HMS Pegasus 1776 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:64 - 16-gun sloop

Amazing and inspirative, as always. A lot to enjoy it and a lot to learn.

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thank you Nenad,

I`m happy if some Points were of help to you, I also find many helpful inspirations on MSW. Hope you are now pleased with your CS plating work

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

"Violin" blocks...

I noticed that there are some 7 mm high violin blocks with each two staggered single sheaved rollers shown on the plan. Actualy a regular double sheaved block would do the same function, but OK it may be an 18th century speciality to use violin blocks. So I searched the web in vain trying to find 7 mm violin blocks. Those found were of so poor Quality that I decided to do them myself this morning. Here is a prototype one....

post-3445-0-89840100-1403180733_thumb.jpg

two woodrods (5 and 3 mm diam.) were shafted together, whereby the 5mm one gets a concave outcut over the length. Both are glued together with PA. Borings drilled, and rope guide groove put on. Then cut the part in slices carefuly and do fine Tuning..., groove for stops, etc...

post-3445-0-40068500-1403180736_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-58541400-1403180738_thumb.jpg

Build log part 40 to follow...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Nils -- the shots of your forecastle are fascinating, and these violin (or "fiddle"?) blocks are absolutely ingenious!!  I'm sure your technique here will be copied widely -- certainly by me.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thank you B.E. and Martin,

both your words are very much appreciated. I will be doing the gun Tackling next, and then installing the messenger and the gundeck capstan, because I want to put on forecastle- and the Quarterdeck permanently. There is a drawer full of finished parts waiting to be mounted when the decks are on.

In the meantime I am grooving myself in for the rigging System, in order to understand the function of each of the lines and various operational ropes

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Geoff...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, just been catching up with your log, and have to say that Pegasus is looking tremendous. :)

Yes, the aligning of the deadeyes is a bit critical. I used the length-of-string method on my Sherbourne, worrying that all the deadeyes would be at the right angle. Lo and behold, when it came to actually rigging the shrouds – they were! I breathed a sigh of relief then, I can tell you!

With all the forethought you've put in on this, I don't think you'll have many problems.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi Crackers and Kester,

thank you for looking in on the log, and for your comments

I just cut off a complete drilled and slotted slice of the violin "raw bar" it fell onto the carpet and went lost in nirvana, like many small parts before..., shi...

Kester, this Feeling you experienced with your Sherbourne, untill hopefully the sigh of relief Comes I am going through right now myself...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

When I clicked the like 'button', I wasn't of course referring to the first part of your post!

All I can say about that is: 1) It happens, usually at the most awkward moment; 2) I find a few choice words often help; 3) when you've calmed down a bit, you start all over again... sigh. :(

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Nils, If I got a Dime for every small part that I lost , ( usually its a part that I spent alot of time making )  I would be a wealthy man , While I was building the billings Dragon,I ripped open the vaccum cleaner bag looking for parts, at that time I lost the gooseneck and some other parts . Fortunatly I did find the gooseneck but the other parts , I have no idea

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Nils I have complete sympathy.  Years ago I spent a week working on a miniture pump.  I was doing a final cleaning before blackening and it went ping into the sea of last parts.  I found it a month later after I made a duplicate.

David B

so it is David....

I catch myself every time on knees and elbows swaying / feeling the Hands over the carpet when one of these parts has fallen down, bounced a few times on the carpet taking an undefinated direction, and I unfortunately could not track the flight curve so quickly,..... it must be here, it ca`nt vanish, shall I make a new one or give it another search, extending the square meters. I trust we all know this Situation very well, its probably part of the game...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Har Spy!!  That would be the longest thread on the site!   B)

Nils, you have my sympathy.  Everytime I'm down on my elbows and knees looking for that d*** little piece, my dog decides to join me and put her wet nose in my face while sitting on the very spot where I'm sure the piece went.  If I ever do find it, though, it's usually way off on the other side of the room.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Build log part 40

Working on the gun tacklings in the Moment....

this is a very weary Job with these good looking but very small 3mm blocks ( single and double).

Instead of cotton rope I used 100 % Polyester thread in natural hemp Color, which Looks the same, but gives the possibility to thin out the Ends (soft flame / heat) for doing the sheaving through the tiny holes

post-3445-0-38833800-1403452277_thumb.jpg

there are left and right Tacklings and the carriage backing tackle

post-3445-0-92303300-1403452912_thumb.jpg

the breech ropes are all pretackled to the carriages

post-3445-0-38457900-1403452272_thumb.jpg

this Little device helps to pretackle the blocks

post-3445-0-06907300-1403452281_thumb.jpg

I do 6 at a time (for two guns)

post-3445-0-15487700-1403452284_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-48493000-1403452917_thumb.jpg

the runner Ends are not belayed properly yet.

This first test mounting was just to see if the Position can be achieved with the 3 Tacklings only

post-3445-0-86881400-1403452919_thumb.jpg

I think I`m not going to glue the carriages to the deck

post-3445-0-09643400-1403452922_thumb.jpg

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful work Nils, Very well done

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Nils:

So glad I have run across your beautiful work. I really love the cutaway hull....really enjoy learning new techniques from master builders such as yourself. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

That is a nice fixture you made Nils.  How did you think of it?

David B

Hi David,

the thought was first to prevent those Tacklings from getting all twisted up from alone (without doing anything to cause that) if I just lay them on my deskboard...

and second, to get them easyer hooked into the bulwarks eyelets, I would possibly have become an heartattack by Tackling on the ship...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils:

So glad I have run across your beautiful work. I really love the cutaway hull....really enjoy learning new techniques from master builders such as yourself. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Thanks for your appreciative words Dave,

I also had a look at your ships on the web, it`s a nice Homepage I like with lovely built displayed models

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I don’t know how I missed this build for so long.  But I’m here now to admire and learn from your fantastic skills.  Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you very much Bob

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

cannon and lashings look great Nils.........very nicely done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Popeye,

rigging those small 3 mm blocks is driving me crazy, especialy when the neat tackle is taken from the seperate pretackling device and transfered to the positions on the gundeck....., the tackle trys to tangle up and twist extreme. I have also given up my own Obligation not glue the carriages on...., but now CA helps to secure the Position. Would love to hear what fellow builders do in that case ?

Nils

Here some pics of the gun Tackling, I started with the most difficult ones under the forecastle deck

post-3445-0-74063900-1403627621_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-83067400-1403627626_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-44332100-1403627629_thumb.jpg

here also the horizontal beam with the maessenger return rollers, it also supports the anchor cable above the Manager board an -pit

post-3445-0-13082800-1403627632_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-68146700-1403627634_thumb.jpg

the riding bit is pushed in a bit too deep (still loose) on the left side, thas why it does not apear straight here

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Amazing work and detail Nils, Beautifully done , Very impressive

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Thank you Pete,

your nice comment is much appreciated...

The gun Tackling is quite time intensive and may take the whole week, if the house gardening work outside does not take overhand

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Oh David,

I have by no means a mastermind and with my 66 years I have to write a list for groceries from the Supermarket every time I go, in order not to forget half of it. When modeling, my mind goes at ease, when I have an idea to a solution I have the strive to see quite quickly if it works...., scetch, dummy, mock up, etc..., you`re right, maybe a Little gaga sometimes

Cheers

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils

Looking good, nice bit of work

Cheers

Geoff

Thank you very much Geoff

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed