Harriet Lane by bobandlucy - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:96

Bob - it's looking really nice so far - missing parts are sent (or not!) to try us. At least ME are sending them out.

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent some time blackening eyebolts and some of the remaining PE parts. I think I've got this down now. Soak in acetone, into pickling solution, into baking soda solution, back into acetone and then the blackening agent.

Dry fitting the pilot house/roof/funnel. I was happy to see that the angle for the funnel is built in to the offset holes in the pilot house roof and deck. Trying to decide if the tic marks for eyebolts/guys on the paper funnel ended up in the right place. . .

I really screwed up the pilot house. Did not get the outer wall curved portion centered, and the doors are not equidistant from the demising wall. When the stairs below the doors are added, they will be offset from one another and apparent when viewed from above. So, I'm thinking to install the stairs only on the "good side," and treat the other as a window. I also botched the card sheet part for the reveals on the pilot house, and I seem to have trouble getting this replacement part, in particular, so may try to make my own. So, this area represents my biggest blunder so far on this model. I'm leaning toward living with it. Now the pressure is off!

The building does not sit perfectly on the deck. I will try to close the gaps with paper skirting.

109_1132.thumb.JPG.c1a400cdbadd12572cb1109a4369678c.JPG

Hi Bob - Looking great!  Yeah, I've been struggling, as well, with the "perfect process" in blackening brass eyelets and other shiny parts, with attempts using combinations of acetone, vinegar, pickling juices, blackening solution and paint.

Someone once mentioned to me that these little imperfections that you notice may not be noticeable at all to the casual admirer.  As you suggested, adapt the best you can, live with it, take the pressure off yourself, and let others enjoy your hard work.  

Congrats on your work to-date!

Gregg

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

I just noticed in the photo above that I had forgotten to mask the upper wheel housing fan-shaped PE part as I had intended to do, before spraying primer on the rest of the assembly, and thus sprayed gray primer into the blackened interior. So, at certain angles and lighting, it looks like the enclosure had a lighter colored interior floor- when of course in reality there would be no floor at all. I am considering risking masking things up and spraying the PE area again with black. Opinions?

Finished funnel assembly primed and ready to paint black:

109_1133.thumb.JPG.ed12f20ddcc8b197bc283777fc46039a.JPG

Painting the roofs. The three rectangular openings (for gratings) had to be cut out, they only had location lines.  I used my scalpel and they came out pretty clean. The numerals on the piece were burned completely through. No harm done.

109_1140.thumb.JPG.79581282c237cae057b7945fb00e0f94.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I made my own card part for the reveals on the pilot house. It's not exactly the same as the supplied part, but I think it will do. You can see that I was not completely successful in closing the gap at the intersection of the building with the deck.

109_1171.thumb.JPG.6259e13d52e1f8cdd9a1018cca646efb.JPG

Installed the cabin vents, skylights, air intakes, wheel housing walkways, bulwark cleats and the remaining deck structures. I'm working on the steering housing now. After that the bulwark rails.

109_1174.thumb.JPG.6870b966fe4fc6167deb3df1705071bd.JPG

I really messed up in not installing the wheel axles/bearings prior to gluing the cabin to the deck, but managed to sneak them in OK. The stairs leading from the roof to the walkways on top of the wheel housings did not quite reach far enough, so I added ledgers to the walkways, and glued wood strips to the bottoms of the stair stringers. There was a dimensional problem with the stairs at the rear of the cabin, and had to sand away the roof overhang so that the stairs would fit.

109_1175.thumb.JPG.3ff2fc04e568cf2fcb521c5af31f28ce.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

11 hours ago, druxey said:

Coming along well, despite the minor difficulties.

Thanks, David. I don't see how it would be possible to construct a model like this one without encountering some dimensional issues, and I enjoy solving problems the best I can. I'm happy with this one so far! The biggest challenges are ahead, with the masting and rigging. I'll probably slow to a crawl at that point, but am looking forward to it.

Installed the aft bulwark rails and finished the steering housing yesterday. I think they came out well. The wheel arrived just in time. It was a little too large to fit, so I cut the hand holds back a little so it was not interfering with the deck.

109_1182.thumb.JPG.ee33f5347ad058af571f1793f2635a8a.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

13 hours ago, druxey said:

You did a very neat job of the internal planking around the stern, Bob. That is tricky!

Thanks for noticing, David! The stern area, so far, was the most difficult. Both the planking and the spirketting. I ripped out my first attempt at the spirketting. Second try was much better. Here's a better view:

109_1183.thumb.JPG.e61b9c49b78e9f9d77b024411b835abd.JPG

It amazes me how strong it all became in the end.

I was lucky to have been sent four copies of the bow fairlead. Lucky because I broke three of them. Instructions are to soak the bent area and bend around a 1/8" dia. dowel. On the fourth try I bent the piece around a 1/8" dia. hard brass rod, heated with a torch. Not perfect, but it's done. There is a notch provided on the fairlead which is meant to accommodate the bowsprit. Since my bowsprit is close to flush with the bulwark rails, a gap is left. I'm not sure if I should attempt to fill the gap.

109_1194.thumb.JPG.827b667bd558340239144167a1b2e06e.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

Installed the remaining 3 guns and the "sponson" (wheel and water closet assembly) support chains. The chains were challenging, as they are supposed to be without slack. Eventually, I found that if I glued them at all points of contact it was better. At the king posts, I drew the chains through leaving a little slack, then applied CA gel to 2-3 chain links, then pulled them taut with the gelled links going into the hole in the posts.. This seems to be working.

I'm not sure if the four empty gun ports would have had guns, or if they moved the four guns around as needed.

Just  need to install the funnel guy cables, whistle operating rope, and bell- then will be moving on to masts and rigging. Seems like a turning point in the project.

To this point, I am pleased that I could do a fairly decent job!

110_0002.thumb.JPG.8f16bfbbc34982c3ed3db55516ef3993.JPG

110_0003.thumb.JPG.eb7345a0ac3b2317026f9dbcf65a74ae.JPG

110_0004.thumb.JPG.8823936031456e21107c3f21aff72161.JPG

110_0007.thumb.JPG.af5e26bfe7e296854e688aa90e290c4d.JPG

110_0008.thumb.JPG.a1bb9a5c216156dc200a6a7c4a4f2541.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

I used the last of the small (1/32") eyebolts. I think the parts list interchanged the quantities for medium and small. I've ordered more, but they've been on backorder for over a month. So I am trying different methods of making my own. In the picture below, the first is one I made using soft 24 ga. copper wire. The one in the middle is the kit-supplied, which I had already blackened, and the last is one I made of very hard "music" wire, from the hardware store.

The kit came with only a foot length of 24 ga. wire which I assume is for the stropping. Might be enough for some, but not for me! Fortunately, it is readily available and relatively cheap at the hardware store.

110_0044.thumb.JPG.b59298eadcd3562184cf528c2d773e4f.JPG

The main (aft) mast with blocks added, using the last of the kit eyebolts. I'm learning (once again) that attention must be paid to the final block orientation when bending the stropping hooks- I goofed, and ended up changing the 3 eyebolts on the aft side of the mast to a horizontal position (should be vertical) to correct my mistake. No one I know will notice. . .

I'm using Syren blocks and rope.

110_0052.thumb.JPG.444a8a870968694b5b8919f7e3a20604.JPG

110_0048.thumb.JPG.0c2968f44218c645a3788c084c8a0534.JPG

This is the fore mast cap with my homemade soft copper eyebolts. I hope the ME ones get here quick, because I think they look better, and are certainly easier to deal with. I did not want to set up for blackening for just these two bolts, so painted them with somewhat poor results. Even the blackened ones are needing some paint touchup after manhandling them with pliers while stropping. I need some plastic-tipped needle nose or some thing else for doing this. . .

110_0056.thumb.JPG.c910cad166664adf16a112e15404d5ad.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

Boom, gaff, and three yards shaped. I'm pretty happy with these, and no longer fear shaping from rectangular (in fact I enjoy it). Toothpick shown for scale. I broke a couple of the yards while shaping, and used the spares provided. Very delicate at the arms.

The jibboom from the kit is tapered incorrectly. It is supposed to begin taper 2/3 of its length forward, but the laser-cut sides begin taper at about 1/3 length. This resulted in a very loose fit at the bowsprit cap. I made a replacement from 1/8" dowel.

110_0062.thumb.JPG.f8398c744d6a57d6bcf531cf795f09dc.JPG

Still have not received the small eyebolts from ME, and I'll need them to continue. Other suppliers also seem to be out of them. I can make a pretty good eyebolt from the soft copper wire I have, but do not want to attempt to use it in these spars. I ordered some half hard copper wire which should arrive tomorrow, hopefully it is more suitable.

Edited by bobandlucy

Hi Bob - Your Harriet Lane looks really great.  Nice job!  I am sure you have checked all the resources and I don't know what size you are needing, but I was able to purchase a supply of eyebolts from MicroMark the first part of June and they shipped promptly.  Of course, that was a month ago and inventories change...

Continuing to watch your build log with interest.

Gregg

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Though I hate taking things out of sequence, there is always something to do. Added the blocks to the gaff. I thought stropping the 1/8" blocks with wire was difficult, until I  encountered both 1/8" and 3/32 on this gaff, stropped with rope. This required the highest magnification I have available. . .

110_0075.thumb.JPG.78b16318df093df320d06b9fad4f73e1.JPG

110_0076.thumb.JPG.38a294bae96ffcf79e5be913a938853d.JPG

Installed the traveler.

110_0081.thumb.JPG.6c1fe6ead2b71a9aae80ec10a783f72b.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

Completed fitting the yards (except for the foot ropes), using my homemade eyebolts. I did find some 26 gauge half-hard brass wire and am using that. I couldn't be happier with these yards- this is really delicate work, and I think this is the best I can do at this point.

110_0091.thumb.JPG.72208824d367d0e383803a26737e41d6.JPG

110_0089.thumb.JPG.dda9c057e15a14bd2a6e37199c3e6913.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

On 7/15/2022 at 4:00 PM, druxey said:

Well done, Bob. Those home-made eyebolts look fine.

Impressed with the small eyebolts, as well!  What size did you make these?

Gregg