Dornier DO 217 K-1 ragove Revell 1/72

Papa

I purchased this kit a few years back on sale due to a damaged box. No damage to the parts, just the box.  I don’t remember how much it was discounted but since I still have my frugal New England ways, I assume it was substantial.  I hope this kit goes together better than the now defunct ME 109. The kit looks to be nicely molded, with 2 colored sprues and one clear.  The instructions have a history of the Dornier that I have not read yet. I was anxious to get started and so I assembled and painted one of the crew. He sits facing backwards so I guess he may be a navigator or something like that. It was step 1, parts 1,2,3,4.

BC34F068-7980-4384-86AB-0D1A2A937844.jpeg

498B4A7B-853C-458E-A2EF-659623379834.jpeg

Thats a nice Spitfire target there, fingers crossed it goes together better  for you.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

RA, I suspect that could be the gunner/radio operator, checking for Mossie  or Beaufighter night-fighters sneaking up on them. The navigator would be riding sideways, staring at his maps, or looking out the front. I don't know if the Germans used a co-pilot. The entire 4 man crew was up there in the nose of the bomber.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 minute ago, Canute said:

RA, I suspect that could be the gunner/radio operator, checking for Mossie  or Beaufighter night-fighters sneaking up on them. The navigator would be riding sideways, staring at his maps, or looking out the front. I don't know if the Germans used a co-pilot. The entire 4 man crew was up there in the nose of the bomber.

I guess it will become clearer as I proceed. I noticed there are only 2 crew figures. Perhaps the rest of the crew had too many steins of beer the night before. 

Oh, I can't believe they'd be imbibing too much.;)  We worked with a 12 hour bottle to throttle rule, when I was actively flying. Guess your other two are hiding in the cockpit somewhere.

Their camouflage schemes are so interesting. Will you try the boxtop scheme?

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

2 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

I have read that Dornier produced a Diesel powered bomber that was apparently satisfactory.  Diesels are not usually associated with avaiation.  Is this the plane?

Roger

No that was the Dornier Do 18 A diesel powered flying boat.... 

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

No, the K model here used BMW radials. The German bombers tried a number of permutations of their air-frames, differing mostly with the engines installed. Studying them is a trip down a rabbit hole.

Ken

this should prove to be a better kit for you  ;)    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

off to a good start!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

9 hours ago, ragove said:

I’ve never been able to mask a cockpit canopy successfully.

1/72nd scale aircraft is one place that aftermarket canopy masks are a real aid to the modeler. Especially the ones with greenhouse canopies.... A toothpick as a fine line paint applicator is a good technique but I would thin the paint to the consistency used for a airbrush and make sure you keep the tip of the toothpick wet.... it's like using a nib pen and inkwell...

Nice work btw, 

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

11 hours ago, ragove said:

I have also used toothpicks for some small details, but I didn’t try them for the canopy. Maybe I should try them here.  I need to clean the limes up a bit. I’ve never been able to mask a cockpit canopy successfully. 

Yeah hand paint then use the toothpich around the frame to cleanup the paint outside of the lines scraping to say the wood is softer than the plastic so no damage to the canopy.I usually give the paint about 30-60 minutes of dry time and while the paint is still soft and start scraping or get mask.;)

Coming along nicely.

You need a 10/0 brush (I think that's the size), like OC has used. Two bristles. And use under lots of light and magnification. I need frequent breaks, due to concentrating so hard to paint something so fine.

Ken

8 hours ago, Canute said:

Coming along nicely.

You need a 10/0 brush (I think that's the size), like OC has used. Two bristles. And use under lots of light and magnification. I need frequent breaks, due to concentrating so hard to paint something so fine.

Two bristles?  I vaguely remember seeing brushes with only one.   Maybe they don't make those anymore as it's been along time since I was really into plastic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yeah, for painting fine lines like canopy glass separators in 1/72 scale, 1 would do.

Ken

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Two bristles?  I vaguely remember seeing brushes with only one.   Maybe they don't make those anymore as it's been along time since I was really into plastic.

My thinnest  brush is a  10/0  (Its really tiny)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

That's what I said in post #19. get out the single strand version, too.;):D

Ken

14 minutes ago, Canute said:

That's what I said in post #19. get out the single strand version, too.;):D

Indeed Ken, I read you mate.😉

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Maybe they don't make those anymore as it's been along time since I was really into plastic.

Trot on down to any decent craft store, they will be happy to sell you dozens of them.... (chuckle)

Oh yes, they still make 5/0 & 10/0 fine liners.... (and they usually have more than one or two hairs, although it is hard to see them)

Quote:

Looking fine  - that glazing looks great.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

canopy looks good :)   I use artist's brushes that are pointed.....like they are molded or something.   I find it's all in how much pressure that's put on the tip of the brush.........keep it from fanning out.   I need to get a few more........they tend not to keep the pointiness for very long  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: