USS Constitution by CaptainSteve - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 scale

This be jus’ a brief update fer now as Our Hero be a-realizing that mayhaps he cannae be making his way through an entire section o’ a build like this each an’ every week …

CaptainSteve doth be explainin’, “For now, I be a-testin’ the concept of coppering the horseshoes.”

First up, Our Hero didst choose-eth to try simple kitchen aluminium foil on one o’ the earlier ring-pulls/horseshoes.
post-675-0-87509700-1429969247_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-21569900-1429969251_thumb.jpg

“Me ring-pull were to be a-breakin’,” CaptainSteve was heard to whine, “at the bottom whence I were to be tryin’ to forge a more horseshoe-shaped horseshoe.”

Nonetheless, he were to plough-eth forth and try the same test using the kit-supplied adhesive-backed copper foil.
“Verily, methinks this didst work-eth much better,” Our Hero were to proclaim-eth.

post-675-0-03767700-1429969254_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-55162700-1429969256_thumb.jpg

“I mus’,” CaptainSteve were to conclude-eth, “be bluntin’ me toothpick more a-fore shapin’ the nail marks … but, erstwhile, methinks proof o’ concept hath, most verily, been established !!”
Our Hero has much work ahead-eth o’ hisself.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Something I've had spinning around my head lately is using the contemporary look with her, and fore-going the copper all together. Boxwood lower planking, stained a reddish orange, Ebony, or painted black, whales, and Holly the rest of the way up, painting black above the gun-stripe. I don't know, just a thought. I really like this configuration though. As she supposedly looked when launched.

post-12186-0-27121300-1429970580_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-42868700-1429970565.jpg

post-12186-0-94898100-1429970549_thumb.jpg

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Nice pic, George.

As my earliest recollections of the USS Constitution are of the Revell plastic kit, then I will most likely be stickin' with the black and white colourations.

However, as I have most conveniently decided to go with an "1812 era" appearance, and since the evidence to disprove one look o'er another has long since been lost to the ravages o' time, then the final look o' me stern galleries (as just one example) still be not set in concrete.

I DO like the look o' them taff-rail (?) decorations, tho' !! 

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Love the copper! And great idea using the can tab!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

I have actually been thinking along those lines meself, Harv'. I have a bottle of Black Japan wood stain which has only been used for some tints and dry-brush highlighting on the Bounty Launch build. So, the bottle has been hardly touched. Reckon I'll find a use for it once I'm a lot further on in this build.

Back to the horseshoes, and a midnight conference with the Squirrel Whisperer and his squirrels has brought to light an unforeseen problem. This being that the ring-pull horseshoes (15mm) are just waaay too big for scale. Assuming a standard, large horseshoe size of 8", a 'shoe to scale would barely be 3mm in height !!

However, Harrison Nutz did point out that a shoe for a Clydesdale could be up to 22" in height, giving a scale size of about 9mm. This fits better with the scale of the pic from AOTS.

This is do-able ... but NOT using the ring-pulls, as these are just too big.

But, fear not !! Our Hero has found a possible solution ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hi there Captain! I'm probably wrong about this, but I don't think the "horseshoe keys" were actual horseshoes for horses, but were custom- made for structural re-enforcement at those joints. I'm just guessing and looking at them from an engineering standpoint. Don't really know for sure, but before giving up the beer-top idea, maybe a PM to Chuck or any one of the scratch-builders could educate all of us.

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Steve, when in doubt... cheat.  :)  Get some copper wire, anneal it.   Bend to shapen and then flatten with a hammer. File, etc. to clean up.  A darn sight easier than cutting from plate.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Whence last we left Our Hero, he were contemplating the matter o’ massively o’ersized drink-can ring-pull hull-horseshoes.

“The problem were to be resolved,” CaptainSteve didst interdict, “by using not the ring-pulls, but, instead-eth, by a-clipping out the folded-over lip from ‘round the top of the drink-can.”
post-675-0-38127200-1430090176_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-57280500-1430090178_thumb.jpg

The problem there be that this piece didst require-eth to be edge-bent to make the horseshoe shape … and, verily, we all know-eth how much fun THAT can be-eth.
post-675-0-18822600-1430090181_thumb.jpg

"Now", Our Hero were to begin-eth, "annealing be a process whereby one doest heat-eth metal, and then doth beat-eth the bejeezus out of it."

post-675-0-73240400-1430090183_thumb.jpg

But, after much hammering and annealing and wailing and knashing o’ teeth, CaptainSteve didst forge ahead (pun intended), producing these …
post-675-0-54671900-1430090186_thumb.jpg

“By the way !!”, Our Hero were to explain. “I be a-seein’ on me plans the plottin’ o’ a set o’ keel-clamps, and didst figure to be a-making those at the same time.”

Firstly, ‘twas necessary to gouge-eth out a seat for the newly-forged iron-workin’s.
post-675-0-71556200-1430090188_thumb.jpg

Finally, here they be after the two-part epoxy didst dry-eth and the clamps were to be removed.
post-675-0-41705100-1430090191_thumb.jpg

“I shall be a-needin’,” CaptainSteve added, “to buff that clamp mark out, methinks !!”

post-675-0-28569700-1430090194_thumb.jpg

“As ye would know-eth by now, I be a-plannin’ to over-copper these pieces later on.”

Now, those wi’ a keen eye wouldst, verily, be a-noticing bulkheads in the last few pictures, e’en though Our Hero has made naught mention o’ them thus far.

“Oh, them !!”, he were to stammer. “I be a-puttin’ those in o’er the course of the past seven-day.”
This was a relatively painless step seein’ as they had already been marked-up with reference lines, and the fairing had been done previously …
post-675-0-58607700-1430090170_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-92417700-1430090173_thumb.jpg

Exciting times lay ahead now for Our Hero. What with bulkhead spacers and framing and filler blocks to be done (not to mention more thought to be given to matters o’ Electrification) then, most verily, it couldst be some time a-fore the next instalment of the Adventures of CaptainSteve.

“By the way, a teaser,” Our Hero were to add-eth, in closing. “I be expectin’ a couple more additions to me toy-box o’er the coming week and a bit.”

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

That iron-work looks good there Captain, and I see you've sneaked those bulkheads in when we weren't looking.  :D Bet I can guess what you have coming too.  ;)

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Excellent job CaptainSteve! Now we're gonna have to start a list of how many things you can make from a spent can.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

As long as we don't crush a few hundred into one block and call it an anchor

Cap'n, excellent work on the "iron works" and your hull framing. I'm waiting with semi-bated breath to hear of your "toy-box" additions.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Nice work Steve. I think I'm almost as excited as you are about your pending toy delivery! ;)

Nice work Steve. I think I'm almost as excited as you are about your pending toy delivery! ;)

Just one minor point I need to correct you on there, Grant ... it's TOYS, not TOY.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Great restart captain. I know what you mean about what will be seen on the gun deck, which is why I only did a partial deck instead of the whole thing. Those keel details you made look great.

Thanks everyone for the on-going comments and support. Believe me, I need all the help I can get.

Tom, please don't misunderstand my comments. Your gun-deck is looking superb. And I understand why you are putting in all the additional work on it.

But, especially as this model is planned for a home that contains zero Naval Historians whatsoever (or MSW members), then I'm planning on spending more work on the external details.

By the way, I spent an hour or so reading thru your log yesterday and how you made the filler and counter blocks. Most helpful for what looks to be a very tricky stage !!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Not a problem, Steve. We all have our different reasons for what we do. I am really looking forward to your version of this great ship.

Welcome aboard, Sam !!

(Nose hair, huh ?? Who would've thought ??)

:cheers:  

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

• 3 weeks later...

Our Hero hath spent the past few weeks deep in contemplation, but thought it be high-time he didst update this Redux. Verily, CaptainSteve has been able to take many hours in his ship-yard. But he hath also spent a goodly amount of time in naval navel-gazing.

“Arrr … “, he were heard to be a-grizzlin’ and a-moanin’.
“Workin’ under this ‘ere Cap’n Hull fellow doth mean-eth that I shall be needin’ to lift me game !!”, CaptainSteve didst grumble.
“With THIS guy, it’s practice, practice, practice. Drill, drill, drill. Day in, day out !!”, he were to be a-mumblin’.

“Seriously !! Whate’er happened to the days o’ ‘Measure Once, Cut-eth Thrice, Profane Profusely, Start-eth Over Anew ??’”

“Tragically,” Our Hero didst confess, “me first attempts be somewhat less than successful.”
post-675-0-38492000-1431830278_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-41340500-1431830441_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-30704600-1431830473_thumb.jpg

Apparently, there be somewhat of a learning curve for CaptainSteve to overcome in terms o’ his carpentry skills. And so, most verily, he didst venture to the wood store, where-upon he were to purchase balsa blocks a-plenty. Our Hero were to be a-figurin’ that, as the fillers shall be over-planked later, it be a-matterin’ not what wood wouldst be use-ethed for them.
“Besides, this stuff be a heck o’ a lot easier to carve-eth into shape !!”

Thusly, he were to take-eth up his wood-axe and his tree-saw, and didst commence, yet again, to hack-eth out the various filler blocks.

Firstly, CaptainSteve were to turn-eth his attentions astern. As Our Hero didst declare-eth from the outset, he doth be plan-ething upon an 1812-ish appearance wi’ this build …

“For starters,” he were to explain-eth, gesticulating wildly whilst pointing at his MS plans, “this be a-meanin’ that me transom counter doth be require-ething curvature.”
post-675-0-39087600-1431830453_thumb.jpg

The Counter didst prove-eth to be not so difficult, once Our Hero didst finally grasp-eth the concept o’ making templates …
post-675-0-14219000-1431830444_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-51625500-1431830446_thumb.jpg

The hole fer the rudder post doth remain-eth un-excavated, and o’course, CaptainSteve will be a-needin’ to curve the tops of the filler blocks to accommodate the curvature o’ his Counter.

“But,” he were to declare-eth, “I be-eth relatively happy wi’ this piece fer now …”

post-675-0-51548700-1431830448_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-93797500-1431830450_thumb.jpg

Moving onto the Stern Filler blocks, and this be where CaptainSteve didst make-eth many, many a trip to his Muse …
That ‘twould be, Our Hero were to acknowledge, the Man from Massachusetts.
“Verily, Tom,” he didst state-eth, “your pics be of untold value whilst I work-eth through me framing stages.”

post-675-0-51822700-1431830475_thumb.jpg

Much cutting and trimming and sanding didst occur-eth, but upon checking with his template pieces one final time, CaptainSteve doest now be seriously contemplating a re-do o’ these two pieces …

“I be most sure,” he were to bemoan, “that I hath taken off too much wood again !!”
post-675-0-03871000-1431830528_thumb.jpg

Next time couldst prove-eth most advantageous were Our Hero to actually employ-eth the templates he didst cut-teth.
post-675-0-47956300-1431830525_thumb.jpg

Arrrrggg-geth !!!!

Continuing on, and Our Hero didst cast his gaze a-forward.

post-675-0-58084500-1431830793_thumb.jpg

“Indeed-eth,” he were to declare, “I be most in favour of the whole rabbet concept and also o’ these ‘ere filler blocks.”
For, despite-eth this bein’ not his first build, he hath ne’er encountered this type o’ constructiveness in kits a-fore.
post-675-0-77651200-1431830395_thumb.jpg

But still, further troubles didst lay ahead to thwart CaptainSteve’s galloping progress.

“I be a-readin’,” Our Hero were to mention, by way of explanation, “that ‘twouldst be easier to cut-eth the grooves for the bow framing into a veneer piece aforehand.“
post-675-0-51385600-1431830402_thumb.jpg

Really, CaptainSteve … ??

So it had absolutely nothing whatsoe’er to do with you having sanded too much material from the top, thus making yet another re-do nigh-on inevitable ??

post-675-0-64598100-1431830399_thumb.jpg

“Ahem … “, he didst splutter. “Well, that is, mayhaps I be planning on using some sawdust and PVA to fill the gaps just a tad.”

post-675-0-45475500-1431830405_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-02907500-1431830408_thumb.jpg

"And, this be where things stand as of the present."

post-675-0-62463400-1431830282_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, in an unrelated matter, a mysterious cloth bandage has been photographed in the vicinity o' CaptainSteve's stern area …

post-675-0-88667500-1431830470_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

You're doing an awesome job tackling those filler-block head on there Captain. I can see myself making a trip up to the yumber-lard to grab me up some extra balsa blocks, just to allow for the inevitable goofs. Can't wait to start mine, but still too much to do. I'll be doing some posting in about a month though to show what I'm building. 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Very nice, very nice indeed CaptainSteve! I cannot even imagine partaking in such a grand build as yours at my stage in the game! And just remember, a sharp blade hurts less than a dull one when cutting across ones finger.

The bandage...???? Oh .. the ship's stern not CaptainSteve's stern.  Whew!!!!  :D  :D :D  

Nice but obviously frustrating.  But also as you get them right, the satisfaction will be there.  We're holding fast with you, lad!!!!

post-76-0-48528100-1431841280_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)