HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Bubblehead - 1:48

Hi no, I haven't given up. I re-did the whales six times and was still not satisfied but moved on. This is my redo and practice one, have decided to build another.

Started the lining off. 

This is the part I really wanted to learn as Mr. Passaro stated in his great planking tutorial on all the compromises having to do when not knowing the proper way of planking the hull and I have done them all, thought he was describing me.

Thank you, Mr. Passaro, for your planking tutorial simplified things for me. I have finished ticking the port side and almost the starboard just have to get out the tick fan.

Tom

DSCN0016.JPG

DSCN0017.JPG

DSCN0018.JPG

DSCN0019.JPG

DSCN0020.JPG

Also, even thin tape is too wide for the purpose. One can move the thread with white glue incrementally by moistening a finger and rolling the thread as needed. See the planking tutorial by David Antscherl on this site.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thank you I'll give it a try, but doesn't the white glue leave the thread stiff at the ribs and leave the thread straight at that point and not flowing around? Sitting here thinking about this and just had a thought. When I make sails I use fabric glue cut about 50% along the  folded edges because I can't fold, hold and sew at the same time and make it right so I glue them down and the fabric has been left all floppy just like no glue was used. I think I'll give it a try and see if it will stick to the wood.Either way I'll see what works for me.

• 5 months later...

Mine was 5/16" at its widest. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thank you Frank for the encouragement. I will be finishing it mostly, put the decks in but I think that will be all.  The hull is a mess. the gentle S at bow turned into a giant slalom and I got lost in the planking count. By the time I found the mistake it was too late besides the mistake started with the whales.

It's OK because I really would like to learn Chuck's way of doing hull planking, lining off, and things. That is another thing I didn't follow the tic marks. I keep thing 1/4" when the plank was less according to the tic marks. Don't know what I was thinking couldn't follow my own game plan.

Thank you Frank for your excellent tutorial on hull planking. I hope I will get the big picture next time

Tom

More than once I’ve ripped off lots of planks and started over, and sometimes started over again. Don’t give up on it. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 1 month later...

As you can  see what a mess. I sanded through at the stern, there's a hole at the bow which I didn't see untell l I sanded. Gaps everywhere. The dry fit would be good but when I added the it seemed not to fit right. I think it was part me and part medium supper glue I used. I think next time I will try thin supper glue if it doesn't run all over the place. The big problem is on the bottom which is a grate mess it looks like only two or three planks.  The line out looked good but I didn't follow the game plan. I think because in the lining off none of the planks were 1/4" wide so as I was planking I changed it dumb.

Anyway I"m moveing with the build and I will follow the game plan the next time and use thin supper glue or ti bond and wate.

TJ

DSCN0042.thumb.JPG.584ef179416bee16647d1ef98f86b382.JPGDSCN0043.thumb.JPG.9b81a93782f4dbd022251a5272578bae.JPGSternLights3.thumb.JPG.513fe6128b2ea54929ef8908fd4860a0.JPGDSCN0037.thumb.JPG.b8d0899d8c7bf94a7aa83f3718ca7750.JPGStarted chapter three

I lined up the transom windows It Took a bit but finally everything looked good. port and starboard measure the same distance from the hull out. From the transom to the lower counter measures the same and looks good.

That is it looks good to me. I will make the final window adjustment after gluing the transom on.

Tom

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/3/2023 at 5:03 PM, BubbleHead said:

As you can  see what a mess. I sanded through at the stern, there's a hole at the bow which I didn't see untell l I sanded. Gaps everywhere. The dry fit would be good but when I added the it seemed not to fit right. I think it was part me and part medium supper glue I used. I think next time I will try thin supper glue if it doesn't run all over the place. The big problem is on the bottom which is a grate mess it looks like only two or three planks.  The line out looked good but I didn't follow the game plan. I think because in the lining off none of the planks were 1/4" wide so as I was planking I changed it dumb.

Anyway I"m moveing with the build and I will follow the game plan the next time and use thin supper glue or ti bond and wate.

TJ

Hi Tom,
That's why I refuse to use superglue and still use old fashioned PVA wood glue... Although it takes me months more to plank the hull,I won't make a mess as is my experience with superglue.
No need sanding PVA glue away, simply rub it away with a moist cotton swap...any residu that's still left can be sanded away, with FINE GRIT sandpaper...
Perhaps it's possible to chisel away the effected planks and replace them?
I did so as well one or two times with planks that weren't to my liking, though at a very early stage, almost immediately after planking them and noticing they weren't in the correct line or path...

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

I’d stick with the medium CA, the thin stuff makes a bigger mess and gives zero time to adjust. The CA applicators with the super thin nozzle and spatula I use makes it much easier to control. I’d never be able to plank any other way, Frank is doing a great job with PVA and I did ok with medium CA, obviously both work. Don’t be reluctant to remove and replace, it’s worth the extra time an effort in the long run 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you Glenn. I have torn off several rows of planking and replaced them sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. I will do another Winnie when I'm finished with this one. Practices, practices, practices.

I have never seen the  CA applicators with the super thin nozzle and spatula you are discussing. Where might I find this if it's OK to ask?

TJ

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, missed seeing this. I use Bob Smith Industries CA products including their applicators. Here is the standard tip, there is also a fine tip version Here, I use both depending on the job. They go bad after a while (weeks) so I toss them and load another, keeping the tip clear and storing upright prolongs their use by a lot, I made a little stand. 

Regards,

Glenn

With these I just cut off a tiny portion of the tip when that happens, which wouldn’t as long as I remember to store them tip up and gently squeeze the tip clear every day.  

It takes very little CA to hold, hard to convince myself of that sometimes. 

Regards,

Glenn