USS Constitution by CaptainSteve - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 scale

Hi Captain Steve,

Been enjoying following along from the back row and your Connie is looking great!

I have a feeling every hour spent getting the shape of these blocks absolutely right will save endless trouble down the road!  :)

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

CaptainSteve,

Awesome detail work...and I know the feeling about rework...yesterday it took me 30 seconds to ruin 2 hours of work!!

I think I need to build a couple more Ships before I take on something like the USS Constitution  :)

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Yer last photo had some good looking pieces there, Cap'n. But don't ye be leavin' any o' yer blud on the scantlings, unless yer meaning to paint them bulwarks in Claret.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I had to do the same thing with my Connie and was very happy when they turned out symmetrical. Nice work.

Captain, I am glad my pictures can be of help. You are on the same track I was - many redos, reusing pieces of parts and adding new wood to them, etc. In the end, I liked the result and yours looks like they will do nicely. So far, I think this was the hardest part of the build, so hang in there and you will be through to more fun stuff.

Stick with it Sir, all will come good and you can then sit back with a full can and enjoy your endeavours.

Nice bit of iron work mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks fer the comments guys. Much appreciated.

And Tom, thanks again for your pictures.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

This just be a brief update fer now … jus’ to be proving that reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Work has progressed in CaptainSteve’s shipyard o’er the past few weekends, despite him havin’ not a lot to show fer it.

First up, Our Hero has managed to finish his bow framing …
post-675-0-34731200-1433147071_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-63338600-1433147074_thumb.jpg

But it were to be upon turning his attentions stern-wards that CaptainSteve didst come-eth unstuck.

“Me main problem,” Our Hero were to begineth, “were in not bein’ able to visualize the filler blocks properly in all three dimensions.”

The first set which Our Hero were to be happy with didst verily look most good … but be totally unsuited to the stern o’ this ship.

“These were the MK II version … “ CaptainSteve didst mutter-eth under his breath, “in a long line o’ failures. Ye can see that I be takin' too much off where the red arrows be.”
post-675-0-77745200-1433147076_thumb.jpg

Essentially, what he didst end-eth up doin’ were to be marking precisely where the rabbet line wouldst be-eth …. and thence Dremelling everything else into sawdust. Then didst follow some light sanding with ever-reducing grit sizes, until he were to be satisfied wi' the shape o' Connie's derriere.

"I be a-modelling this stage with a vision in mind ... clothed in a tight pair o' Levi Strauss jeans."

Finally, Our Hero didst push-eth his chair back from the work-bench, wipe-eth his brow, and declare-eth, “The MK XVII version ‘ere doth look to be keepers.”
post-675-0-60935500-1433147079_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hi Captain Steve,

I see lots of careful, patient work going on here.....those blocks look very nicely shaped to me.  Great work!  :)  

I see in other logs that it is rather easy to break off the tops of the frames, especially as they thin during fairing. Have you considered making some temporary braces (perhaps basswood?) to run across the deck to support the frames during fairing and then planking so it is easier to turn the hull over as needed. Strips of metal glued to the inside of the frames may work as well...just a thought!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Edited by UpstateNY

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Nicely done Capt, I can just about imagine you in a pair of tight fitting Levi's, or were you thinking of someone else. :D  :D

Whichever it was it certainly worked.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Your Mk XVII stern pieces look sufficiently "sturdy" compared to the Mk II "stiletto" look. Much more appropriate for a man o' war. Maybe if you do a yacht some day....

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Hi Captain Steve,

I see lots of careful, patient work going on here.....those blocks look very nicely shaped to me.  Great work!  :)  

I see in other logs that it is rather easy to break off the tops of the frames, especially as they thin during fairing. Have you considered making some temporary braces (perhaps basswood?) to run across the deck to support the frames during fairing and then planking so it is easier to turn the hull over as needed. Strips of metal glued to the inside of the frames may work as well...just a thought!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Thanks Nigel ... 

I am actually planning on adding more filler blocks soon. These will go between the bulkheads, in an attempt to give the build more stability. I got the idea from reading quite a few build-logs here on MSW. Check out JesseLee's Syren build, or the current work from Mr Hollom, to see what I mean.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Nicely done Capt, I can just about imagine you in a pair of tight fitting Levi's ... :D  :D

Arrr ...

That be most disturbing, Mobbsie.

:cheers:

Your Mk XVII stern pieces look sufficiently "sturdy" compared to the Mk II "stiletto" look. Much more appropriate for a man o' war. Maybe if you do a yacht some day....

To put them into perspective, Ken, think of MK II as the Alessandrino Ambrosio version ... MK XVII is more the Kim Kardashian version.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

It is so nice to see such excellent work from someone, who too, suffers from the debilitating disorder OCD! Very impressive sir, very impressive indeed!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Nice job on those filler-blocks Captain! I know getting those right is a major hurdle. Congrats!!!   :dancetl6:

Cheers :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Cap'n Steve, that's one of those unwanted thoughts forever seared into my brain.  Maybe some rum will wash it away... need  a number for the Nutz Brothers.

Ken

It's not OCD... it's CDO.. let's get it in alphabetical order there gents!!!!! :D  :D

Nice done on the stern.... I'm not going to visualize any of those ladies hanging the back of your Connie..  :P  :P

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You ok, Cap'n? Looking forward to new progress, hope all is well.

Arrr ...

I be okay, CH, thanks fer askin'. Well, as OK as my therapist will attest to, anyways. The reason fer the long delay betwixt postings wouldst be that I has set meself three tasks to complete afore posting the details to me next log update. As of this most recent weekend, the biggest and hardest o' these tasks now be 80% completed.

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Does this have anything to do with a certain rim in the sky? My navy buddy gave me a spoiler!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Har Har, Matt !!

Nay. That game hath been played to death. But I do plan on taking holidays at work when the next Elder Scrolls doth arrive-eth !!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

As fer Harvey's comment above .... Lemme jus' be sayin' that I 'ave no comment.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

What the Cap'n means: Fuhgedaboudit! :o:)

We're all waiting to hear of our hero's (?) adventures. Whenever you're ready, that is.

Edited by Canute

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Elder Scrolls

Now I remember where I have seen that face before. Wicked, mean, nasty and ugly. 

But he swings a mean club.

And probably holds his beer, whiskey, rum and gin pretty well.

post-246-0-11502700-1437526451.jpg

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Arrr ...

He be on to me !!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)