HMS Sphinx 1775 by paul carruthers - Vanguard Models - 1:64 scale

We are our own worst critics.  Planking looks excellent from here.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I’m commencing from completion of second planking as much has been covered in other posts. This is my second model and I’ve tried to follow the build manual verbatim, nevertheless a few mistakes have been made.

Glad for any feedback 

----for some reason, the above text didn't import as a "quote" from the earlier, first post by Paul. NO biggie....

Welcome to MSW, Paul. From your photos it appears you've done a fine job thus far. Good planking. Congrats! On a scale of difficulty for high quality kits, I'd place the Vanguard Sphinx at about a 7 or 8 on a scale of 10; a definite challenge for a ship modeler's second build. Although it appears you are off to a good solid start, there are several good Build Logs here you that should help you with the balance of this challenging project.

My other recommendation is to seriously study all of the many large plan sheets provided in the kit. If you've never rigged a large square sailer, you'll soon come to appreciate these drawings; they will be very helpful for this aspect of completing your model, particularly if you don't have detailed books on this topic. One more piece of advice: DO look ahead in the excellent Build Manual. This exercise follows very closely with spending time with the plan sheets as you continue your journey.

Cheers,

Ron

(hollowneck)

Edited by hollowneck
fiddle factors

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Looking really sharp, good work. 

I really wanted to get this kit but I have to much on my plate... Still working on 3 other kits. So I'm living vicariously through people like you doing amazing work.

13 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Anyone got a fitting deadeyes into the PE for dummies please.

Just open up the PE strops enough so you can push the deadeye in place and just close the strop back up. I usually pull the strop using pliers and then 'squash' it back into shape.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

3 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I’m not going to paint the hull or copper it.

I really like that decision.. Your planking looks like a fine piece of furniture..  Would be a shame to paint it.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

Thanks, it’s my second ship model so I’ve followed the manual exactly, it’s a great kit. I have built many RCA’s aircraft tho many years ago.

is there a hard copy of mast instructions available?

You only really need the scale line drawings on the plan sets you already have for the masts. You could download the V2 manual and just print off the relevant pages, if you really wanted hard copies. I do not produce the manuals myself, this is done by a printing company here in the UK.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

image.png.f2c1ec9091d02b01220f52b4b78c8dad.png

Looks right-side up to me..  The X might be upside down..😀

― Jimmy Buffett

On 2/2/2022 at 12:46 PM, DavidG said:

Paul, your model looks excellent. Is it just me, or the letter "N" on the transom is upside down?

Your correct, the N is wrong, but the X is OK, I’ve corrected this, another positive aspect of the Mig acrylic glue is that removal is easy. Thanks for the catch.

6 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

the X is OK,

I was trying to be funny, since X looks the same upside down..

Sorry..

― Jimmy Buffett

Decks on, only partially rigged the cannon as I didn’t think I could make a realistic job of the blocks. 
had a slight gap on the bow deck so I removed part of the remaining deck maple and covered it with this, a bit of artistic license 

C9C56E6A-A438-4507-945B-04490D15E124.jpeg

D999D56E-CEBF-441F-A478-B36BDA6B1981.jpeg

Edited by paul carruthers
Pics

Nice work, you’re doing a fine job with this model. Nice to see a Sphinx being built well. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose