Hi from Massachusetts

Chris H

Hi Everyone! 

My name is Chris. I'm a new to the site and been working on my first build kit (atlantic kit from Bluejacket -- linked below). I actually purchased the model about a year and half ago but just recently picked it up to work more earnestly. I built a few models as a kid with my dad but haven't done anything similar since. 

I'm a software engineer in my day job so really enjoying a hobby that's not on the computer!

I've enjoyed looking through everyone's build logs and excited to have my own complete one (hopefully) soon. 

Welecome to MSW, Chris.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

16 hours ago, Chris H said:

I'm a software engineer in my day job so really enjoying a hobby that's not on the computer!

I can identify with that remark!  (though I then spend time on the computer looking at MSW).

Welcome to MSW.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

Very happy to see another new member, welcome!!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome Chris,

I'm new here myself, about a week or so ahead of you. I just started my build log for the Lady Nelson, look forward to following yours! Stay warm.

Edited by Dave_E
Spelling

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Hi Chris and welcome to Model Ship World.  I had a look at your Atlantic build log and you are doing a good job building this model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hello and welcome to the site.  Always up for answering a question.  Good luck with your Atlantic…..

On 12/2/2021 at 7:25 PM, Chris H said:

I'm a programmer by trade as well. I'm very much in the programming as craftsmanship and not engineering camp, and did a presentation at a conference regarding this (along with a like-minded colleague). As part of the presentation, we did a survey across our company to programmers and hobbies and it was fascinating to see how many were of the non-ethereal variety (as in not gaming, graphic design, etc.).

Our hypothesis is that people are drawn to the tactile nature of hard crafts, where you're actually doing something with your hands to create something out of nothing. We further believe that that is the reason why the younger generations are reviving physical crafting: Because they are raised in such a virtual world, it is very satisfying to make something with your hands and say "I did that."

7 hours ago, rock harris said:

Our hypothesis is that people are drawn to the tactile nature of hard crafts, where you're actually doing something with your hands to create something out of nothing. We further believe that that is the reason why the younger generations are reviving physical crafting: Because they are raised in such a virtual world, it is very satisfying to make something with your hands and say "I did that."

I suspect that you're prety much spot on with your assessment.   In a way, we can point to the lockdowns and also as youi put the "physical crafting".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)