HMS Beagle by Penfold - OcCre - 1/60

2 hours ago, robert952 said:

Just now jumping on board this log.  I appreciate the details in this log.  Also, thanks to those contributing their experience and tips.  

Nice looking ship.  As you said, interesting history to go along with it. 

Thank you, and welcome aboard.

looking great, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

A question occurred to me as I was looking through the instructions this evening, and that is why isn’t the name of the ship emblazoned anywhere on the ship. Ordinarily wouldn’t we expect it to be across the transom?

Penfold

The short answer is that ordinarily you would not see the name anywhere on a Royal Navy vessel until more modern times.

The Admiralty did not allow names on their vessels with the exception of between 1780 and 1790.   I have seen two or three contemporary models outside this time period, including the Bellona 1760 that did in fact have a name on the counter. Presumably not having the name had to do with minimizing information available to enemy nations.  As she was built as a Cherokee-class 10 gun brig sloop for the Royal Navy perhaps Beagle, while not a warship in later years, continued to follow this edict throughout her life.  I realize we see a number of kits that have names on the stern, but with the exception of that 10 year span this was not normally the case in real life.  Note that when they were on the stern they were painted (not carved letters) and usually, if not always, on the upper counter which are part of the stern timbers.   There were also specifications on the sizes of the letters that varied over that 10 year period.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

6 hours ago, allanyed said:

Penfold

The short answer is that ordinarily you would not see the name anywhere on a Royal Navy vessel until more modern times.

The Admiralty did not allow names on their vessels with the exception of between 1780 and 1790.   I have seen two or three contemporary models outside this time period, including the Bellona 1760 that did in fact have a name on the counter. Presumably not having the name had to do with minimizing information available to enemy nations.  As she was built as a Cherokee-class 10 gun brig sloop for the Royal Navy perhaps Beagle, while not a warship in later years, continued to follow this edict throughout her life.  I realize we see a number of kits that have names on the stern, but with the exception of that 10 year span this was not normally the case in real life.  Note that when they were on the stern they were painted (not carved letters) and usually, if not always, on the upper counter which are part of the stern timbers.   There were also specifications on the sizes of the letters that varied over that 10 year period.   

Allan

Well blow me sideways!!! Who knew?

I was under a total misapprehension there then.

Thanks again for sharing the knowledge👍

31 minutes ago, Penfold said:

Thanks again for sharing the knowledge👍

Penfold,

Thank you for the compliment. 😀   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 1 month later...

Hi Penfold,

You've made a very nice job of that small boat, I know how difficult they can be.  The whole thing is starting to take shape, you're doing some good work there.  I'm watching with interest :) 

Regards

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

Penfold,

Your workmanship continues to be very neat and solid, thank you for sharing with all of us.    Just as an FYI, the tholes on ships boats did not look like the OcCre design nor were they located as shown.  For double banked there would be a pair for every thwart and for single banked the tholes would alternate port/starboard for every other thwart.  The photo in the plans shows neither.  This is an easy fix even if OcCre got it wrong.  The sketches below show single banked with six thwarts and double banked with five thwarts.   

1413003990_Tholelocation.JPG.b2438c437e5ac53a03cb70d6ea54f0ae.JPG

Edited by allanyed

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

Penfold,

Your workmanship continues to be very neat and solid, thank you for sharing with all of us.    Just as an FYI, the tholes on ships boats did not look like the OcCre design nor were they located as shown.  For double banked there would be a pair for every thwart and for single banked the tholes would alternate port/starboard for every other thwart.  The photo in the plans shows neither.  This is an easy fix even if OcCre got it wrong.  One solution is in the sketch below as if it were single banked.  As you show five thwarts, double banked would make more sense 

1413003990_Tholelocation.JPG.b2438c437e5ac53a03cb70d6ea54f0ae.JPG

Hi Allan,

I was interested by your post regarding tholes and thwarts on small boats, though it took me awhile to understand as I'm not very knowledgeable in nautical terms.   I'm sure that what you say is absolutely correct and I don't mean to question your post, but to understand the true picture.  I'm also in the process of making these boats for the Beagle and in complete ignorance followed the instructions supplied by the manufacturer.  I must admit I've found the supplied instructions to be limited and lacking in many areas during my build.  I also make reference to the AotS for the Beagle, which I have taken to be far superior in detail.  It looks like the manufacturer has also followed the AotS of this occasion as the two appear to be consistent.  Looking at the 26ft yawl it shows the following:

image.png.326ead516b933a9d0aea2d40016e5027.png

Have I misunderstood the drawings.  It's difficult to know from the plan and side view if the tholes alternate.  To me it looks like they don't but I can fully understand why they should.  Has the AotS got it wrong?

The whaleboats show a single thole as follows:

image.png.c1e0b30de315faba9dbbfdc2e1fe08df.png

This also has the problem of not showing alternating tholes.

Best regards

Chimp

Hi Chimp

The drawings you show appear to be correct unlike the OcCre boat designs which are OcCre's own fantasy.  The drawings can be a little confusing.    The top view only shows half the boat so it was probably assumed by many that the tholes were the same on port and starboard which is not the case for single banked boats.  There are tholes on the alternate thwarts on the opposite side but are not always shown on the original drawings.   There are photos of contemporary models of ships' boats on the RMG Collections website that show how the tholes were arranged.  Lavery's Arming and Fitting and May's Boats of Men of War go into these kinds of details as well and are possibly two of the very best sources of information, including scantlings on everything from the ears to the futtocks.   

Allan 

133822780_TholelocationA.JPG.dca2d504a81599ac8b1a0d881a398133.JPG

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

Hi Chimp

The drawings you show appear to be correct unlike the OcCre boat designs which are OcCre's own fantasy.  The drawings can be a little confusing.    The top view only shows half the boat so it was probably assumed by many that the tholes were the same on port and starboard which is not the case for single banked boats.  There are tholes on the alternate thwarts on the opposite side but are not always shown on the original drawings.   There are photos of contemporary models of ships' boats on the RMG Collections website that show how the tholes were arranged.  Lavery's Arming and Fitting and May's Boats of Men of War go into these kinds of details as well and are possibly two of the very best sources of information, including scantlings on everything from the ears to the futtocks.   

Allan 

133822780_TholelocationA.JPG.dca2d504a81599ac8b1a0d881a398133.JPG

Hi Allan,

Many thanks for taking the time to add further clarification.  What you describe makes perfect sense, it's just unfortunate that the drawings make the issue a little confusing for people like myself with only little knowledge of such things.  I guess that's what we're all doing here, some teaching and some (if not all) learning.

Thanks again for clearing things up.

Chimp

Chimp,

I am glad to help.  

9 minutes ago, The Gimps Chimp said:

some teaching and some (if not all) learning.

That is soooooo true.  Never a day goes by that I do not see and/or learn something new, especially here at MSW.     

Allan

OK Gents, and thanks for this insight. I think I get it.

Are we saying that OcCre have it wrong in that they should be double banked, or should we have an extra thwart? 
Would they actually do an odd number of thwarts and single bank them. It seems to me that three on one side and two on the other might lead to a bit of going round in circles.

That said, I appreciate the limitation of scale here and putting the tholes in really was the fiddliest bit of doing that boat. I’m not going to change this boat, but I’d like to get it right in future.

6 hours ago, Penfold said:

Are we saying that OcCre have it wrong

Yes, but that is not surprising considering the brand. 

If there are odd number of thwarts the boat is likely double banked as you rightly point out, and there should normally be the same number of oars working on each side of the boat.   An exception at times were whalers in that some whale boats had two rowers on one side and three on the other.   But there are also double banked with an even number of thwarts.   The easiest way to tell is by the size of the boat.  If the breadth is sufficiently wide, it is likely double banked.    

This brings up a good point for which I have yet to find an answer based on contemporary information.  What is the minimum breadth for a double banked boat?  The larger boats were double banked, but "larger" is a relative term and not at all determinative.  

6 hours ago, Penfold said:

I’m not going to change this boat, but I’d like to get it right in future.

Good for you!!!   

Allan 

• 2 weeks later...

It’s great - a beautiful hull rendition.

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

I’ve been having a bit of a play and tinkered with doing the cannon…A5230FBB-B485-4351-8D95-97AC086F762E.thumb.jpeg.a152d22d660f86170e03e2bbe0766bd4.jpegF940ECB2-1575-4B87-AD4A-A9538DB3D411.thumb.jpeg.8410b0a59559a2e6aa23e6b85213702f.jpeg

I’mquite pleased how they turned out.

I mixed the bronze paint with a little black to dull it down a little, which worked well I feel.1643E812-DED1-4CA8-BB66-BF39405D9429.thumb.jpeg.9bc30432cfe6f3c8162ddb6658dce7b5.jpeg

…but I didn’t like how the guns just rested on the carriages, so I cut tiny pieces of wine bottle foil  to use as restraints (capsquare?)and painted them black.

The carronade looks good too. 
Did you know that the name ‘Carronade’ is derived from the Carron ironworks in Falkirk, where they were made.(Found this out doing family history research… one of my wife’s ancestors worked there!)

Edited by Penfold

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 11:48 AM, Penfold said:

Did you know that the name ‘Carronade’ is derived from the Carron ironworks in Falkirk, where they were made.(Found this out doing family history research… one of my wife’s ancestors worked there!)

That is very cool to be related.  There is a good history on the designer of the carronade and how it was then given to the Carron Company to actually be made. Carron did not design the gun but, but there is still some argument as to which of the individuals that claimed credit for the design actually did.   Most seem to favor General Robert Melville of the British Infantry.  He conceived the idea of the weapon in 1753 when stationed in Cork but did not propose the weapon to Carron until 1774.   Some believe the design came from Charles Gascoigne, a partner with Carron who tried without success to patent the design in his name as reported in 1779 in the Scots Magazine and Patrick Miller, an Edinburgh merchant whose claim many believe was self-generated.   There is a good bit more of detail on the history in Adrian Caruana's The History of English Sea Ordnance, Volume II, 161-164.   

Allan

• 4 months later...

Been a while since I posted… I’ve been procrastinating and putting off attaching the rudder by doing the Little boats and other bits for the main deck (I’ll post some pics later)

I’d also managed the brasswork on the stern and painted it.

So…. The rudder then!

AA9CF6C4-E25E-4B63-86FA-4628EFDCAA25.thumb.jpeg.10e3f546ee24b95806c4cdde09506de2.jpeg8119363E-0C91-4214-9F7D-AD6CD0F35438.thumb.jpeg.c801e17dd21780eca8e04f3153fc8490.jpeg6101357A-388C-4FE1-BAA7-A466256F1D0B.thumb.jpeg.2fc8d9d2d75d811532f9797644fa25ee.jpeg

I have fed so many tiny bits of brass nail to the carpet monster today 😔 and managed to break the rudder twice in the process, but for a first time fitting a rudder this way, I’m happy enough!

I don’t really get the brass wire work at the stern or what it’s supposed to represent, but it’s what the instructions say, and mine looks pretty close to the pics  on the instructions.

The gardens went in OK but needed some putty to fill underneath as the hull shape doesn’t really match the flatness of the die cast pieces. I also used putty to fill in the brass wire before painting. ( I Know… some touching up needed).

5 hours ago, Penfold said:

😔BI don’t really get the brass wire work at the stern or what it’s supposed to represent, but it’s what the instructions say, and mine looks pretty close to the pics  on the instructions.

While waiting for some glue to dry (I'm on my first planking on my Beagle) I was looking ahead in the instructions and noticed that too.

I don't get why they have to spend the effort on shaping them and then painting over them. But, as you said, it's in the instructions, so I guess that's how I'll do it!

First build: US Ranger - Corel

Second build: HMS Beagle - OcCre