USS Constitution by CaptainSteve - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 scale

For those o' ye who ha' not a-followed Our Hero through his Bounty Launch build, and be yet to discover the vagaries of CaptainSteve, then ye shall soon learn-eth that he doth have a tendency to go off on tangents, at times.

Most verily, this be one o' those times !!!

"If you wouldst recall," CaptainSteve didst begin-eth, "'t'other eve there be three drink can ring-pulls a-sitting on me work-bench ..."

These were not there, as one might assume, simply because Our Hero got lazy and couldst naught be bothered to clean up after his-self.

"I be a-seein' this pic," he were to announce-eth, "in me copy of Marquardt's AOTS."

post-675-0-03329800-1429625556_thumb.jpg

It got Our Hero to thinkin', and this eve he were to take-eth up his Dremel and his pin-drill.

post-675-0-48836900-1429625559_thumb.jpg

"Now, they be a-lookin' like this !!" CaptainSteve stated, somewhat emphatically.

post-675-0-66007300-1429625561_thumb.jpg

Hmmm ... 'pon reflection Our Hero may consider a re-do ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

The can ring pulls would be a perfect subject for your other log, Kit-Basher's Guide To The Galaxy

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Great idea for the horseshoes CaptainSteve! I'll drink to that!

Harvey

Although one thing I wonder is how to copper plate over them. I don't know if I've seen the shoes and copper on a model before. . .

This is something I was wondering, also, Harv'.

On the one hand, once installed they could easily be removed if they don't work ...

On the other, mayhaps I should do a test before putting them on.

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Nice horseshoes, sir...  well done.  Copper paint maybe?

As for a full gundeck... have a look at the other Connie builds.   A lot gets hidden with full planking and decks.. However, you and a few thousand of us will know what's there.  :)

Oh.. and tell xken that there's no sacred cows except to be nice and have fun.... :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:cheers: CaptainSteve, making horseshoes like that is one way to get more cans of beer aboard.
In fact, the more you screw these up the more beer for us.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Question: Those horseshoes are lovely but would you actually see them once you copper plate the hull?

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

For those o' ye who ha' not a-followed Our Hero through his Bounty Launch build, and be yet to discover the vagaries of CaptainSteve, then ye shall soon learn-eth that he doth have a tendency to go off on tangents, at times. 

I must hold you responsible for leading me (an OCD family member) down the "Rabbit Hole of Obsessive Details".  :)

As such, I've been lost on the dark side for almost two weeks now without a single post on my log....however, when I do come up for air I think it will have been worth the time and effort.

Good luck on the horseshoes :)

Boyd 

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Question: Those horseshoes are lovely but would you actually see them once you copper plate the hull?

That remains to be seen, JS. 

I'll try a test this weekend. First up, I'm trying to find some copper foil (thinner than the tape included in the kit for doing the copper plating). My thinkin' being that using a thinner medium would make it easier to press the foil into the ring-pull.

I had always figured on doing some form o' colouration to the patina, so having different thicknesses/textures should not matter.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I must hold you responsible for leading me (an OCD family member) down the "Rabbit Hole of Obsessive Details".  :)

As such, I've been lost on the dark side for almost two weeks now without a single post on my log....however, when I do come up for air I think it will have been worth the time and effort.

Good luck on the horseshoes :)

Boyd 

Guilty as charged, Boyd !!

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your OCD work,

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Just found you Captn, mind if I stow away and stick my head up now and again.

I think were in for just as interesting a ride as with the Bounty Launch. Really looking forward to it.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Arrr ...

It be most goodly to have ye along fer the ride, Mobbsie !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Okay, I'm in too! Looks like you have some really interesting mods going on here.

Oh, and for the record, I don't have OCD..................... I have CDO...............'cause the letters really should be in the correct alphabetical order! ;)

Cap

do I miss something because my poor english ?

Looking above picture first I think about was beer can top with oppening mechanism

post-4738-0-51060900-1429788368_thumb.jpg

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Work of bashing genius !!!!

:pirate41::10_1_10: :10_1_10: :10_1_10:

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Okay, I'm in too! Looks like you have some really interesting mods going on here.

Oh, and for the record, I don't have OCD..................... I have CDO...............'cause the letters really should be in the correct alphabetical order! ;)

:D  I have two mates who have the same affliction. And when they get together it's an installment of "The Bickerson's", nattering back and forth on some detail. They're a hoot!

This will be a most interesting build. :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Cap

do I miss something because my poor english ?

Looking above picture first I think about was beer can top with oppening mechanism

Nenad your right it's a pull ring on top of a beer or soda can

Yep !! JP is correct. Except mine came from cans of Jim Beam & Cola (ZERO sugar)

Work of bashing genius !!!!

:pirate41::10_1_10: :10_1_10: :10_1_10:

Thank Ye, Nenad.

But only when I can conduct some trials. 

And only IF the idea actually doest work.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Welcome aboard, Grant.

(By the way ... I should have the REAL table-saw early next week.)

:D  I have two mates who have the same affliction. And when they get together it's an installment of "The Bickerson's", nattering back and forth on some detail. They're a hoot!

This will be a most interesting build. :)

I should be organizing an official CDO/OCD stand .... only problem is that my build would be finished before we could all agree WHERE it should be located.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Not just where, but which way it needs to face, what color, and then there'll be someone constantly wiping any fingerprints off.   ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You wouldn't have to worry about the stand being finished before you figured out where to put it if I offered to help build it. It might end up with too many details though for anyone to be able to sit in it though.

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Hey CaptainSteve, I wonder if it's possible to design removable planking?

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Mine quite often IS, Matt ... this is why my accountant recommends I buy shares in Isopropyl !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Well, Isopropyl beats dynamite for removing planks-and it's cheaper :o

Harvey

Also, Harv', less vacuuming is needed afterwards ...

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Well, Isopropyl beats dynamite for removing planks-and it's cheaper :o

Harvey

But not as much fun....  :rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: