Hasegawa 1/350 IJN AIRCRAFT CARRIER AKAGI Detail Up Parts Super DETAIL-UP PARTS SUPER # 40071 For sale?

Hi All!

I figured I'd ask if anyone is thinking or willing to sell the Hasegawa #40071 Detail-Up Parts Super set?

I'm planning on building the 1/350 Akagi, but this item is long sold-out online (except for one seller on Ebay in Korea...)

anyone not planning on using one in their collection? Or am I completely out of luck?

Thanks in advance!

Best bet is eBay.  Sometimes they pop up on Amazon too.  I purchased the Akagi with the three (or maybe four, I forget) detail sets from a MSW member a couple of years ago, but I remember looking for the sets back then and seeing them pop up occasionally - sometimes for very big bucks unfortunately.  I'd pick it up wherever in the world you can find it if the price is right.  

Put in an eBay saved search for it - a lot of Asian sellers end up listing kits and aftermarket for international sales.  Years ago I would never have bought things from overseas, but the past couple of years, I've managed to source a variety of kits and aftermarket from Japan, China, the UK, France, etc.  My current F4F-4 Wildcat build came from Greece of all places (under $50 with shipping for the kit and a bunch of aftermarket)!

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 3/12/2021 at 5:08 PM, CDW said:

I had two detail up sets but sold them about a year ago. Have you checked for vendors in Japan? It should turn up on Ebay eventually.

That's definitely the only place I've seen the set so far... but only from ONE vendor! They seem to have cornered the market right now!

Thanks for the reply!

On 3/12/2021 at 6:40 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

Best bet is eBay.  Sometimes they pop up on Amazon too.  I purchased the Akagi with the three (or maybe four, I forget) detail sets from a MSW member a couple of years ago, but I remember looking for the sets back then and seeing them pop up occasionally - sometimes for very big bucks unfortunately.  I'd pick it up wherever in the world you can find it if the price is right.  

Put in an eBay saved search for it - a lot of Asian sellers end up listing kits and aftermarket for international sales.  Years ago I would never have bought things from overseas, but the past couple of years, I've managed to source a variety of kits and aftermarket from Japan, China, the UK, France, etc.  My current F4F-4 Wildcat build came from Greece of all places (under $50 with shipping for the kit and a bunch of aftermarket)!

thanks LLM!

I've seen one vendor who seems to have cornered the market for this set on ebay!!

Just now, Cap'n Snack said:

That's definitely the only place I've seen the set so far... but only from ONE vendor! They seem to have cornered the market right now!

Thanks for the reply!

Generally speaking, I have had very good service when ordering items from Japan, but less than stellar service from Korea. Not sure why, but it seems to take a lot longer period of time to receive goods from Korea. I often receive items from Japan in less than two weeks time, Korea sometimes two months!

An a separate note, each the several photo etch frets/sets contained in that one detail set are available separately. Try to find a close up photo of the set box top. It shows the photo etch fret numbers contained in the set. Maybe Mike will take a look at the box his set came in and list the items numbers of the frets contained in the set for you. 

Edited by CDW

I think the A, B, C and Detail Up Super sets (not to mention, the separate sets for the wooden deck and General Jackstay) all differ as to what parts of the build they cover (no, or at least minimal, overlap among the various sets):

https://www.ipmsusa.org/reviews2/ships/details/hasegawa_350_akagi-details/hasegawa_350_akagi-details.htm

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

20 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I think the A, B, C and Detail Up Super sets (not to mention, the separate sets for the wooden deck and General Jackstay) all differ as to what parts of the build they cover (no, or at least minimal, overlap among the various sets):

https://www.ipmsusa.org/reviews2/ships/details/hasegawa_350_akagi-details/hasegawa_350_akagi-details.htm

This seems to be my understanding as well – there's the 'limited edition super set' and then there's sets 'A, B and C' sold separately... as well as LLM's mentioned wooden deck and jackstays sets. The 'super set' has three frets inside... that i believe are listed as 'A,B andC' which adds to my confusion.

I'm pretty sure I need 'em all!

On 3/17/2021 at 9:50 PM, CDW said:

Generally speaking, I have had very good service when ordering items from Japan, but less than stellar service from Korea. Not sure why, but it seems to take a lot longer period of time to receive goods from Korea. I often receive items from Japan in less than two weeks time, Korea sometimes two months!

An a separate note, each the several photo etch frets/sets contained in that one detail set are available separately. Try to find a close up photo of the set box top. It shows the photo etch fret numbers contained in the set. Maybe Mike will take a look at the box his set came in and list the items numbers of the frets contained in the set for you. 

If I'm not wrong, there's the 'limited edition super set' and then there's sets 'A, B and C' sold separately...  the 'super set' has three frets inside... that i believe are listed as 'A,B and C' which has caused me some confusion.

Thanks for the heads-up on shipping from Korea... I'm not in a rush, I'm just collecting everything I'll need for the Akagi; it's my dream kit!

Here are pictures of the aftermarket I have for the kit:

Detail Up Super:

IMG_0828.JPG.9e2fb2ca229af923598c0bd76ad1641f.JPG

The individual detail sets A, B and C (QG26 - QG28):

IMG_0829.JPG.fcabedb416b6b1ae4743b99a39754675.JPG

General jackstay (QG29) and deck (QG25):

IMG_0830.JPG.eb4ec0b4fe5ec17015af6bcd1d271c48.JPG

As you can see, the Detail Up Super is completely different from the other three sets.  I would say that if you are planning to build the Akagi and really want to build it out into its full impressive glory, you kinda need that set.  It has all the intricate bridge-like lattice work under the deck which are a great detail on the model.  That, along with the giant hinomaru on the deck and general reverence for the ship, is what sold me on the model.

I had also randomly come across these aftermarket sets for fairly low prices so picked them up as well.  Couple of Eduard PE (53047 and 53063) sets.  My guess is that most are duplicative of the Hasegawa sets, but maybe some are better, some are in addition to the Hasegawa sets, always nice to have spares, etc.  Also, I picked up those Master barrel sets.  It's been a while since I thought about this kit, but I believe that the kit and Hasegawa and Eduard aftermarket sets do not replace the standard plastic barrels on the kit.  

IMG_0831.JPG.2a434a9f62881bd67f9c4978221c22be.JPG

Planes Aftermarket:  I didn't take pictures as the boxes are elsewhere, but you can also add additional plane sets:  QG30 for carrier planes, and QG40 for ship-borne seaplanes.  Infini also makes a really nice PE upgrade set for the planes in IMP 35051RI.  

Hope that helps, I know I was really confused and assumed that the Detail Up Super included everything.  Personally, I find Hasegawa's approach of breaking up the aftermarket sets into multiple sets some of which have the same names (like Fret A) very confusing.  Fujimi is almost worse with their G-up lines of aftermarket.  I much prefer the approach of aftermarket companies like Pontos, Infini, Fivestar, etc. which allow you to buy all upgrades in one box.

What I don't know is whether Hasegawa plans to re-release these aftermarket sets in the future.  Might be worth trying to track them down when you can just in case they don't, or they end up overhauling the kit to the point where the new aftermarket doesn't work with the version of the model you have.

Mike

On 3/19/2021 at 9:59 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

Here are pictures of the aftermarket I have for the kit:

Detail Up Super:

IMG_0828.JPG.9e2fb2ca229af923598c0bd76ad1641f.JPG

The individual detail sets A, B and C (QG26 - QG28):

IMG_0829.JPG.fcabedb416b6b1ae4743b99a39754675.JPG

General jackstay (QG29) and deck (QG25):

IMG_0830.JPG.eb4ec0b4fe5ec17015af6bcd1d271c48.JPG

As you can see, the Detail Up Super is completely different from the other three sets.  I would say that if you are planning to build the Akagi and really want to build it out into its full impressive glory, you kinda need that set.  It has all the intricate bridge-like lattice work under the deck which are a great detail on the model.  That, along with the giant hinomaru on the deck and general reverence for the ship, is what sold me on the model.

I had also randomly come across these aftermarket sets for fairly low prices so picked them up as well.  Couple of Eduard PE (53047 and 53063) sets.  My guess is that most are duplicative of the Hasegawa sets, but maybe some are better, some are in addition to the Hasegawa sets, always nice to have spares, etc.  Also, I picked up those Master barrel sets.  It's been a while since I thought about this kit, but I believe that the kit and Hasegawa and Eduard aftermarket sets do not replace the standard plastic barrels on the kit.  

IMG_0831.JPG.2a434a9f62881bd67f9c4978221c22be.JPG

Planes Aftermarket:  I didn't take pictures as the boxes are elsewhere, but you can also add additional plane sets:  QG30 for carrier planes, and QG40 for ship-borne seaplanes.  Infini also makes a really nice PE upgrade set for the planes in IMP 35051RI.  

Hope that helps, I know I was really confused and assumed that the Detail Up Super included everything.  Personally, I find Hasegawa's approach of breaking up the aftermarket sets into multiple sets some of which have the same names (like Fret A) very confusing.  Fujimi is almost worse with their G-up lines of aftermarket.  I much prefer the approach of aftermarket companies like Pontos, Infini, Fivestar, etc. which allow you to buy all upgrades in one box.

What I don't know is whether Hasegawa plans to re-release these aftermarket sets in the future.  Might be worth trying to track them down when you can just in case they don't, or they end up overhauling the kit to the point where the new aftermarket doesn't work with the version of the model you have.

Fantastic help, LLM, thanks so much!

It confirms my concerns; the new Hasegawa Akagi is on its way to me now, along with Detail Set 'B'. I wanted to get the Super set as soon as possible, as it seems to be the toughest one to find, other than the seller in Korea I mentioned (although now a Japanese seller has popped up with one as well for roughly the same price...) The other bits seem a BIT easier to find... and I'm not sure they'll rerelease any of the sets, so better to just get these ones as I can afford them.

Thanks again for your generous time!

Sure thing, good luck!

Mike

Not to add to the pile of aftermarket, but take a look at this guy's build - you can see why getting your hands on the Super Detail set is going to be worthwhile.  PE experience a must!

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/t/185042.aspx?page=-1

One thing he mentioned is that he purchased a laser card set from some guy in Korea to help supplement and detail his build.  Some of the details really look incredible.  I'll probably pick it up once I figure out what is involved.

https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=jhchi1&logNo=220890705230&proxyReferer=&proxyReferer=https:%2F%2Fblog.naver.com%2Fjhchi1%2F220890705230

Mike

its a lovely build but to small a scale for me, and  i dont want a 1/72 carrier, although i have looked at 1/96 from Sirmar many times

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

There's a 1/200 from DeAgostini (I think) out there as well.  The 1/350 is a pretty big model - not up to the big behemoths you build Kevin, but fairly sizable :)  The 1/96 must be a monster!

Mike

On 3/26/2021 at 2:11 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

Not to add to the pile of aftermarket, but take a look at this guy's build - you can see why getting your hands on the Super Detail set is going to be worthwhile.  PE experience a must!

Man I wish the photos on that site enlarged more.  The detail on that model is insane!  Just stunning detail when looking under the deck at  the structures  at the bow and stern.

Alan

On 3/26/2021 at 2:11 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

One thing he mentioned is that he purchased a laser card set from some guy in Korea to help supplement and detail his build.  Some of the details really look incredible.  I'll probably pick it up once I figure out what is involved.

https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=jhchi1&logNo=220890705230&proxyReferer=&proxyReferer=https:%2F%2Fblog.naver.com%2Fjhchi1%2F220890705230

Stunning work there! It's been my dream to build this thing for years, so i wanna do it right... and I KNOW it's going to go slow. But that's what I want... great inspiration, thanks!

I've got the 1:250 DeAgostini Akagi kit for a potential future build, a composite model of wood, cast metal, and photo etch. Downside is the sheer size of it when finished. I am seriously considering the 1:700 Akagi kit and detail sets instead as it makes for a more practical model for display. Also, it's less than half the cost of the 1:350 with almost just as much detail packed in (with the update sets).

At 1:250, that's a big model!  I have two of the Akagi 1/700 models in the stash.  First is the Hasegawa 220 3-deck carrier from the pre-war days.  Cool in that it comes with biplanes.  You can also get a wooden deck (Hasegawa QG24), extra biplanes (Hasegawa QG23), and photo etch sets from Eduard (17010) and Tom's Model Works (#774).

The other I have is the WWII version from Fujimi.  Hunter makes decks and masks, but some really nice upgrades come from Rainbow.  There are two:  Rb7099 and Rb7100.  Here is Rb7099 - hard to believe you can add all this detail in 1/700 😮

image.png.33a122f430e2183ec426496e7bdb913a.png

image.png.48655f6a2e264916c8945c3cbc87c159.png

image.png.3f50225fc24f5f3ab17b1e4dff365a82.png

Rb7100 in particular looks really interesting!  I don't know that I've ever seen a 1/700 kit that allows you to put together the interior of a ship like this.  I first bought the pre-war three-deck Hasegawa kit since I have the 1/350 Hasegawa kit that is the wartime version, but after seeing this set from Rainbow, I couldn't pass up on getting the Fujimi kit.

image.png.2972307d9b32e644647d8cd84483b17a.png

image.png.95ba948959c281277784fea3ad9f7c16.png

Mike

I ordered the Rainbow sets off of eBay from a Chinese seller (globaltoy).  I've placed a few orders with them and they have been very good.  Good prices when it comes to 1/700 detail sets from Five Star, Artist Hobby, Rainbow, etc.  You can find some of the 1/700 aftermarket from places like Freetime Hobbies, but nowhere near the selection as what you can get from Asia.  

You probably know of this site already, but 1999.co.jp is a great resource when looking for ship models and the various aftermarket.

Mike

Yeah, hang in there.  Maybe set up some alerts on eBay and just be patient.  

For what it's worth, I ordered that laser card upgrade set from the gentleman in Korea that I posted above.  Waiting for the payment to clear, but looks like that will be a really nice add-on.  I can share my thoughts on it when it arrives, but based on the other build log I linked above, it looks fantastic.

Mike

On 4/8/2021 at 2:22 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

I can share my thoughts on it when it arrives, but based on the other build log I linked above, it looks fantastic.

Thanks LLM! I'll keep my eyes peeled... jesus, just typing that made me really examine that statement.

Peeled eyes? Gross.

I contacted Harry for the Akagi LCP detail set, and it arrived today safely and soundly.  It's amazing how the LCP process can cut (burn?) the tiny holes into the paper to represent the holes in the girder support beams.   Very cool stuff!  Easy transaction, and Harry uses PayPal so it's quite easy to make payment.

I took pictures, but the link above has better pictures of exactly what you would get.  Highly recommend the set if you are looking for added detail for your Akagi.  To start the process, just send Harry an email.  I used Google translate to send him an email in Korean, but he was fine with english so that's how we corresponded thereafter.  

Mike