HMS Sphinx 1775 by paul carruthers - Vanguard Models - 1:64 scale

On 2/2/2022 at 7:46 AM, DavidG said:

Paul, your model looks excellent. Is it just me, or the letter "N" on the transom is upside down?

You caught the upside down "N" cock-up - Good! Glad you fixed the "X" too...🤣...

Very nice work. This is an advanced kit build and you're doing a great job for only your second wooden model ship.

Edited by hollowneck
spelling

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

22 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

my rudder gap is too large but I’ve not the courage to try and remedy at this point.

What gap? Everything looks good to my eye.

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen so many build logs of the Sphinx from Vanguard here at MSW I got curious and went to the RMG Collections site.   The site has every drawing one could hope for to produce an outstanding kit, and Chris has achieved exactly that.   It is obvious a ton of study of these dozen or so drawings was made as the details from these drawings show up on the model.   https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/search/Sphinx 1775

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

That bow shot of the headworks looks good, and I like the white paint scheme of the wheel. 👍

As far as the masting is concerned, if you have a variable speed drill you can use it as a proxy lathe and hand sand any taper required, or if you're using square stock  the razor plane can be used to gradually round the  stick, finished off by hand sanding.

I don't imagine the lower masts will be too problematic because little if any taper is required, maybe some flattening for the cheeks. The tricky part will be keeping the masthead which is square in section true.

Were I doing it, I would cut around the base of the head using a razor saw 1mm deep,  glue a template of the square section on top of the dowel. Pare it down by degrees using a chisel or similar, and finish with sanding sticks, constantly checking the square.

The Topmasts are more tricky, having  an octagonal heel, square head, and flared hounds. On these I would personally start with square stock, as the rounding and tapering are easier to do, but if you're using round stock then a sharp chisel will be your friend. I would mark off each section using Tamiya tape, and begin with the rounding and tapering section between the heel and hounds.

B.E.

3 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

That bow shot of the headworks looks good, and I like the white paint scheme of the wheel. 👍

As far as the masting is concerned, if you have a variable speed drill you can use it as a proxy lathe and hand sand any taper required, or if you're using square stock  the razor plane can be used to gradually round the  stick, finished off by hand sanding.

I don't imagine the lower masts will be too problematic because little if any taper is required, maybe some flattening for the cheeks. The tricky part will be keeping the masthead which is square in section true.

Were I doing it, I would cut around the base of the head using a razor saw 1mm deep,  glue a template of the square section on top of the dowel. Pare it down by degrees using a chisel or similar, and finish with sanding sticks, constantly checking the square.

The Topmasts are more tricky, having  an octagonal heel, square head, and flared hounds. On these I would personally start with square stock, as the rounding and tapering are easier to do, but if you're using round stock then a sharp chisel will be your friend. I would mark off each section using Tamiya tape, and begin with the rounding and tapering section between the heel and hounds.

B.E.

Thanks for that, I guess slow and measure is the best way as you recommend 

Excellent work. The planking, without excessive fill and paint over, is especially impressive.

While I now have a lathe I masted many models with the drill and hand sand method BE described. Just go slow and measure tapers frequently. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 4 weeks later...

The top part around the mast cap is simply thread that secures the lift blocks shown each side (M&L), and the vertical lines you highlight are battens. These have a part number and are pre cut on one of the 0.6mm (I think) pear sheets.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook