Kentucky Here

aaronc

Been lurking a while,...have an ever growing interest in scale modeling in general. Fixing to take a swing at a few different types. I enjoy nautical/whaling history and subject matter. I do a little antler and bone carving,..work on some powder horns,..do a little scrimshaw among other things. It varies 😏 I've enjoyed the gallery here on several visits,...you guys are very skilled. - aaronc  

Welcome Aaron to Model Ship World.  Thanks for the kind comments about the MSW members.   If you get a chance, we would like to see some examples of your work.  I was fortunate to see the scrimshaw collection at Mystic Seaport when I took a behind the scene tour during a past NRG Conference.  It was amazing work done by master artists.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome to MSW, Aaron.  Feel free to post some of your work, here.   We also have sections for build logs, etc.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW,  very nice powder horns, great work 😃

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks again,..here is an antler carving or 2. Interestingly enough my #1 bucket list item is to visit the Hamburg Museum. They have the largest collection of Napoleonic War bone ship models on the planet. I consider those things to be the coolest items ever made 😀.......I have both books on the subject.  My #2 item is much closer to the house,..not ship related but the craftsmanship is still world class. It's Mooney Warther's train carvings in Ohio. Some of you are very familiar with the Hamburg Museum I'm sure.   -Aaron 

https://thewarthermuseum.com/collection

The whale and compass rose scrim on the moose palm needed a much heavier coat of wax before starting the engraving process. It would have prevented the "muddy look" and the images would have been cleaner,..oh well live and learn. I just tell people I as shooting for a vintage authentic looking piece :dancetl6:

DSC03267_zps6f9e485b.jpg

DSC03266_zps59f56e55.jpg

291126_263153440408456_263148000409000_744985_904286604_o.jpg

thumbnailscrimresize.jpg

thumbnailscrim2resize.jpg

Bone models are fascinating.   We had a builder who started a scratch log using bone but he never finished.  Not sure what happened to him.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

17 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Bone models are fascinating.   We had a builder who started a scratch log using bone but he never finished.  Not sure what happened to him.

I'm on my largest bone/antler project at the moment,..be ashamed to tell you how long it's been on my bench. I work in other projects like scrimshaw and various things so it does extend completion time. However it is coming around and hopefully be finished in the not too distant future. My next bone antler project will be ship related. You guys will make fun of me because it may be as simple as an old style 1920's or 30's canoe,..but...I'll move forward from there. I love the viking long boats,..whaling boats are on the list for sure.  Sloops and clippers are beautiful as well....they also begin to get more complicated. I'm sure there is many more that appeal to me but I wouldn't know the names,..not nowhere the expert you guys are.  Those big monster HMS and Man of War ships some of you do are mind boggling,..not saying I would never attempt some sort of swing at it but at the moment no,.it is by no means on my horizon....but I still love to look 🤩

I know it's already on the boards here but Manfred's book on those bone models is one of the best books I own. For anyone with an interest in them it is worth the money. -Aaron

I think we'll be looking forward to seeing your work.  And we don't laugh at other's projects.  We may laugh at their jokes, but not the projects.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Welcome to MSW, Aaron!

I've done a bit of work with bone and horn myself. Earlier in life I did mediaeval re-enactment and I've made combs and other artefacts from antler, but nothing of the quality you're doing.

Choose something simple to start off with. Too many people start on something hugely complicated and intricate, get frustrated and disappointed and give it up. But if you begin with a relatively simple model, get success with it, you can then go on to the more advanced models as your skills and understanding improve.

And once you've decided what to make, be sure you start a build log as well, so others can see your progress and give help, encouragement and advice. The instructions on how to start one are here:

And you may have noticed that there are sections of the forum for questions on specific aspects of a build,such as planking, sails and rigging etc. If you have a question, this is often the place to go.

50 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

Welcome to MSW, Aaron!

I've done a bit of work with bone and horn myself. Earlier in life I did mediaeval re-enactment and I've made combs and other artefacts from antler, but nothing of the quality you're doing.

Choose something simple to start off with. Too many people start on something hugely complicated and intricate, get frustrated and disappointed and give it up. But if you begin with a relatively simple model, get success with it, you can then go on to the more advanced models as your skills and understanding improve.

And once you've decided what to make, be sure you start a build log as well, so others can see your progress and give help, encouragement and advice. The instructions on how to start one are here:

And you may have noticed that there are sections of the forum for questions on specific aspects of a build,such as planking, sails and rigging etc. If you have a question, this is often the place to go.

Louie,..thanks for the response. Yes I actually love the way this forum is sectioned off. Especially for something as vast, intricate, and detailed as these ships. It's a large amount of subject matter. I checked out several,.and lurked around for a year or 2,.......but this is where I settled. As far as initial kits go those small whaling ships with all the tools of the trade would have my attention. Love the era,...it's early American. It's just my speed. Best Regards, -Aaron 

22 minutes ago, aaronc said:

As far as initial kits go those small whaling ships with all the tools of the trade would have my attention.

That's a fairly ambitious first build, though certainly quite a few people have started on something that complex and succeeded.

On the other hand, a whaleboat such as the Model Shipways one - there's a build log here - 

might be a better project to begin on and develop the skills which will stand you in good stead when you move up to bigger and more complicated things, without being too overwhelming to start with.

2 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

That's a fairly ambitious first build, though certainly quite a few people have started on something that complex and succeeded.

On the other hand, a whaleboat such as the Model Shipways one - there's a build log here - 

might be a better project to begin on and develop the skills which will stand you in good stead when you move up to bigger and more complicated things, without being too overwhelming to start with.

Maybe I misspoke when I said "whaleboat". I think that is a beautiful model and exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for tip on a specific example 👍

Hi Aaron,

And when I thought there were no more hobbies in which I would like to indulge, BANG, along you come with another thing that looks like a pleasure to do.   😀

Welcome aboard.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hello Aaron, and a belated welcome. I agree with Allan, you never know when another interest (maybe promoted to 'hobby') will enter your sphere. Scrimshaw must be very rewarding. I have had the pleasure of seeing in person some of the work of Grinling Gibbons and it stirred an interest. Sadly, it turns out I have absolutely no apptitude for carving but am especially happy to see someone who does have the talent. 

Hope to see more of your work.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

5 hours ago, allanyed said:

Hi Aaron,

And when I thought there were no more hobbies in which I would like to indulge, BANG, along you come with another thing that looks like a pleasure to do.   😀

Welcome aboard.

Allan

3 hours ago, bruce d said:

Hello Aaron, and a belated welcome. I agree with Alan, you never know when another interest (maybe promoted to 'hobby') will enter your sphere. Scrimshaw must be very rewarding. I have had the pleasure of seeing in person some of the work of Grinling Gibbons and it stirred an interest. Sadly, it turns out I have absolutely no apptitude for carving but am especially happy to see someone who does have the talent. 

Hope to see more of your work.

Bruce

Thanks Allan and Bruce..glad to be here. I'm no historian on carving but yes I'm familiar with Gibbons.. There is carving,...and there is carving,...and I'm just a piddler. Those European guys did things centuries ago in different mediums that don't seem possible even with today's tools and resources. Yes I like the scrimshaw and the horn making. My #1 will always be carving antler or bone but I just do what tickles my fancy that day,...sometimes it's both.