I am new. building ship. most interested in the rigging. working on 1770 6th rate British frigate 0.0115 scale from period plans and books. Interested in historical accuracy within the sailing aspect. I would love for my plan of working running rigging to work and be able to move sails and yards by pulling sets of strings, but unrealistic weights and frictions may cause too many problems. 

Welcome to MSW.   Answers to a couple of questions would help....    which ship?  I'm not sure what 0.0115 scale is... do you have the more standard type of scale like 1:48, 1:30, etc.?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome.

0.0115 is 1/87 (HO)?

Emphasizing the rigging will be interesting.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

LK, welcome to MSW. Once you get settled in you need to start a build log because I and I'm sure others are going to want to look over your shoulder. 

Welcome aboard!...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Lawn,

A very warm welcome to  MSW.  If you have never built a model ship before, you may want to consider something less complex than a rated ship for your first project.  With hundreds of running rigging lines it is difficult to just rig them and fix them in place let alone rig them so they are working tackle.   Just getting to belay, release and re-belay one or two lines would be cumbersome at best.    Still, I am sure everyone here wishes you good fortune.   I really hope this works as it will be a very interesting journey for us to follow.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 3 weeks later...

re allanyed.  I have been thinking and studying a lot about the workings of rigging and I'm realizing that the scale will play huge part of the mechanisms actually being able to work. I'm not so worried about the hull persay wood working is fun and I can make a working hull just maybe not so detailed. I really want to share a revelation I had talking with an rc hobbyist I met at a job. He told me that the problem with the working lines will be resistance and said make it bigger, and adding weights to the load and reducing resistance in the sheaves will make the lines will flow through the blocks much better. That's going to be the problem with the mechanical advantage in a model. By the time all the parts of line work through the block, there will be no line pull strength between the sheaves and the lines will go slack and get wrapped up in other parts before the load moves if it moves at all. I also learned a lot about radio controlled devices. I admit I don't know much about scales and can hardly call myself a modeler, so I pose a question to real modelers. Is it important to be within the constraints of a certain scale? the reason being, I believe I'm going to start fresh with a new scale if I have any hope of making the rigging work similar to how it was supposed to in real life. If the ship is 126 feet long what scale could I use to get to around 4.5 feet

Hi and welcome to MSW!

The scale for 4.5 feet would be 1:28. You might like to play with that a bit - perhaps 1:30 (which is 2'6" to the inch) and would be a bit over 4'2".

But I would agree with allanyed that it would be a lot easier to get this all to work if you built a simpler ship - perhaps a naval cutter like the Cheerful?

Good to have you aboard

Steven