model shipways essex

wayne mcmullin

11 hours ago, wayne mcmullin said:

thinking of model shipways essex but want to add masts and rigging, looking for ideas if there is a similar kit with masts

Hi,

If you just want materials then it would be easier to buy that from Model Expo together with the kit. ATOS Essex should give info about dimensions etc.

Someone mentioned AOTS, which is 32-Gun Frigate Essex (Anatomy of the Ship, which would be the best source, depending on your budget.

Not cheap, but Googling shows copies for less than $50..

While there are those who would argue the details, the general arrangement of the Constitution might be an option.

There are lots of resources for Constitution rigging plans.

image.thumb.png.8773923d105ec00c8bb8afd4aef7f202.png

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Wayne, I built a fully rigged Essex from the MS kit, using the AOTS Essex as the primary source for the rigging. My build log is on this site and is referenced in my signature.

Bob

The problem with model shipways new Essex Kit is that They made it in an oddball scale of 1/76.2! That will definitely complicate the conversion math. I don’t understand why they didn’t just make the kit in 3/16th scale like their confederacy. Rafine’s Essex build was just beautiful, and should be carefully studied by anyone making the kit.

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2020 at 9:24 AM, PAPA said:

If you want a real challenge find an old Model Shipways  “Yellow Box” version of the Essex.

I actually have this kit. Machine carved hull. The plans and instruction booklet are real nice. I purchased it back in the mid '80's. My Kate Cory is nearing completion and I've dug out the kit and started poking around here for some Essex logs. I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge of this 1/8" scale kit. It's going to require a lot of scratch building, as there's no way I'd use many these old metal fittings for grates, bitts, barricades, etc. There sure is no lack of info here about these ships, and @rafine's Essex log is an inspiration, and it also reminds me just how much I have to master to get decent results on such a model. 

Rich

Member - Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Current Build:  Pride of Baltimore 2

Finished: Kate Cory

Finished for now (Not rigged):  Medway Longboat

I purchased my Essex in 1968 give or take.  The “instruction booklet” was about 4 pages.  Like 1 8.5 by 11 sheet cut into fourths. It said something like “here is a bunch of wood.  Shape the hull, use dowels for masts, and thread for rigging. Good luck”. I marched along very slowly as best I could.  In the 80s MS produced a very nice instruction book which helped greatly. In fact I ended up undoing some things and making it better.  I also coppered the hull (I had painted it greenish and was not happy with that.)  Moving along, I was still rigging it in the 2000s. I finally finished so 40 years after I started. 

On 10/5/2020 at 10:01 PM, uss frolick said:

The problem with model shipways new Essex Kit is that They made it in an oddball scale of 1/76.2! That will definitely complicate the conversion math. I don’t understand why they didn’t just make the kit in 3/16th scale like their confederacy. Rafine’s Essex build was just beautiful, and should be carefully studied by anyone making the kit.

The scale was requested by Eric Snow (who was managing ME at the time) It is the same scale as the CONSTITUTION. He felt the same scale would (obviously) give a sense of size and proportion to a contemporary vessel and might even spur multiple purchases - Sam Cassano Jr

Wayne, the kit is based on the original launch appearance so the best source of masts & yard sizes would be Prebele's notes / logs that list them.  After that you've got to decide what year / era you're going to present and research to that time frame as there were considerable changes made to the rig as was the actual appearance and armament 

Sam

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

Bob

Sorry about the "under development again" line that was / kinda an inside joke when I put it on m y profile. I was doing some design work for a couple of different manufacturers on spec. 

I've got to take that thing off.   I did want to do ESSEX larger but my bosses wanted it at 1:76 (scale conversions) were just a pleasure to do - lol

Sam

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT