Pauline by pwog - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 3/16" - Sardine Carrier

@FriedClams Thanks so much Gary. I am so happy that the boating season is back here in Maine. Now I have a list of new projects that need doing on my 1:1, as well. 🤣

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)

• 4 months later...

Hello Everybody! 

Now that my 1:1 boat is on the hard and ready for a long Maine winter, I am starting up again on the Pauline. It’s good to be back at it. 

Although, the rigging on the Pauline looks very simple compared to that of sailing ships, this is my first attempt at rigging. 

I’ve tied the turnbuckles to the eye pins and chain plates and tied the shrouds to the turnbuckles and mast. I also threaded the shrouds through the pin rails, as well. The laser cut pin rails that were included in the kit were so fragile that I ended up breaking both of them! So, I just made my own out of scraps. 

BC6CCB03-FB34-4B18-B0F8-21E6E421F49A.thumb.jpeg.526db64388001b41183db925def6375e.jpeg

Paul

Completed Builds:

• 2 months later...

Good Morning Paul. 

I am building Pauline and am at the step of constructing  the  antenna system.  The difficulty I am having is inserting the.20 

brass rod into the small hole in part LP24A  I tried enlarging the holes but broke each part 

How did you accomplish this step?

Also did you paint the antenna silver-I tried but paint will not adhere and if it did it would make the rod even thicker.

Your photos and steps serve me well as at  88 I need all the help I can get   !!       Dick

Hello Dick,

I’m trying to remember the antenna assemblies specifically. I looked at my build and it looks like I was able to get the wire through the holes. That being said, there have been several parts that are so delicate I broke them while working with them. Usually I ended up fabricating new parts from the wood that initially held the pieces that broke. In some cases I glued the parts together and used paint to try and camouflage the  damage. 

currently I am at a stand still, as I am finding assembling the rat lines to be very tedious and have broken a few parts in my attempt to assemble the lines. It’s very frustrating!

Concerning painting the antennas; I painted them after completing the assembly. 

I’ve reached out to Nic at Bluejacket for advice before and have found that useful at times. I hope this helps. Good luck!

paul

Paul

Completed Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Paul - I just looked at your build logs and both the Red Baron and the Pauline are first rate work - very impressive!  You'll enjoy the Swampscott Dory and have no problems with it.  I'm just taking a long time with it as I have zero nautical background and am learning the language as I go along (what's a jib?; what's a halyard?; and don't even get me started with "strop a block"!) Congrats on your terrific workmanship!

Melissa T.

Current Build: 85' ARB Scratch build, 1:32 scale

Completed: Gunboat Philadelphia - Model Shipways, Statenjacht - Kolderstok, Swampscott Dory - BlueJacket ShipCrafters

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you so much for your kind words Melissa. Honestly, I'm finding the Pauline challenging, at times, as some of the pieces are so delicate that I break them and then have to repair or reproduce the part. It's very frustrating. However, the builds are fun.

Again, your work on the dory is just beautiful!

Paul

Completed Builds:

• 6 months later...

Hello Everyone! I hope you are all well.

It has been a while since I've posted. Truthfully, I needed to step away from my build, as it was getting so frustrating. Also, I have a 1:1 scale boat that I spend most of my time on during our (too short) summers here in Maine.

To bring you up to speed...

I was in the process of starting the standing rigging. I was having a very difficult time with gluing the ratline battens onto the inner shrouds. The battens just weren't sticking to the rigging thread. After many attempts, the frustration (and the fact that I was running out of swear words) got the best of me and I closed my shipyard. Now that I've had time to distract myself around the coast of Maine; I'm back at it. Having thought through my previous attempts at gluing the battens, the only conclusion that I could come up with for my failed attempts was the glue. I did some research and found that CA glue has a shelf life! I had not realized that. I bought new glue and the battens are attached! Easey peasey.

I have all the standing rigging attached, but I'm not completely satisfied with some of the slackness in some of the runs. I'm considering removing and trying again.

I found it difficult to keep the tension on the thread and tie it off. If anyone has some tips and or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

524805598_Pauline-1.jpg.f3036c8469cc4e9acc2af71cffb4c454.jpg

Paul

Completed Builds:

21 minutes ago, pwog said:

I found it difficult to keep the tension on the thread and tie it off.

What type of rope are you using? I found that moving to polyester rope for me helped solve this problem (there are disadvantages to it as well, some that I'm probably not even aware of), but polyester has a stretch to it so you can make it tighter. I never found a great way to keep all my cotton lines taunt and it bugs me a little bit on an earlier build of mine.

Hi Tim, I'm using the cotton thread that came with the kit. I'll look into polyester thread. Thanks! - Paul

Paul

Completed Builds:

Quick update - I tried something that I hoped would prevent me from having to redo the slack rigging and it worked! I decided to cut the line attaching the stern turnbuckle to the stern chain plate and reattach applying a bit of tension, which was enough to draw the main back stay and the spring stay snug. I'm much happier with the result!

1226217836_Pauline-1.jpg.cab09755ce17f3313ba6465b35a5d9bb.jpg

Paul

Completed Builds:

A quick update...

I finished the rigging. This was my first attempt at rigging. It was at times frustrating and challenging, but once completed, satisfying. I can't imagine rigging a model tall ship! I learned some tricks along the way, but I'm sure I have much more to learn.

My next step will be to coil the ends of the running rigging and fix them to their belaying pins. After that I will be adding some details to complete my build.

1890313595_Pauline-1.jpg.b484f5db6f151c0cc3156d96c4883ce5.jpg

Paul

Completed Builds:

Good to see an update on your sardine carrier Paul.  Your model is looking great!

On 8/18/2022 at 10:16 AM, pwog said:

I decided to cut the line attaching the stern turnbuckle to the stern chain plate and reattach applying a bit of tension, which was enough to draw the main back stay and the spring stay snug.

Good solution.  Whenever I'm building a model with a lot of lines on it, I always plan and depend on one last line that I use to tension all the rest.

On 8/16/2022 at 9:27 AM, pwog said:

the frustration (and the fact that I was running out of swear words) got the best of me

I have a deep reservoir of cuss words, but when I've exhausted all of them, I find arranging them in novel combinations helpful. 

Good to hear you've been enjoying your 1:1 boat.  Looking forward to future updates.

Gary 

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 3 weeks later...

I am just about finished my build. I added a couple of additions to my build based on some photos I have in an article by Maynard Bray with photos by Benjamin Mendlowitz in Wooden Boat Magazine, Number 59, July/August 1984. I added the bags of salt, just forward of the house, the boat with buoys on the stern and some rope hanks on the belaying pins. I will probably add a couple rope hanks on the rails at the sides of the house, as well.

800494902_paulinearticle001.jpg.16f06268497d39702ca855b7bdc8db93.jpg1783690003_paulinearticle001-2.jpg.ec5c598e819bf70823077607c4a62026.jpg

I still have to mount Pauline on a nicer board and I'm still going back and forth on adding an anchor and a radar antenna. My trepidation is whether or not the scale of the anchor and radar antenna are correct. I'm happy to hear anyone's opinion on the anchor and/or radar. Here are some images:

728982481_Pauline-4.jpg.e637d10aa2d5322d34ac6dc1ccdfe38e.jpg

Here you can see the anchor hanging from the bow and the radar antenna. If I add the anchor I will coil the line on deck. I wanted to put the anchor on deck, but it seems bigger when on deck.???

1019568055_Pauline-2.jpg.b280eaf45deed191afc0ed21c061394a.jpg1019568055_Pauline-2.jpg.b280eaf45deed191afc0ed21c061394a.jpg

The roof on the house is removable. I have mounted an LED light to it to illuminate the interior, so I have a bit of adjustment to make so the roof fits flush.

740945457_Pauline-3.jpg.b8d60971fd6c4d556e098e030c846a77.jpg

I'll post more images when I'm completely finished.

Edited by pwog

Paul

Completed Builds:

So clean and beautiful. Nice work!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

The radar looks right for the scale of the boat.  No idea on the anchor.  Great build!

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Here is a radar I found online,

Scale wise it looks right.

My concern is the platform the radar is sitting on.

One single rod will not hold the radar in place, they need a triangular leg or attached to a mast, a setup to be stable in weather.
All radar installation I did in early 80's had that setup.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Those extra details really bring it to life.

Now you are going to have to invest in a new bookshelf worthy of displaying such a nice model!

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

14 hours ago, Nirvana said:

So clean and beautiful. Nice work!

Thanks Nirvana!

Paul

Completed Builds:

13 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

Awesome job! It looks great! Unfortunately I have no idea about the scale of the anchor and such

Thanks Tim!

Paul

Completed Builds:

11 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

The radar looks right for the scale of the boat.  No idea on the anchor.  Great build!

Thanks Kurt! The anchor looks okay (to me) when hanging from the side, but when layer on deck, not so much. I may just suspend it from the side.

Paul

Completed Builds:

9 hours ago, Nirvana said:
2 hours ago, schooner said:

Those extra details really bring it to life.

Now you are going to have to invest in a new bookshelf worthy of displaying such a nice model!

Thanks Nirvana. My wife and I were discussing where we were going to put it last night. 😂

Paul

Completed Builds:

9 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Here is a radar I found online,

Scale wise it looks right.

My concern is the platform the radar is sitting on.

One single rod will not hold the radar in place, they need a triangular leg or attached to a mast, a setup to be stable in weather.
All radar installation I did in early 80's had that setup.

I agree with you Nirvana. I will probably use the one I found. It looks realistic and the scale is close enough. It’s pictured above, leaning against the base

By-the-way, after I finished my Red Baron build you suggested that I try a simple planked build next. My next build will be the Swampscott Dory by Bluejacket.

Paul

Completed Builds: