Seaman Recruit taking ship

Hello everyone!

As my screen name suggests, my name is André, and I am from sunny South Africa.

Whilst thinking about a title for my introductory post, I stumbled upon an article which outlined the U.S Navy ranks. Applicably, I immediately identified with the lowest rank, Seaman Recruit, which is characterised as the following:

SR is the first enlisted rank upon entering the Navy and is considered an “apprentice in training.”

Apprentice in training being the key take away as I seek to learn about this wonderful craft, and to draw upon the wealth of knowledge from users on this awesome site - as I am new to this hobby (discounting a few plastic aircraft models I built in my youth).

I have been lurking around this site for a few months whilst doing research on tools, techniques, kits etc. and I finally settled upon AL's HMS Endeavour's Longboat as my first kit, of which I will begin a build log soon.

Glad to be aboard, and will see you around.

Stay safe!

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW, Andre.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 7/24/2020 at 10:46 PM, André84 said:

I finally settled upon AL's HMS Endeavour's Longboat as my first kit,

Good choice! Welcome to MSW. I'm looking forward to seeing your build log.

Welcome to Model Ship World Andre.  You have come to the right site to enhance your skills in building wooden ship models.  There is a wealth of information on this site and if you need help, just ask.  I look forward to following your build log on your Longboat.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Ah the Navy echelon Andre. When I worked for Raytheon I lived in an apartment complex that housed an Annapolis grad, a Great Lakes 90 day Lt JG and an enlisted guy. The white gloves, silver calling card tray and uniforms came off on weekends but watch out Monday morning! I still chuckle about it all. But nonetheless it would have been my choice if I had enlisted. Welcome aboard.

Joe

Welcome to us Andre, 
I have just greeted another new member that has been lurking around in our world, so it pleases us that you also took the step to join us.
The longboat you choose as of first model is great. I have looked at the model several times and shouldn't give you to much of trouble.

Build log will help you and help us, when you find yourself in trouble.

Again, :sign:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

On 7/31/2020 at 4:22 PM, Thistle17 said:

When I worked for Raytheon I lived in an apartment complex that housed an Annapolis grad, a Great Lakes 90 day Lt JG and an enlisted guy. 

Joe

Joe, during what years did you work for Raytheon?
I have worked for Decca Navigator & Radar, which later became Racal-Decca and even later just Racal, that was in Sweden.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry