MPC profile series B 25 Bomber 1:72 scale by Popeye the Sailor - finished for now but not forgotten

2 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

That's the 44 ft motor lifeboat, self righting, which I believe replaced their 36 ft MLB (36500) featured in the movie The Finest Hours based on the true story of what is still considered the US Coast Guard's greatest small boat rescue

Amen Brother....

36500 was a TRS class 36' motor lifeboat.......

15728502256_c2a5efec86_b.jpg.f34934881d503c786757b3cd2f517b2a.jpg

Here is a shot of one as you can see the Museum has a Cape Disappointment stationed craft in it's collection as well.... Haven't found out the registration number yet but I believe it is CG-36454, which also has it's famous story... (but not as famous as CG-36500's)

Here's a posting of CG-44300's career from being a prototype, to being the training boat for USCG coxswain's out of the Lifeboat school at Cape Disappointment WA..... A 35 year career.....

Wonderful boats, they saved many a life, and between the two types were the worldwide standard in MLB's for over 70 years....

And WE need to stop re-railing Dennis's B-25 thread.....

Sorry Brother....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Somewhere between 25 and 30 years ago I had the opportunity to watch the 44' boats located in San Francisco work out in waves even bigger than the one in that display in Oregon. There were two boats and they kept taking turns running the waves at all sorts of angles time after time. In the hour or so I watched them I don't think they did a complete roll over but it sure looked like they were trying their best. They certainly got to more than 45 degrees a couple of times! It was a show that to be honest I would have paid money to watch. I was told that they "Practiced" that way quite often.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Cape Disappointment is where the Coast Guards Lifeboat training facility is....... 

That is the Columbia River Bar on an average day......

The boat on display at the museum? it has done over 30 complete athwartship rolls and 4-5 end to end rolls, that is the surf they train in....

They make TV shows about it for Danger TV...

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

well.......I guess they will be an interesting log when I get to them ;)    being a Billing Boats fan,  I knew of the larger kit.........I had no idea that they also produced  the smaller kit.  I'd have to pull it back out to confirm it.....wait.......... yes......there is one motor in the kit,  as well as most of the running hardware.  there are no servos though,  so I will have to buy the rest of what I need.  for the price of the kit......it was a very good buy  ;)   this will be my first dealing with an ABS hull....it's about 28 inches long.

1093795493_1.jpg.31275fd77eb9206bf73165f6f35880db.jpg

506277500_2.jpg.89dde20e21177adb9af08eeb80a3229e.jpg

the kit was produced around 1982......the smaller kit around 1990.  the smaller kit lacks the wood framework that the larger one has.....that puzzles me somewhat,  since it too can be made into an R/C

the Missouri and the Shokaku can be motorized,  but as static models,  I think it would take away from their looks,  so I have no plans to do it......I do have motors though.  the sad thing is that there is no favorite body of water that I frequent.......other than my older son's pool {if he continues to put it up every year}.  

I took a look through the KG 200 book to see if there were any captured B 25's,  since the British ....and even the Russians had them during WWII,  but I found no records of one.  a further search didn't find one either......B 17's and B 24's were the most common to be captured.  time period might be a factor,  but I think the B 25 was more commonly used during the war with Japan.

the Mo

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

11 hours ago, Egilman said:

Cape Disappointment is where the Coast Guards Lifeboat training facility is.......

Not always

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/Ocean-Beach-SF-big-waves-US-Coast-Guard-boats-13472152.php

Not as fancy as your YouTube videos, but scrolling though the first 7 pictures forms an idea of what I watched, only the boats were 44 footers.

Dave Rogers of Pacifica captured two 47-foot-long motor lifeboats being tossed in big waves at San Francisco's Ocean Beach during a training by the U.S. Coast Guard's Golden Gate Station on Dec. 13, 2018. This was a standard training.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

10 hours ago, lmagna said:

Not always

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/Ocean-Beach-SF-big-waves-US-Coast-Guard-boats-13472152.php

Not as fancy as your YouTube videos, but scrolling though the first 7 pictures forms an idea of what I watched, only the boats were 44 footers.

https://www.forcecom.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/FORCECOM-UNITS/TraCen-Yorktown/Training/National-Motor-Lifeboat-School/

That's where you go to get your training and qualifications to be on a MLB before you are assigned to an individual station.

Every station where the need for MLB's exists has a training schedule brother, that's why they are there.... And the best place to train is in the environment your going to work in....

Of course they train there they have skills that need to remain sharp....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

12 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

B 17's and B 24's were the most common to be captured.  time period might be a factor,  but I think the B 25 was more commonly used during the war with Japan.

Yeah B-17's and B-24's were more common especially after the start of '44... They had several flying examples of just about every aircraft we flew in combat both british and american including a Corsair and a B-26.... There are reports of P-47's and P-51's actually used by the Luftwaffe in combat towards the end of the war.....

But no records at all of a captured B-25.... (or Lancasters for that matter)

The germans had a squadron known as Zirkus Rosarius, that was devoted to flying captured enemy combat aircraft to the various units involved in air combat for pilot familiarization and to expose their deficiencies.....

Zirkus Rosarius (also known as the Wanderzirkus Rosarius) was an Erprobungskommando-style special test unit of the Luftwaffe, specifically of the Luftwaffe High Command, tasked with testing captured British and American aircraft, all of which were repainted in German markings. The purpose of testing allied aircraft was to discover any strengths or vulnerabilities in their design or performance. This information was highly useful in enabling German service personnel to develop tactics designed to counter strengths and exploit any vulnerabilities. The unit was formed by Theodor Rosarius in 1943 and was part of the 2./Versuchsverband Oberbefehlshaber der Luftwaffe. The Zirkus also toured operational airfields showing Luftwaffe pilots the captured aircraft and training them in techniques to counter these aircraft.  The Zirkus Rosarius seemed to have merited the use of its own Geschwaderkennung (Geschwader code) of "T9", with a few of the unit's aircraft coming from KG 200, which already used the "A3" identification code of that wing.

Quote comes from here.....

Quote:

that's an interesting bit of info......the book talks about the testing of the aircraft before putting them into service,  but I don't recall the name....I'll have to see if they mention it.   there are a few planes shown that are in the book........the B 17  {7+8}.....I believe that was either 'down 'n go' or 'Mr Five by Five'.....

...tell ya better when I browse :)   there were no C47's that I saw,  but the two P 38's are in the book too........funny that they are in the same order as the book.  the first one stopped for fuel at the wrong airfield........the second one is a brand new plane...just put into service.  the KG 200 book does mention that the pilot was later tried for his crime  ;)    the book doesn't list any P 51's though.......but I'm sure there were some......they were a common aircraft used this period.    the KG 200's purpose was to run secret mission,  reconnaissance,  and transport saboteurs and spies to their locations / missions. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I have an update for the bomber.....really not much left to add to her now.  all of the glass has been framed out.....even the top turret glass which had no frame to speak of...no detail.  so I gave it some,  added the guns and cemented it in place.  the rest of the glass,  with the exception of the waist gunner's glass has bee added,  along with the gear wheels.

173821232_1.jpg.7d0b8e728bdb09c7e99b6199d187ee6e.jpg

794446952_2.jpg.dc522b0695d3895fe4ef1f1ed2c8f389.jpg

1701418276_3.jpg.bfd8a019b45c13ab0487406fb1ae9580.jpg

the tail gunner's glass didn't have framing either...that was also ad-libed.

129131448_4.jpg.8a530d600f822837f2e3b1fa59925284.jpg

130791215_5.jpg.4ca4f094aa446051368acc5267b55bc0.jpg

722092380_6.jpg.e247a326b908c36adc5d58bf0b04c0cf.jpg

since the model is a tail dragger,  I will make a base for it.  it might wait though till I can get some decals for her.  until then  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very tidy paitwork Denis,   especially around the glazing,    how are you doing my friend   hope your health is holding up.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Very nice brother, excellent work on the framework...

Although the top turret was a solid, built up plexiglass part and would show no framework at all..... (except where the insulators were mounted around the gun barrels)

Decided on what decals your going to get yet?

Quote:

Looks great Popeye!  Just out of curiosity, for this kits and others where there is a propensity to be a tail dragger, do the instructions advise of that fact?  Just wondering how one can tell when that happens.

Apparently one of the Zoukei-Mura kits I own can be a tail dragger, and they mention this fact a number of pages into the manual (good idea to skim manuals before starting I'm realizing!).  I think a different Z-M kit has a clever way to reallocate weight distribution by using cast metal parts in a particular section of the fuselage or wings to get better weight distribution.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

45 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looks great Popeye!  Just out of curiosity, for this kits and others where there is a propensity to be a tail dragger, do the instructions advise of that fact?  Just wondering how one can tell when that happens.

Apparently one of the Zoukei-Mura kits I own can be a tail dragger, and they mention this fact a number of pages into the manual (good idea to skim manuals before starting I'm realizing!).  I think a different Z-M kit has a clever way to reallocate weight distribution by using cast metal parts in a particular section of the fuselage or wings to get better weight distribution.

I once had an F117  Stealth  kit  same issue - tail sitter  - do you think I could find some  (fitting) nose weight for it.😁

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I have a Tamiya He 219 with a weight that the cockpit and nose gear are built around.

If you are lucky, the kit instructions may tell you about how much to add, but most, especially older ones, don't. :(

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

no.....a lot of them don't.  there are some that do and give the balance weight requirements for it........some will even supply the weight.  it's a safe bet,  that if the model has a nose gear,  it will be tail heavy.   there are two options......you can add the weight,  but to do that much of the model must be at least dry fitted together,  to determine the balance points ,  and then figure how much will be needed.  the other option is either a stand,  or a display base.  I've done both the stand and the base......I prefer the base better.   in the case of the PBJ,  the kit supplies a saw horse to prop the tail up.  for this kit,  if I left the bomb bay doors open,  in side where the bombs would be {there aren't any},  there is a slot where a stand could be used.  the kit doesn't supply a stand,  so if one plans to use it,  it would need to be scratch built.

the PBJ had framework on the top turret,  so I added it on this one as well.  I haven't seen a turret that didn't possess some sort of framework.  I haven't really looked into the decal dilemma......  I will need to look into the "Raben's Ravens" decals sooner or later......so I may as well do it then {I'll slip them in the overall cost somehow :ph34r:}  gonna enjoy that project ;)   for this B 25,  as mentioned,  it will be a simple generic plane.......I didn't have a subject in mind when I started to build it,  and still didn't have one in mind when I painted it.

how am I doing?  pretty good actually.......no......I'm Covid free.  I'd know by now  ;)    I do have a date for the vaccine......the first of April.  I can't wait to get it........the admiral's is on the third.......her birthday.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

the PBJ had framework on the top turret

I stand corrected.....

The PBJ when first built exclusively used the Bendix 250CE-3 & 4 top turret, it was a partial framed turret....

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/AirGunnery/TURRETS5.html (scroll down for the top turret)

There are lots of shots of B-25's with non-framed Everson, (which most of them had when built) or restored postwar with the readily available surplus Martin B-26 top turrets, but the Bendix was also manufactured as a wartime field replacement......

Nevertheless, the original PBJ had a framed forward top turret....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

....would have saved me a lot of extra work  ;) ........although this particular model wasn't intended to be a PBJ.  there are only a few parts left to add to the model........should be finished soon :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the plane is fully assembled now.......all it needs are decals.

1798277354_1.jpg.d1b44d2c09de82c46faca22b41c5500d.jpg

of course,  I can't put 'er on a shelf looking like this.......now Can I?  so,  I made a base for it.  one I made earlier looked good......different from the asphalt black ones I usually make.   my attempt to make a concrete tarmac.......started of using too thin sheet wood and splitting as I scribed lines on it

2048286835_2.jpg.e464f777f7e1ebfff4d84f138474f33d.jpg

....did some patch work there.....

804556763_3.jpg.89184f902775801ed9efd30a6aba26ad.jpg

it was then painted a tan color,  and then dry brushed with flat med gray......and then a flat black,  using a small piece of rag.

348948387_4.jpg.08d13673a13cb7be62de174ee4ec731e.jpg

once dry,  the plane was cemented on it.

1776770833_5.jpg.81ebeef806b0d4a415662681336e5073.jpg

1474759915_6.jpg.8f548d322d0a5a912f245fe28764d14f.jpg

400733504_7.jpg.95e4d4b27de55969898776e4fdc707bd.jpg

1831895639_8.jpg.702aabd61a8d2b1e4262d60cf3aaae33.jpg

finished for now,  but not forgotten  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very Nice work mate............bring on the decs......we will be waiting  no fear about that  no pressure.😊

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nice work Denis. Hard to believe it is 1/72nd instead of 1/48th like your other aircraft.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Good job, Denis. Decals can be a bear to find/acquire the ones you really want.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

thanks gents.......although I've yet to find one that has this paint scheme.   I did see one that has red and white striped rudders,  but that's more of a British trait.  that's why I was just going to do a generic decal job on her.   I was not really happy with the fit of the kit,  but I'm not one to trash a kit for that reason.  I do recall these being a decent kit.......after all,  this is an older Airfix kit.   when and if I do decal her,  I will definitely post additional pictures.  the base is small enough to allow me to add them without it making it hard to do.....but it lends enough ballast to keep her on all three wheels ;)   it was still a fun kit to build.........there are others in the series.......even a couple jet aircraft.

good color for a Doolittle plane..........sad that there were none that match the description

tru_hornet_01.jpg.039154758694d78da762b6ccfb3f6cf8.jpg

found this picture in my travels...........very cool! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

dunno........I'd love to start the Raben's Ravens squadron,  but I also want to finish off a couple of these lingering projects I have sitting around.   I think I have at least 15 or more to choose from  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On 2/10/2021 at 12:25 PM, popeye the sailor said:

dunno........I'd love to start the Raben's Ravens squadron,  but I also want to finish off a couple of these lingering projects I have sitting around.   I think I have at least 15 or more to choose from  ;) 

Whenever I start to think about how many projects I have "in progress" I always feel better when I remember that there's this Popeye guy out there with a lot more :) 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I think I hold the record.......I keep trying to get an idea of how many.......but I always lose track :wacko:  then I think of what I have now in the stash....I try not to though.......then it causes confusion and wanting desire.  I think that's why we have stashes in the first place.......the desire to build all those models.  I guess you can say that I went 'real time' with my desires ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: