Cheap draw plate

Needed a draw plate with small holes for making truunels.  Was checking Amazon and most were between $30 and $50.  However in with the more expensive ones I found this one, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RN8F1Z9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks good and at this price I figured it was worth taking a chance on.  It will be here next week and I will post an update.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Not quite sure why you didn't check out the Byrnes drawplate. It is superb and draws down to a #79 drill hole size. Plus it costs less than what you were looking at!  https://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/drawplate5.html

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I think you will be disappointed as these are meant to compress wire rather than removing material.   The wire get longer as it is reduced in diameter.  Search for this topic as draw plates have been discussed.

Byrnes Model Machines makes a very good draw plate that works great for wood. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

52 minutes ago, kurtvd19 said:

these are meant to compress wire rather than removing material

I am aware of these being for drawing wire but if you turn them over they work well for making treenails.  I have an old wire draw plate that works well but only goes down to about 1mm which is to large for anything less than 1:24 scale.  This one goes down to .26mm.  I paid $3 shipped for the new one and if it doesn't work for treenails it will still be good for wire drawing which is a useful thing to have around.

I was aware of the Byrnes plate and considered it but with shipping to Hawaii it costs about the same as the plates on Amazon.  It would be a good choice if this one doesn't work out.

Edited by grsjax

OK.  I could never get a jewelers draw plate to work on wood. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Byrnes.  He is a sponsor here and a great guy as well.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I have had three draw plates and still have one from MicroMark which is OK for the most part.  One of the holes is actually larger than the preceding one so a miscue on their production floor, and I still have the Byrnes.  BYRNES IS THE WAY TO GO.  I have made many many thousands of treenail strips from bamboo and pear with this plate and it never disappoints.  One trick I learned some years ago (I think from Druxey) is to pull the piece through the same hole at least two or three times at slightly different angles before moving to the next smaller hole.  Takes an extra few seconds, but well worth it.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Draw plates work differently on wood than they do on wire, so there is a subtle difference in the plates that cut the two materials and the way they are used. The draw plate compresses the wire and the wire is lengthened when its diameter is reduced.  On the other hand, a draw plate shaves material from the wiideb workpiece to reduce its diameter. I learned this from druxey and Jaager in this thread: 

There's also such a thing as a wooden draw plate, made out of wood, that is used for making the diameter of woven jewelry chain uniform. It's a different animal entirely.

I believe that wire is compressed through a draw plate by pulling the wire "in the big side of the hole and out the small side of the hole," while wood is shaved with a draw plate by pulling the wood "in the small side of the hole and out the big side of the hole. The critical factor in a good draw plate for reducing the size of wood is the sharpness of the edge created at the juncture of the countersunk hole and the flat of the face of the draw plate at the small side of the hole. That's the cutting edge of the scraper created in the face of the draw plate. A good wood draw plate needs to have its face where the small end of the holes are ground and lapped flat like the back of a chisel so that the scraping edge is sharp. I believe that's what makes good draw plates, like the ones Jim Byrnes makes and the expensive ones sold by top jewelers' supply houses, work so well... and cost more. 

Well I got the new carbide jewelers draw plate and it is a fine tool but does not work well for making trunnels.  Using my jewelers drawplate made of steel by drawing the wood from the back to the front works ok but not perfect.  The carbide plate is made differently and has a short straight section.  I can draw bamboo slivers through the plate and make satisfactory trunnels but the effort required is to great to make it worth while.  I guess I will have to take a look at the Byrnes draw plate.