Harriet Lane by bobandlucy - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:96

In yet another diversion, I started the ships' boats. Like the rounded portion of the water closets, these are shaped from solid wood assemblies made by gluing strips together, then carved/sanded to finish. Fun! I like having these little side projects to do while sorting out larger issues. First one is not perfect, but will do.

107_1107.thumb.JPG.0fbe0d3ffc2ce7223fc673a6a188c275.JPG

Got the rub rail installed and am ready to prime the hull. I'm considering using the airbrush vs. canned primer. Canned would certainly be easier, but if I go that route I will order the same primer as the designer used, as I was not happy with the last session using the stuff I have. I tend to get somewhat paralyzed by such decisions. . .

Built the first companion as another delaying tactic, simple but difficult, if you know what I mean:

107_1123.thumb.JPG.5091f735de1dbc311258f55c5f509af4.JPG

I had missed the door; it is not mentioned in the instructions and is not shown here. I can't find a picture in the manual showing this item, but I have painted the piece white and will add before storing this item away to add to the deck in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Received the Tamiya gray primer, did first priming and filling. Applied second coat and sanded lightly with 400 grit paper. You can see I sanded through the primer in a few areas, but I believe that was caused by irregularities that needed sanding out. I thought the sanding was necessary because the primer leaves a definite "tooth" on the surface. The directions for the spray do not mention sanding between coats or at final coat, so I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing. Maybe the roughness is meant for paint adhesion? Also, I'm not sure if I should be re-priming the entire hull or just the areas getting filler. . . but I'm doing the entire hull as uniform thickness may be important.

Regardless, this primer is way better than what I had been using. Very small cans, it took most of a can for each coat. Expensive, but seems worth the cost. 

The lines showing between planks are almost completely gone now, the hull is very smooth. I see a couple of problem areas left and will do one more round, and then call it good.

107_1127.thumb.JPG.87559201c095755091fd85d24d0a5a8b.JPG

107_1128.thumb.JPG.421a1b2c9bbc30e2cfdf97f8924711d4.JPG

107_1129.thumb.JPG.471d525befc34607382ced6addd3483a.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

A sanding of the first coat of primer will show up any minor defects, as you've found out, but the final primer coat should not need sanding. Your hull is looking very good now.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks, David. That makes sense. I did not sand the first coat- I guess after the second coat the general fuzziness of the bare, sanded basswood was highlighted and not made by the primer itself.

Update: actually I do not remember if I sanded the first coat or not. . . I'm sleepless right now and maybe should stay out of the hobby room. The instruction manual does say to do as David says above, and anyway I should know this by now. I'll know what's up when I do the final coat of primer.

Edited by bobandlucy

Bob, looks great. 

I just sat down after the first prime coat and learned something new sand this one and not the next.  Time to get back up and go over the hull again and hopefully no more defects.

Life is to short to be serious all the time. So, if you can't laugh at yourself, your not doing it right.

Current Builds

18th Century Armed Longboat 

Finished Builds

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Norwegian Sailing Pram

• 2 weeks later...

Made the two skylights for the pilothouse/cabins. The PE bar grilles for the double panels did not fit, so cut then in half and centered them in the openings. The small one was trickier than one would think! Naturally, I now see in the photos some needed paint touch-up. . .

108_0008.thumb.JPG.a6c3a5233c6b14f51489634687bf8212.JPG

108_0011.thumb.JPG.2b0f4d6c6f32dfea8870846613a74c21.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

I raised the waterline at bow and stern  as indicated in the manual. Painted the hull by hand, as the boat is too big to fit into my paint booth. Wish I hadn't! I was worried about thinning the ME gloppy paint for the airbrush. . . Anyway, I think it is passable, but is not as smooth as it should have been considering that the hull was looking pretty sweet after priming with rattle can.  I did thin the paint some with water. Oh, well- I've given up on perfection, and really, I've seen and done worse. . . This model, for me is going to be all about the rigging!

108_0017.thumb.JPG.787912b16041057ccb073f0190c41d4b.JPG

108_0018.thumb.JPG.a691822a5c3f47851d1900019754000c.JPG

Thank you guys. Distance is forgiving. . .

Hand-painted one of the lower wheel assemblies and added to the hull. This would have been much easier to spray paint, but I have read that the Model Expo paint is not suitable for airbrushing. I do have some Badger airbrushing paint on order, but that will take a while to get to me- and I want to keep moving forward. I think it came out pretty good. A gap is visible underneath the sponson deck. I don't want to try and fill this right now, as this gap will probably be closed or obscured by the addition of the deck. I will probably paint the edge of the deck black and see how that looks. If it needs more work, at least the deck will provide a backing for filler.

108_0048.thumb.JPG.9f8f472b6e0809bc19feec31fcf82f67.JPG

You've gone nuts, Bob!  (You knew someone had to say it...)  Looks really good! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Placed the bow eagle ornament, and added two eyebolts (my first chemical blackening). 

108_0055.thumb.JPG.8a4570042931bbcfa651b23cfde71df2.JPG
Mounted the ship on it's stand. Nerve-wracking but turned out OK, Replaced the kit's vertical wood support dowel with hard brass rod. Started to place some of the deck furnishings at the bow.

108_0064.thumb.JPG.687f64ceb640069e2c25e34fb4e36c73.JPG

108_0066.thumb.JPG.5d2d9c6f36b7e523c28ee0e43c21bb98.JPG

108_0068.thumb.JPG.37ef249ce54b38dbf021204cc2502243.JPG

On 4/14/2022 at 7:44 PM, bobandlucy said:

I raised the waterline at bow and stern  as indicated in the manual. Painted the hull by hand, as the boat is too big to fit into my paint booth. Wish I hadn't! I was worried about thinning the ME gloppy paint for the airbrush. . . Anyway, I think it is passable, but is not as smooth as it should have been considering that the hull was looking pretty sweet after priming with rattle can.  I did thin the paint some with water. Oh, well- I've given up on perfection, and really, I've seen and done worse. . . This model, for me is going to be all about the rigging!

108_0017.thumb.JPG.787912b16041057ccb073f0190c41d4b.JPG

108_0018.thumb.JPG.a691822a5c3f47851d1900019754000c.JPG

Looks fine! Remember, perfection can be the enemy of the good.

Looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Some more progress, fun stuff! More work to be done on the windlass mechanism. One of the spurlings (cast pipe directing the anchor chains to below deck) is missing. Only one is indicated on the parts list, and only one was supplied- yet another request has been made to ME for the part. 

You can see that the skylight on the companion is not centered well, but this will not really be apparent when viewed from the side. I'm not going to sweat over it.

108_0076.thumb.JPG.47b9c096c55ee6c16314fd1d498cf5f1.JPG

108_0078.thumb.JPG.8709affecfa716e3f71af39f60f6c658.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

Added the upper wheelhouses and I am again struck by the elegance of design in this ship. If you follow the line of the center wheel housing downwards you'll see that it aligns with the support arms for the lower wheel assembly to create a beautiful line. For a warship, at least to me, this is unexpected. I'm so glad that this ship was selected as the fourth in this instructional series.

108_0083.thumb.JPG.ccacf237982520aa14d13166770fe178.JPG

108_0087.thumb.JPG.9ea2ba3859c8590a9f7420a408fd5b79.JPG

This little structure at the location of the forward mast is very delicate! So pleased with the result.

108_0093.thumb.JPG.b1e76616b7d29109a772f21e1d8f12dd.JPG

4 hours ago, druxey said:

Doing a fine job, Bob. Hope the other spurling arrives soon!

Thank you David. Your assessment is very meaningful to me. 

I am settling down a bit, and accepting what comes as far as the parts list errors. There's always something else to do while waiting for the mailings. I've decided that the time in the shop is the gift of this hobby. It really doesn't matter that much what particular bit I am working on. I have a cork board with completed bits in zip bags pinned for addition to the model at the appropriate time. And I have another model to begin if it comes to that. But that option is probably a ways off.

Bob

Made the gun carriages and installed  the guns. Went to rig them and guess what? The rope specified in the manual with part number is not included in the parts list and was not  supplied. Another request to ME has been made. Maybe it can be sent this year. . . guns in bags and pinned to the cork board!

108_0116.thumb.JPG.952f14046ba6506362ad25db7a32cfc4.JPG

Bob

Your work looks great, I am going to wait to your done to see what more hassles you have with parts missing.  I ordered the Picket Boat as my next one.  Maybe the Harriet-Lane will be my number 5 build.

Gary

Life is to short to be serious all the time. So, if you can't laugh at yourself, your not doing it right.

Current Builds

Finished Builds

Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Norwegian Sailing Pram

1 hour ago, tlee01 said:

Bob

Your work looks great, I am going to wait to your done to see what more hassles you have with parts missing.  I ordered the Picket Boat as my next one.  Maybe the Harriet-Lane will be my number 5 build.

Gary

Gary, thanks for the complement.

I selected this model because I wanted to complete the instructional series. It has not disappointed in that respect. It has been a great challenge to my skills, and I'm happy to have met the challenge so far (mostly). I also find it visually pleasing. Because it is a longer-term project, the parts problems so far have not been crippling. I am trying to keep the best attitude I can- something I'm not famous for. . . It's funny how much patience I easily muster in the shop, and how I struggle with the same when dealing with other issues.

I do wish that ME had done a better job in developing the parts list, and identifying the parts simply missing, perhaps having someone build the model using the kit as sold. ME has indicated that they are taking my comments, doing their own due diligence, and making revisions to the parts list and kit contents as required. I wish it could happen faster, but they are a large company with many offerings and many customers. In my own working life, I saw how client service can become kind of a juggling operation as a company grows in size, so I am somewhat sympathetic.

I also am a bit disappointed that my two inventories (first one parts list against the materials supplied, second the manual against the parts list) did not reveal all of the missing parts. In doing this work I realize how tough this is. I spent a good chunk of time, and still missed some items. If I had caught all of them early, I'd probably have them in hand now.

So, I'm sorry if my comments have deterred you from tackling this model- I am only reporting my experience, but waiting until the bugs are worked out might not be a bad idea. Kind of like buying a new-issue car.

bob

It seems that you have become the beta builder, Bob! I appreciate you being  patient as you wait for bits and bobs to arrive. A little bird has told me that future kits will have in-house beta test builds before they go on the market.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Bob

You have not deterred me in any way.  Its on my list to due and following log has been helpful, I was going back and forth and thought I let MS take care of some of their problems.  I have found dealing with them is really great, and when I find parts missing they get them to me quickly.  I am hoping to have the smack done by my knee replacement in June.  Then during my recovery (when I am off pain meds) start the pricket.

I hope my skills come up to your level, I am kit bashing parts of the smack and really enjoy the challenges that come with that.

Thanks and I will keep watching.

Gary

Current Builds

Finished Builds

Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Norwegian Sailing Pram