they access  what  daily help they can provide when he goes home  - thats a good thing  - still depends if he wants the help and  if he will  start ignoring his door again.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

These came today   - will be put up till I'm ready.

OC.IMG-1003.jpg

IMG-1004.jpg

IMG-1005.jpg

IMG-1006.jpg

IMG-1007.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

Very cool, even has the stucco breaking up. Will you have to shingle/tile the roof portions or just paint? Medium density fiberboard, I take it?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

26 minutes ago, Canute said:

Very cool, even has the stucco breaking up. Will you have to shingle/tile the roof portions or just paint? Medium density fiberboard, I take it?

Not sure ken,   nothing is added in the package  just the MDF laser cut  sections, I would have liked to  (not sure of my ability)   to do  what Ekis  and  Kevin do with there amazing  building  builds,   I think I will take that under instruction as I progress,  its all abit like taking my first steps at school  with this build   - excited but nurvous  not wanting to mess it up  - the figure making/painting is the easy bit I feel.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I would think if you perused some model railroad sites, you'd see paper shingles of those styles of cuts. I've seen them for structures over here. Having a little 3 dimensional effect would bring the scene up a notch.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

14 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Not sure ken,   nothing is added in the package  just the MDF laser cut  sections, I would have liked to  (not sure of my ability)   to do  what Ekis  and  Kevin do with there amazing  building  builds,   I think I will take that under instruction as I progress,  its all abit like taking my first steps at school  with this build   - excited but nurvous  not wanting to mess it up  - the figure making/painting is the easy bit I feel.

OC.

My friend, I would propose that there is no difference from modeling a building to modeling a ship..... everything as far as modeling skills is the same.... The difference is in understanding what the construction is..... You currently understand ships and airplanes and figures.... To do this you need to expand into construction of historic houses and buildings.... Gain a general understanding of how they were built then you can copy from any reference as long as your materials are in the scale you need them to be....

It's the same process and it's not hard..... You took the first steps long ago, you got this, just go slow and study the references..... and see how others achieved theirs....

Just like a ship, a building has a frame and a skin and accessories, building a model building is exactly the same process....

YOU GOT THIS my friend....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

My friend, I would propose that there is no difference from modeling a building to modeling a ship..... everything as far as modeling skills is the same.... The difference is in understanding what the construction is..... You currently understand ships and airplanes and figures.... To do this you need to expand into construction of historic houses and buildings.... Gain a general understanding of how they were built then you can copy from any reference as long as your materials are in the scale you need them to be....

It's the same process and it's not hard..... You took the first steps long ago, you got this, just go slow and study the references..... and see how others achieved theirs....

Just like a ship, a building has a frame and a skin and accessories, building a model building is exactly the same process....

YOU GOT THIS my friend....

Thank you for those words of encouragement my friend  - guess as with my figures  improvement will happen as I move along with it.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

10 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thank you for those words of encouragement my friend  - guess as with my figures  improvement will happen as I move along with it.

OC.

It's absolutely certain : once the construction starts, you'll know how to do better and better ! 😉

Structures are like other kits. Being a laser cut one, makes the basic construction pretty straight forward. Ho you finish can make it pop. You've got the skills; you've already done weathering and have diorama making experience. Visualize the structure in your mind and compare it with what you observe in your village or town. Take pictures of details you want to replicate in La Haye Sainte. Like I tell many model railroaders, work from pictures of the real thing.

Ken

1 hour ago, Ekis said:

It's absolutely certain : once the construction starts, you'll know how to do better and better ! 😉

Thank you Ekis, much appreciated.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Structures are like other kits. Being a laser cut one, makes the basic construction pretty straight forward. Ho you finish can make it pop. You've got the skills; you've already done weathering and have diorama making experience. Visualize the structure in your mind and compare it with what you observe in your village or town. Take pictures of details you want to replicate in La Haye Sainte. Like I tell many model railroaders, work from pictures of the real thing.

Thank you kindly Ken.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Waitoa said:

My advice is don’t be afraid to make mistakes, buildings of all periods have wonky bits and found that the bits I really kicked myself about no one else seems to notice.  Best thing is to make a start and accept you will learn as you go.

Thank you sincerely.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I completely agree with all the advice and comments above, with the additional fact, it's your project and if it looks good to you, it probably will look good to us, as with everything we are our own worst critics!

I for one can't wait for you to get started 😁

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

2 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

I completely agree with all the advice and comments above, with the additional fact, it's your project and if it looks good to you, it probably will look good to us, as with everything we are our own worst critics!

I for one can't wait for you to get started 😁

As ever  - Thank you kindly Edward  for your encouragement - means alot   - As does  everyone elses.👍

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

"The light arrived   -  the light arrived"     -   you know what that means  ................. Yep  the KGL light can play footy  illuminated now not in the dark  - swear blind they play in the night  when we are not around   - kind of a  "night at the museum"   type thing.😁

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi all  "Im back"   thought it was about time  I tried out the new light,   so I shaded the faces and hands  and a few other details, then  I painted thier pom poms, still more to do but glad to  be back on the build.

OC.

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

20 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

"The light arrived   -  the light arrived"     -   you know what that means  ................. Yep  the KGL light can play footy  illuminated now not in the dark  - swear blind they play in the night  when we are not around   - kind of a  "night at the museum"   type thing.😁

OC.

we know, they stole the cheese and onion crisps

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

we know, they stole the cheese and onion crisps

But they didn't do the washing up though.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

47 minutes ago, Canute said:

Well, it's a guy thing, ya know....

Well they bettery pull there fingeres out when I build the farm  - there will be no  sloppyness then  - better keep the place tidy  - fill in any holes in wall from canon balls  I will  demand the send down some  polyfilla  and white wash   - I will call a  cease fire for half an hour to tidy up the place  - that will of course include any grass mowing than needs  doing  oh........and all them weeds   they need pulling.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.