Lowell Grand Banks Dory by lraymo - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24

Thanks for the glue removal info.  I got nervous about potentially separating some of the pieces in trying to remove blobs.  It looks a little better after the 3rd coat of paint.  I was really feeling good about my progress after I painted the cap rails and finished 3 of 4 oars (I broke an oar while sanding, so I really appreciated the spare in the kit!)

Felt good about the painting UNTIL I realized I painted the wrong side of one of the rails!  Oops!

One other question... any ideas on how to thread the THICK piece of rope thru the TINY holes in the becket?  I glued the end as instructed, but it still isn't thin enough to make it.  I may try to find some thinner "rope-like" string at the local hardware store!

840388483_caprail3_1000.jpg.77c61658033c42c3e41588dc47fdd90e.jpg

Oops!  Realized  my mistake when I placed the cap rails in the direction they'll need to go!  Back to painting!

319536667_caprail2_1000.jpg.e7ed2d405298150e2b59903c0a7183d2.jpg

Iraymo, you could try drilling out the holes to a larger size. You would want to test drill on a piece of scrap first to see if the "rope" will pass through. You can also try gluing the rope to a piece of wire or whatever that will pass through the hole taking the rope with it. 

Thanks Keith.  I tried using a needle and thread, tying the rope to the thread and passing the needle thru. It just pulled the thread off the rope!  Drilling is beyond my skill level at this point (and increases my stress!) but i may try the wire suggestion.  Thanks!

Please post a picture of the rope next to the hole, I'd like to see the two sizes side by side. We'll get this figured out. 

Problem solved by using all your suggestions!  First, I went to the hardware store and found thinner string.  In the pic below, the tan string came with the kit, but I found a thinner yellow string (and I liked the color better anyway!)

Then, as Keith suggested, I glued the string to a needle, (rather than tying it as I first tried to do).

And then, as bobandlucy pointed out, I used a drill bit (turning it by hand) to enlarge the holes.  I haven't finished the cap rail yet, but wanted to solve the becket problem first.  Thanks for all the advice!

199673639_stringsizes_1000.jpg.530168849b5b3f28571dd5e340d35347.jpg

Needle glued to yellow string

398996329_needleandstring_1000.jpg.0567fa882877750ccc2b9ccc2b198bce.jpg

Becket installed!  Whew!

1538535892_transomropeinstalled_1000.jpg.625cec763ac0021f30b706ccdc62cfd4.jpg

My favorite way  to handle this  issue is with a needle threader. These are sold in various crafts shops and also by model suppliers like Model Expo. They're extremely useful and versatile. Just make sure to get a packet of a few, because they can also break given their delicate nature.

Another tip is to use a bit of glue to seal in one end of the rope/line in question, as even tiny frayed ends can catch on a hole and make it really hard to pull the rope through. You can even use a knife to shave the glued end into a pointed shape (like its own needle) that will help it pass through. You can then just cut off the 1/4" or less of glued area once the threading is  complete.

4 hours ago, Cathead said:

My favorite way  to handle this  issue is with a needle threader.

Thanks Cathead, what a great idea!  I will definitely get one of those for my next build.

It's DONE!   I have FINISHED my very first wood ship model!  Whee-ha!  I have learned so much... thank you, thank you, for all of your suggestions, comments, and encouraging words!   It was a huge learning curve for me, and looking at the instructions for the Norwegian Sailing Pram (my next project which arrived yesterday), I can see its going be another giant learning curve! 

But I'm enjoying learning new things about myself (patience comes to mind), and even with frustration and not knowing what I am doing, its still been fun!  Here's the final pics...  lots of mistakes along the way, but I am ok with everything, given all that I learned!  Again, thanks!

I used Red Oak Minwax wood finish on the base and on the thwarts.  Size 18 yellow twine for the becket.

I could've spent more time on the oars, but I was concerned about breaking them, so I decided to stop.  In looking at the pictures, you can see the frayed planks, excess glue, and many other imperfections, but still, I am happy with my first-time results!

PS - Tholes are difficult.  I am glad they supplied 12 inches of dowel, even though only 4" are needed, since I used several extra inches in trial and error!

582657373_Done9_1000.jpg.a3ea9811a97107866f1a5dc52edff3c0.jpg

1046148698_Done1_1000.jpg.41847ed9747541583ac7962f5d90181c.jpg

829205152_Done7_1000.jpg.f36cc93f7594cef0f0f4d169b47dc812.jpg

355479221_Done3_1000.jpg.186a3ac22f8dbca187cb6af62f6dd525.jpg

Congratulations, she's beautiful. A result to be proud of, and even more to the point, you did a great job learning and applying what you learned as you progressed. I look forward to seeing what you do with the pram! If you remember, once you start that build log, let us know here as I'd like to follow it  as well.

By the way, I'll be in Kansas City next week, among other things at the Tuesday and Wednesday Royals games. 

Congrats Bro!  

A pleasing rendition of aGrand Banks Dory.

Certainly your next project will be even better after incorporating your experience!

Cheers

Edited by ERS Rich

Iraymo, congratulation! I am so very proud for you, a wonderful job on your first build. I hope you have a prominent place to display her, she deserves it. 

@Cathead Thanks, I'm definitely happy with how it turned out, mistakes and all.  And I will apply much of what I learned to the Pram (and thanks for encouraging me to continue with a build log!)  Have fun at the Royals games (if you don't get rained out!)

@ERS Rich Thanks for the congrats!

@Keith Black Keith, you've been so encouraging to me throughout this entire process, and I can't thank you enough!  To be able to share on this forum and have you and the others give me feedback and encouragement has been awesome, and kept me from giving up at times, knowing there were folks out here that I could turn to for advice and sharing.

So I believe I may be one of the very few women out here, and I think you may have all thought I was a guy since I never indicated male or female.  I didn't think it was needed, as I've always been in professions that are male-dominated (engineering and IT), and I always fit in quite well.  But I wanted to make sure you all know who you're talking to, because I've grown to appreciating you all alot, and I hope that it doesn't change things, because I'm going to rely on you all for help with my next build!  

One more thing... on alot of comments, I see things like "Current Build" or "Completed Projects".  Where does that get added?  (Now that I've completed something, I'd like to post it!)

Congratulations Iraymo on finishing your dory.  You did a good job on this model and you overcame a lot of challenges.  This may be a male dominated hobby, bit there are some fantastic female builders current and past whose works are masterpieces.  In fact, Toni Levine, who is an accomplished ship modeler, is the current chairperson of the Nautical Research Guild.  She has several builds on MSW and she is currently designing and building the capstan model that you can obtain from the NRG store.  I look forward to following your future builds.  You will do great in this hobby.

I edited your title to show that your model is finished.  This can be done by editing your first post.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Iraymo, it matters not that you're a woman, what matters is that you have the desire to learn the hobby. It makes it that much more special that you are a woman in that we need more women involved in the hobby. Here at MSW/NGR there are no ceilings or boundaries, you can fly as high and far as YOU want to. I'm looking forward to your Pram build and hopefully more to follow. 

Doris, one of our female members is absolutely amazing, here is the link to her build of the Royal Katherine. 

Well done lraymo, nice job for a first wooden model.

At no time did I wonder what your Gender was. We are all the same in my eyes irrespective of race or gender.

I have built many models both wood and plastic during my 67 years. And I find these smaller kits far more difficult to build. I find the larger kits are far more easy to build because of the larger scale.

I was not sure what a Norwegian pram was so googled it. Looks like a nice introduction to a first model with a mast sail and rigging.

Have fun building it and I look forward to your log once you start.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Congratulations! The fact that you completed the project, flaws and all, is an achievement in itself. You'll find that what you've learned building your dory will be very helpful for the next model. I also echo Paul's comments on identity: we are all in this endeavour together.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

9 hours ago, lraymo said:

One more thing... on alot of comments, I see things like "Current Build" or "Completed Projects".  Where does that get added?  (Now that I've completed something, I'd like to post it!)

On MSW, this is called the signature, and here's a thread  that explains how to do it

My wife is a scientist who has also worked in male-dominated fields and has often been cautious about revealing her gender in related online or publication settings because she has definitely experienced discrimination and other issues. When I joined MSW, I was fairly cagey about identity at first because I didn't know what I was getting into. I've opened up quite a bit since then as I've learned just how friendly and helpful this community is. I'm so glad you feel comfortable as well. There's certainly an innate assumption that most modelers are older men (rather justified by the actual demographics), just as I tend to get odd looks as a younger man going into craft stores! And there can be a bit of a "boy's club" mentality here at times, just look at the nature of the prevalent jokes about "admirals", "honey do lists", and so on. But I think all communities benefit from diverse perspectives and participants, so you're all the more welcome for that reason. Thanks again for sharing your work with us and I hope you'll enjoy a long and worthwhile time here on MSW.

Thank you, everyone, for your warm welcome and encouragement!  I am enjoying this community, you are all wonderfully kind and encouraging and helpful!  I'm going to spend some time reading the build logs for the Pram, and getting familiar with the instructions before I start, but I am hoping I can carry forward what I learned from the Dory (which is proudly displayed in my dining room!)

Stay tuned for the next build, and thanks again! - Lynn

Congrats! I just ordered this kit and looking forward to learning from it as well! No matter how simple the kit appears, you always learn new tricks and it’s usually never as simple as it looks. 
Steve

Thanks, Steve.  I really enjoyed this kit and learned alot, although I am a rank beginner, so it was challenging for me, as will be the next one, the Norwegian Sailing Pram that I'm about to start!  You'll enjoy this one. Have fun!

• 3 months later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 3 weeks later...

You did a GREAT job on your Dory, Just remember the kits in this series are learning projects.

I made the same kit and had challenges as well. I did not start a build log but as I go on to the Pram as you mentioned that is going to be my second build, and will probably list a build log due to needing advice. I am pretty much finished but here are a couple of pictures. Was missing dowel for thole pins and decided to make them myself, Was kinda a challenge but found a way to make them from square balsa sticks to round ones.used the supplied rope that came with the kit but had to make holes a little bigger by using modelers hand operated drill. 

Just remember don't beat yourself over the head to hard there's to many others that will do that IF YOU LET THEM !!!!!!  JUST DONT LET THEM.

GREAT BUILD will be watching for more builds.

001.Dory.jpeg

IMG_1083.jpeg

IMG_1084.jpeg

IMG_1086.jpeg

IMG_1087 copy.jpg

IMG_1088.jpeg