1/48 Italeri CH47 (Chinook) "Big Wokka" RAF

Nice work, OC.   Seeing the front glass brought back memories of seeing the choppers where I was stationed being repainted for various reasons.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

37 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Nice work, OC.   Seeing the front glass brought back memories of seeing the choppers where I was stationed being repainted for various reasons.

Thank you kindly Mark,     got the bottom to fit next, as Italeri in thier wisdom  made it a seperate piece.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Nice work in getting what appears to be a poor fitting clear section to fit properly OC.

I don't think I have ever seen a CH with black window frames. Somehow looks strange to me for some reason.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

6 hours ago, lmagna said:

Nice work in getting what appears to be a poor fitting clear section to fit properly OC.

I don't think I have ever seen a CH with black window frames. Somehow looks strange to me for some reason.

Hi lou,   thats the  reflection of the grey painted frames I did on the inside  -  they will be Green on the outside the same as the rest of the fuselage, I have masked the glass  so I can prime then paint without worry.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

thats the  reflection of the grey painted frames I did on the inside 

No problem OC Your build your choice. I was just saying that it looked odd to me for some reason. All of the CHs I have even seen had window frames that matched the fuselage color. Most had a black anti glare upper nose but not all of them. I don't even pretend to be all that knowledgeable on the CH anyway, especially a more modern English version. They could be pink with purple Pokka dots and fly like a Flamingo for all I know. You are doing great work, possibly one of your best, and I am enjoying following along. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

30 minutes ago, lmagna said:

They could be pink with purple Pokka dots and fly like a Flamingo for all I know.

That sounds like something from a Monte Python sketch....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

20 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Monte Python sketch....

He's English as well isn't he? If so he is probably a better authority than I am.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

No problem OC Your build your choice. I was just saying that it looked odd to me for some reason. All of the CHs I have even seen had window frames that matched the fuselage color. Most had a black anti glare upper nose but not all of them. I don't even pretend to be all that knowledgeable on the CH anyway, especially a more modern English version. They could be pink with purple Pokka dots and fly like a Flamingo for all I know. You are doing great work, possibly one of your best, and I am enjoying following along. 

Thanks Lou,   they will be the same colour as the  rest of the chopper  when I spray over the whole thing,   thank you for  your praise  - will have to see how the paint finish turns out.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,   I have the bottom piece in place now  "Boy" did it take some positioning  -  its kind of cross shape long and narrow-ish  tucks under where the nose section touches the frame and goes back as far as the tail gate, it sits on a few lugs  but requires gluing the whole length along the edges, but first I  had to do dry fitting and sanding to get it to drop in place  - then the glue,   while setting I had to manipulate it into shape correcting its hight - it had a few dips and highs, but after leaving it over night I was today able to sand the high spots and use filler on a few gaps and dips  - then more controled  sanding and wet sanding.

I think it will be ok  after primer and paint layer/s from my rattle can.

Tell you what - the whole thing is quite sturdy now  with some weight to it.

Pictures tomorrow.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I hope that this is not too much off topic.  It ‘s about things that fly with large drop down tail gates.

It’s always a problem for my wife and me to agree on a NETFLIX movie.  She likes “chick flick” romantic comedies and I like mysteries and some of the better military themed movies.

Last night after getting my daily fix of The Blacklist I agreed to watch Operation Christmas Drop with her.  It’s a boy meets girl romantic comedy filmed against the backdrop of the USAF’s actual annual Christmas Time present and supply drop to isolated islanders in Micronesia.

The thing that separates this from the usually schmaltzy Christmas Movie is the fact that it was actually filmed on an active USAF air base on Guam and features a lot of live shots of military hardware, particularly C-130’s.  There are also a number of great shots of a US Navy helicopter ( a current single rotor one).

The last fairly lengthy scene of the movie shows the squadron of C-130’s dropping boxes by parachute to the islanders.  Much of this was shot from the rear of the plane out of the dropped tail gate.  

My my wife agreed with me that the movie was surprisingly well done.

Roger

1 hour ago, Roger Pellett said:

I hope that this is not too much off topic.  It ‘s about things that fly with large drop down tail gates.

It’s always a problem for my wife and me to agree on a NETFLIX movie.  She likes “chick flick” romantic comedies and I like mysteries and some of the better military themed movies.

Last night after getting my daily fix of The Blacklist I agreed to watch Operation Christmas Drop with her.  It’s a boy meets girl romantic comedy filmed against the backdrop of the USAF’s actual annual Christmas Time present and supply drop to isolated islanders in Micronesia.

The thing that separates this from the usually schmaltzy Christmas Movie is the fact that it was actually filmed on an active USAF air base on Guam and features a lot of live shots of military hardware, particularly C-130’s.  There are also a number of great shots of a US Navy helicopter ( a current single rotor one).

The last fairly lengthy scene of the movie shows the squadron of C-130’s dropping boxes by parachute to the islanders.  Much of this was shot from the rear of the plane out of the dropped tail gate.  

My my wife agreed with me that the movie was surprisingly well done.

Roger

Thank you Roger,  what also supprises me is the  guys who stand so close to the  rear ramp  - tethered, buy  "wow"  must take some guts to do that  and a head for hights.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all, I got some really good progress on this today  - Including a pic I promised from yesterday, after completing the bottom I then worked on the rear tail rotor panel  that is at the extreme rear  and goes from above the ramp roof  upto the rotor head,  its a  One piece molding but had to be sanded to get it to fit, then a couple of gaps was created  these needed filling with my filler  and smoothing after,  also the area where this piece joined needed some quite drastic sanding  - this wiped out some of the panel lines, so I got my little flex straight edge and sriber  - and set about re-scribing the lost panel lines.

I then turned my attention to the front of the  rear rotor area  where there is some kind of machinery  that is enclosed  save for a small opening in the front - this was assembled painted/weathered and glued in place  - then the cover was assembled and dry fitted  (as in the pic).

So here is the current situation -

OC.

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

IMG_0934.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thank you Roger,  what also supprises me is the  guys who stand so close to the  rear ramp  - tethered, buy  "wow"  must take some guts to do that  and a head for hights.

OC.

When I started flying way back when in CH-34's , the whole side seems to open when the door is open.  Gunner's belt was mandatory.  On the other hand, sitting on the floor at the open door in flight was cool.  With the CH-53, again.. if you go to the ramp,, belt required.  Being young and stupid is plus. Once you've done it a few times, it's just part of the trip.

The views are spectacular from either one.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Yeah,  The photography in this movie is spectacular.  I got vertigo just watching it.  At least some of it appears to be the real thing.  Although the boxes that they are dropping are transported to the open ramp by a powered roller conveyor the crew standing close to the opening gave them a final shove.  Although they tethered, I couldn’t help but wonder what would happen if someone lost their balance.

8 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

Yeah,  The photography in this movie is spectacular.  I got vertigo just watching it.  At least some of it appears to be the real thing.  Although the boxes that they are dropping are transported to the open ramp by a powered roller conveyor the crew standing close to the opening gave them a final shove.  Although they tethered, I couldn’t help but wonder what would happen if someone lost their balance.

Probably they'd hang and try to climb back up along with the other crew members pulling them back up and in.  At least that's we would do.  On the CH-34, the steps out side the main door were a big help getting back in.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Those tethering belts are at least as strong as parachute harnesses. But, if you go out, you'll need to change clothes once you get back inside. ;):D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I once knew a gunner who claimed that he got launched out of the open door of a Huey and played at being  a trapeze artist for a few klicks. I always had my doubts about the story.

At least in the D and H models we were pretty boxed in and had a solidly mounted M-60 to hang onto. Even though I can remember a couple of times where I didn't get back in quite fast enough and was more hanging on than riding inside I never actually fell or was thrown out. Also like Mark says you get used to being up in the air free with the wind blowing and nothing much to block the view. After the first week or so it becomes almost routine and you think nothing of being at 2000 + feet and doing 70 Knots. It was probably more dangerous being at 100 feet and still doing 70 knots. (But also MUCH more fun).:D I missed it all when I got out and was grounded overnight. It's not a job, it's an addiction. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

I once knew a gunner who claimed that he got launched out of the open door of a Huey and played at being  a trapeze artist for a few klicks. I always had my doubts about the story.

At least in the D and H models we were pretty boxed in and had a solidly mounted M-60 to hang onto. Even though I can remember a couple of times where I didn't get back in quite fast enough and was more hanging on than riding inside I never actually fell or was thrown out. Also like Mark says you get used to being up in the air free with the wind blowing and nothing much to block the view. After the first week or so it becomes almost routine and you think nothing of being at 2000 + feet and doing 70 Knots. It was probably more dangerous being at 100 feet and still doing 70 knots. (But also MUCH more fun).:D I missed it all when I got out and was grounded overnight. It's not a job, it's an addiction. 

I couldn't have done it as I suffer from vertigo  when high up, I can't even look down from a high building, I was up the top ramparts of a castle the once and nearly got stuck as I froze from looking down over the edge.

Nope can't do hights.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I flew with pilots who would not stand near the edge of a high building. Didn't want to look down. Had no issues flying. Go figure.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

1 hour ago, Canute said:

I flew with pilots who would not stand near the edge of a high building. Didn't want to look down. Had no issues flying. Go figure.

I was once asked to do a bungy jump  -  I replied  "Not on your nelly"

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Apart from holiday flights, the only other "flying" I've done is a paraglide from a mountain in Turkey, a really exhilarating experience 😁

I can understand  OCs reluctance as the Admiral gets jelly legs.

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I'd get the jitters when I'd have to go up on the roof to shovel it off,  as a youngster.   given some time to get my 'legs'........then I'd be fine.   do it on a daily basis though.......wouldn't be my first choice ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Evening all,    more progress  - not much content  but some good improvement,   I painted the inside cover of the rear fuselage  rotor area, then it was glued inplace and then a few gaps were filled and sanded,  then  on the same general area  - the kit makers decided to make an acess cover panel lines be engraved  - but in true life the gap would be about 2-3 Inches wide, so I had a go at filling the gap with my vallejo filler - hopefuly  this will look ok  when primed and painted.

OC.

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

I'd get the jitters when I'd have to go up on the roof to shovel it off,  as a youngster.

Strangely enough, I found I am somewhat the same these days. Last winter I had to climb onto my roof in a storm to make a repair on a third story drain. After I left the ladder behind and was fully standing on the wet roof I was feeling pretty uncomfortable. What a difference fifty years makes. On the other hand I think I would rather enjoy bungee jumping, hang gliding and sky diving even today. 

I suppose it is not the height, or even the fall that bothers me so much as the sudden stop at the end.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

26 minutes ago, lmagna said:

After I left the ladder behind and was fully standing on the wet roof I was feeling pretty uncomfortable.

I am the same with roofs, will not go up on mine nowadays, which is a bit embarrassing as I'm a builder and I do customers roof repairs but not my own🤔🙄

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I'm the same with flying  - ok if I dont look down out the window  and have been ok when going through clouds as the obscure the ground  - have flown in a C172 (4 seats)   then a B707  (180)   then a B737   (130)   and last a DH Dove  about 10 seats I think, the dove didn't help at the pilot said  one of the engines had a slight miss-firing problem  at the time  (my face then)😵😨

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

That kit has some serious panel lines. Maybe they're betting the paint will get laid on so thick, we wouldn't notice? ;):D Surprising, since it seems to have been released in 2006.

Ken

11 hours ago, lmagna said:

After the first week or so it becomes almost routine and you think nothing of being at 2000 + feet and doing 70 Knots. It was probably more dangerous being at 100 feet and still doing 70 knots. (But also MUCH more fun).:D I missed it all when I got out and was grounded overnight. It's not a job, it's an addiction. 

I can't speak to the Hueys but others I've heard the stories and they seemed reasonable as the one hanging was usually at the rear (ramp open) or in a place where there was nothing to stop them.

It is an addiction to be sure, Lou.  Flying along at 100-150 knots per hour at any altitude.   The lower, the better.   Actually, in 'Nam one was better off flying low and fast as the VC wouldn't know you were there until you passed over them.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

1 hour ago, Canute said:

That kit has some serious panel lines. Maybe they're betting the paint will get laid on so thick, we wouldn't notice? ;):D Surprising, since it seems to have been released in 2006.

Yep,  its  one of the flaws  with it  - shame really  as everything else is about right with kit  - takes some fiddling with the fit, but gets there in the end.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The brass would bark at us if we lingered below 5K feet in SVN. That was only an issue if you dawdled around at 300 Knots. For us, the faster the better and get as low as you felt capable. Later on, we worked some exercises at 100 feet, but "we were smokin", as we'd like to say, doing 450 to 500 Kts. It's a thrill and a half, flying formation thru some canyons in northern Utah or central Pennsylvania, doing those kinds of speeds. Having all that sheet metal wrapped around you made you feel invincible. Hanging out the back end of  a 'Hook or a Herky on a thether, no way, Jose.

Ken