USS Constitution by bthoe – Model Shipways – Scale 1:76.8 – 1812 era

Last weekend, I visited Boston for the first time ever.  Well, actually, it was just the cab ride from the airport to Charlestown and back that I went through Boston.  We spent 3 days in Charlestown, just a few blocks from Constitution, and all I did was spend time on and around the ship and in the museum.  I liken it to being a kid in a candy store, not knowing what to do first! 

IMG_4081.thumb.JPG.a58414be2fed49cfcebc17db235e3bf2.JPG

Although masting and rigging are quite a long way away for me, I was disappointed that Constitution wasn't fully masted, sparred, and rigged until I noticed masts and spars on the ground between the ship and drydock.  I took many photos of them from angles that I never would have seen had they been where I was expecting them to be. 

IMG_4427.thumb.JPG.ae98de8ca713eb52778e74f9cff5c5c1.JPGAnyway, I'd be happy to share what I have with any of you.  It was a real thrill to see the "real thing" up close for the first time.  I hope you all have the chance to see it sometime.

My best,

Midshipman 3/c (Ret.) Bob

Current Build:      Model Shipways USS Constitution

Previous Builds:  Model Shipways Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Model Shipways Norwegian Sailing Pram

Model Shipways 18th Century Long Boat

Oh, dang.  That would be a bit disappointing to get there and see that the masts and rigging had been removed for work!  Were you able to tour on the ship and the various decks, anyways?  Definitely need to put a Boston trip on my must-do list before I start my own Constitution build! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways 

Thanks for the likes folks, and I promise that you will see more photos as I get to detailing those particular areas.  In the meantime, if you are interested in anything in particular, just ask - I'd be happy to share anything I have.

Hi Gregg,

It wasn't all bad about the masts and spars - I did get a LOT of details on them because they were on the ground that I could have never seen way up in the air.

Yes, the ship was open.  As a modeler, I was disappointed that some of the areas were roped off on the Gun Deck, like the bow area.  I had hoped to get details of the hawse holes the bitts, and the pathway of the anchor rope.  I know that I want to do things differently than as it is now, as it is set up for anchor chain rather than rope.  I'll need to rely more on drawings, and online photos/videos.

As for the captain's/admiral's area in the stern, it would have been nice to have access to get more details of the inner galleries, bedrooms, and stern area where I'll have windows.   Again, I'll need to rely on others' photos/videos and drawings for inspiration.  

On the Spar Deck, the entire main hatchway was battened down (covered by canvas),  I had hoped to see more details of joinery, etc.  I was able to see it from below, but my view area was restricted due to deck support spars.  I suppose I could have laid down on the deck and shot upwards, but the ship had other visitors as well 😉.

Seriously, it was a thrill to even be there, and there was a lot to see.  I likened it earlier to a kid in a candy shop - it's like you have a preset idea of things you want to detail, and it goes out the window when you see it in person! :).

Hi Unegawahya,

Yes, I have for SURE seen that 3D site, and it's great.  However, sometimes what you are most interested in seeing is in border areas of images or wasn't detailed at all.   I don't mean to sound ungrateful for what is there, because there's a LOT.  But I find myself thinking, "gee I wish they got X from a different angle/better detail". 

Edited by bthoe

I have approximately 25,500 images of the ship from the very earliest in 1857 to the present showing all kinds of detail from multiple angles and multiple sources (public & private) that I have collected since about 2014. Should you or anyone else need a image showing particular detail, there is a good chance I may have it. Just ask.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

As someone else recently mentioned Jon, you ARE the answer man!! :)

Hey, I'm a life long 77 year old bachelor with no one to answer to except myself and the cat, so I've got time to gather stuff and organize it for easy retrieval. I try to share the wealth.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Thank you Dziadeczek!  That will be helpful for later -- I have to get the hull planked first!  I'll let you all know when I get around to detailing the Gun Deck.

Best,

Hi all, it's been a productive weekend.  I planked Starboard and Port sides 8 forward strakes from bulkhead N to bow, and stair-stepped forward one on each subsequent strake.

IMG_4496.thumb.JPG.c4ce7737f2288f4ee27e412da43af3b4.JPG

IMG_4497.thumb.JPG.32b492e17433749df4485c9fe418df3f.JPG

Now I need to figure out the stern at the counter! :)