USS Constitution by CaptainSteve - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 scale

The young chappie from Massachusetts seems to know ...

Tom, please enlighten everyone.

Edit: I love the Arnold Horshack impersonation !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I know that only because the good Cap'n has been very interested in my build log. I have a feeling his will come out much better than mine.

The Bounty Launch, me thinks.

Arrr ... 'tis indeed.

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

I know that only because the good Cap'n has been very interested in my build log. I have a feeling his will come out much better than mine.

If mine comes out anywhere near as good as yours (and a few others), then I shall be more than pleased.

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I'm looking forward to commencing work on it.

But, first, I really need to finish Connie's boats off ...

... and get Geoff his picture (after all, he was the one who kick-started me in the right direction in the first place - though, I confess I probably went off the rails a bit along the way).

Sooo ... for now, I need to make some oars, masts, harpoons, rope coils etc etc ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Nice pics, dg ...

Tho' they'd probably look better in my new Bounty Launch build log.

Made some in-roads on furniture yesterday and (very) early this morning:

Starting with some 2.5mm x 1mm stock wood, I cut 6 pieces to 4cm (pinnace oars) and 10 pieces to 2cm (gig and whale-boat) ...

post-675-0-99604900-1392509511_thumb.jpg

I then clamped some of these together (lining them all up beforehand) and, using a razor-saw, cut a groove in the centre at one end ...

post-675-0-39664000-1392509520_thumb.jpg

Then using sand-paper, widened and straightened the grooves ...

post-675-0-85922800-1392509528_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-73330600-1392509543_thumb.jpg

Before crashing out around 4am, I attached sanded-down tooth-picks as handles to my oar-blades ...

post-675-0-12094800-1392509565_thumb.jpg

Once the glue had dried, the Dremel with sanding drum cleaned them up a little ...

post-675-0-31512900-1392509578_thumb.jpg

One broke, and so I ended up with 6 longs and 9 shorts. They're not perfect, but close enough considering they will be bunched-up and tied together (I'll be sure to put the less-than-perfect ones on the bottom). 

I still need to clip the oar-handle lengths to size.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Also, yesterday, I made a large mug of strong black tea ...

Not because of any hang-over I may have had, but to soak a piece of cloth to stain it. It's currently hanging on the clothes-line before being trimmed to shape and size.

I'm hoping a week left in the Australian sun will fade and, hopefully, streak the cloth a little.

Even though these sails will be rolled-up, I'm planning to add a bolt-rope around the edge of each piece (there will be three two: two one in the pinnace and one for the Gig).

Next up, some fishing hooks have been cannibalized to make harpoons ...

post-675-0-57992100-1392545922_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-76305500-1392545933_thumb.jpg

I originally wanted to do four - 2 per whale-boat. My tweezers had other ideas, and so I was left with two.

(A worrisome thought plagues me, however. I can just imagine someone touching the barbs, pricking it into their finger, then pulling their hand back quickly in pain, as they fling my model into the wall.)

post-675-0-01160300-1392546016_thumb.jpg

6 pinnace oars, 9 small oars, 2 harpoons and 4 winch-bars.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Also, yesterday, I made a large mug of strong black tea ...

Not because of any hang-over I may have had, but to soak a piece of cloth in to stain it. It's currently hanging on the clothes-line before being trimmed to shape and size.

I'm hoping a week left in the Australian sun will fade and, hopefully, streak the cloth a little.

So today's lesson is that I should get very drunk the night before working on sails?

A worrisome thought plagues me, however. I can just imagine someone touching the barbs, pricking it into their finger, then pulling their hand back quickly in pain,  as they fling my model into the wall.

And now I know how the "Flying Dutchman" got her name!  I am learning something new every day!!  :P

But super seriously, I am truly amazed at your work and scratch building/manufacturing these parts :)

Bindy - That should be EVERY day's lesson. :P~

- Bug

Without question, Buck. Just so long as I can do her justice ...

Bindy, Bug speaks the truth.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

One issue I have considered whilst finishing up these boats with furniture, is trying to keep them mostly uncluttered.

(Thanks, Geoff !!)

Thus, I've chosen to cut back on the number of oars in each of the bundles. 

Also, buckets are gone.

(Convenient ... since I haven't gotten around to doing them)

Anyway, some pics this evening before any work is commenced for the weekend ...

post-675-0-68176200-1392995509_thumb.jpg

A touch of paint at the tip of the oar-handles, then bundle them up and these are now fixed in place.

In the foreground is the tea-stained piece of cloth to become sails.

post-675-0-39914600-1392995852_thumb.jpg

The oars for the whale-boats have not been fixed into position, yet. I'm still toying with ideas for the winch and harpoons.

Wiser folk have pointed out to me that harpoons were not likely on a naval vessel. 

However, my problem is that I may have "painted myself into a corner" with regards these as furniture, as the decision to install winches was taken long ago.

At the time, it seemed like a good idea.

I mean, whale-boats ... they're used to chase whales, right ??

They need whale-winches ... and harpoons, right ??

For now, rope has been wrapped around the winch drums.

Not sure where it is going to go to at this point.

If I keep the harpoons, the ropes can be attached to these ...

If the harpoons are to go - perhaps in favour of a boat-hook - then where do I connect my rope ??

Thoughts ?? Suggestions ??

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Today saw a few hours spent making a pair of sails for the two swan-boats. As these are to be rolled-up and tied to the masts, the sail-area used is probably less than a quarter of an actual sail, since I don't want the whole thing to appear too bulky.

Incidentally, the tea-staining came out well ... but leaving them out in the sun didn't streak them as much as I may have liked. Using a coffee rinse may have worked better. 

No big deal, seeing as they'll be rolled.

Here they are with bolt-ropes nearly finished ...

post-675-0-21130800-1393071128_thumb.jpg

Fortunately, many, many years ago, my mother insisted that her sons should learn to sew -  tho' how she ever knew that I'd one day need to sew miniature sails, I have no idea !!!

Also, the masts/spars visible in an earlier pic have been re-done ... they were too dark in colour (wrong stain !!) for these two boats. 

Finally, I've been reading up on making rope coils. Whilst the main ship will most likely have the flat Flemish coils which many others have gone with, I will instead place a few "Working" coils around my ship's boats.

BTW ... here's a great link showing how to make those Flemish coils easily.

(Yes, Jay, it most probably does look very familiar to you !!)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thank you, Geoff. So very close now ...

Okay. My sails were rolled and lashed to the masts/spars just a few moments ago.

In all honesty, I really do not think the 2-3 hours spent sewing bolt-ropes was all that worthwhile - they can hardly be seen at all !! 

Oh well ... here's a couple of pics ....

post-675-0-96286900-1393096329_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-97610900-1393096384_thumb.jpg

Just the two whale-boats to finish off now, although I am still thinking about how these will look.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Your quote:

Fortunately, many, many years ago, my mother insisted that her sons should learn to sew -  tho' how she ever knew that I'd one day need to sew miniature sails, I have no idea !!!

BTW ... here's a great link showing how to make those Flemish coils easily.

(Yes, Jay, it most probably does look very familiar to you !!)

My mother did not teach me how to sew, but I was always curious how a sewing machine worked. No I did not take her machine apart to find out, but I did learn how to sew on my wife's machine. I even made a quilt (but don't tell anyone, ok). I now also know how that bobbin and feed thread get together like a pair of dogs in heat.

Again these little things we learned did come to good use these days (or may be haunt you amongst male friends). :angry:

I tell people that this hobby has so many facets and interesting trials and errors, that it is never boring.

Keep up the good work, mate. Some day soon I will have to follow suite and make my boats for the Connie.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

... I even made a quilt (but don't tell anyone, ok). I now also know how that bobbin and feed thread get together like a pair of dogs in heat.

Again these little things we learned did come to good use these days (or may be haunt you amongst male friends). :angry:

I'll make you a deal, Jay .... no-one will need ever know about your quilt-making expertise just so long as you never mention that my mother also taught me how to knit !!!

Arrr ...

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

The closest I ever came to knitting was doing some macrame and tying a Turkish knot for the tiller on my little sailboat many years ago.

Here is one on the deck of the USS Constitution in Boston. It fits around one of the eyebolts. I made mine to go around a bar, or actually the handle of the boat's tiller.

post-246-0-69011400-1393271803.jpg

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I have always wanted to try some rope work. I have a friend who was a mariner by trade and could do some great stuff. He could make a monkeys fist in a couple of minutes and made eye splices look easy.

That Bounty Launch is still waiting. It's a great kit.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Gettin' there, Alde ...

At the moment, I am working on a pair of steering oars for my whale-boats. I'd never noticed before, but they are on the plans.

Also, boat-hooks are in the pipe-line. Yet more fish-hooks shall be laying down their lives to provide these.

Still not sure where the ropes wrapped around the whale-winches will be going.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Quick update:

Steering oars went onto the whale-boats today. I'm quite impressed with them (even if I do say so myself). Just a pair of boat-hooks to do tomorrow after work, then I'll finish these boats up.

As for the loose ends leading from the rope wrapped around the winches, I'm thinkin' I'll simply make them into coils sitting on or towards the bows. 

No photos just yet ... the next pics will be for Geoff !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

This evening, final touches were added to my boats: winch-poles, some "working" rope coils, and oar bundles (for the whale-boats). I tried to make a couple of boat-hooks, but after three failed attempts have decided to give these a miss for now at least (the latest, most successful failed attempt has been kept for another time).

They have been a lot of fun to build, with plenty of scope for personal interpretation. As someone once suggested, each was almost a kit in itself.

These boats have taken me a little over one year to build - including time to re-build one boat which was stolen when approx 3/4 complete.

On the one hand, that is perhaps a bit too long; on the other, it's approx 2.5 months per boat, which means that I should be able to knock out the main, single ship in about the same time, meaning the whole build will be finished some time around June.

Hmmm ... to paraphrase the log-on name of one of my friends here on MSW: Probably Not !!!!

(Sorry, Brian.)

When I started on these, my intention was to produce two distinctly different classes of boat. I think that, largely, I have succeeded.

But enough waffling on for now. As promised almost a year ago, here are my recreations of the picture which has been my guiding influence throughout this stage of my USS Constitution build ....

(And, once again, thank you Geoff M !!)

post-675-0-93922400-1393507547_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-24664900-1393507557_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)