I have a Billing Boats "Dragen" (kit number 582) that I purchased on eBay knowing all the pieces of the fitting kit were not there. I ordered the few pieces and have them however, I cannot locate the brass keel piece. But I can make one out of wood. I have the dimensions and I'd like to make it out of a basswood block. The dimensions are 1-1/2" H x 9" long x 1/2" W. Does anyone know where I can purchase a basswood block that size? Our only hobby place is HobbyLobby and they have balsa but not Basswood. Thanks for any assistance.

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

I'm having trouble visualizing  dimensions of this. 

Would 1.5 w by 1/2 h  by 9" l work?

Hobby Lobby online has  1/2 x 3 x 24

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

https://gregdorrance.com/product-category/carving-wood-tupelo-bass-bird-duck-kits-rough-outs-cut-outs-plates-cottonwood-bark-eggs/wood-for-carving/basswood-carving-blocks-1-2-thick/

Getting hung up on your term "block"  I went hunting in decoy carving supplies.   There is one there 1/2" x 4" x12"  for<$5.00

Trying to imagine what part this is?  

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Midwest Products produces a wide selection of milled basswood for modeling, running from small dimension strips and thin sheets, through large blocks the size of a brick and larger.  https://midwestproducts.com/collections/basswood These can usually be found in the lumber section of any Ace Hardware store and many other chain hardware stores, as well as most any craft store, such as Michaels. Midwest often has a good size display rack in such places stocked with a wide selection. Sourcing basswood is no problem at all. You should be able to find something very close to what you require easily at a local store. Importantly, buying "hands on" will allow you to select a premium piece with the grain just the way you want it, rather than taking your chances ordering mail order.

Even Walmart has it:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/MIDWEST-PRODUCTS-4422-BASSWOOD-BLOCK-2X4X12/36775784

MIDWEST PRODUCTS 4422 BASSWOOD BLOCK 2X4X12

Edited by Bob Cleek

If this is for a deck house, why not build it using framing and planks?

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Assuming this is not a pond yacht, but rather a static model, you can go to your local HD or Lowes or any lumber yard and pick up a small piece of poplar for $1 or $2.  It can be shaped as easily as basswood.  I used this material for a rather complex schooner keel with no problems.  As it will be painted using bass wood or poplar should not make any difference in the final appearance.  Below is the keel for Boothbay65 before installing and afterwards with painting done.

Allan

1531082054_Keel1.thumb.jpg.53095cc9e3167cee31313aa426830659.jpg

1154139368_Hullpainted.thumb.jpg.3704095cabdf6fc2a526a9f0aa861d63.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks for all the replies. I never knew that HD, Lowes or Ace hardware sold wood block. I'll give them a try today before going on line. The wood block is for fabricating the brass keel piece on the bottom of Billing Boats Dragen. It is item F443 in their fitting kit. billing boats.com experienced level, page 3, Dragen, click on plans in top right corner and scroll to last page for the F443 brass keel illustration.

Edited by acaron41120

Allen

You can also find basswood blocks at any store that carries wood carving supplies. It is used in woodcarving. Look for a Woodcraft outlet.

Since you are looking for a piece that is 1-1/2" High x 9" Long x 1/2" Wide, could you not make out of two or three pieces of (3/4" or 1/2") Tall x 1/2" wide x 9" long bass wood?  I would that that would be easy enough to source.  

Okay! I found what I need at Michaels. Will just have to trace the pattern on is and I'll be set. Thanks everyone for all the help.

Allen